GENERAL LTU2 Dead?

southpole560

Noob Account
Apr 1, 2014
I was using my dg-16d5s drive the other day that has the ltu2 board installed and everything has been working fine. I've only owned this board for about 2 months and then the other day when I wanted to play gta v, it would not read it. It won't read originals or backups at all. I took it apart thinking it was the laser and that wasn't it. It acts like it wants to spins the disc but it only moves about 1 cm around. I installed my original board and the drive performs great. What do you think the problem might be? I'm pretty unhappy because I spent $50 on this board and it just crapped out on me after 2 months. I am good with soldering so any insight on probable known components would be good. I also reflashed the board and it still didn't work. Thank you in advance.

skillet34

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2012
MA USA
Where did you buy the board from? Maybe they will exchange it. Did you try to re-flash it? You have a pic of the board? maybe some damage etc.

southpole560

Noob Account
Apr 1, 2014
Yes I reflashed it. There is no visible damage but the soldering job looks crappy and there was dried flux residue on the board.i cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol too. I believe I purchased it from xconsoles.

skillet34

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2012
MA USA
Hit em up with a customer support ticket if you are sure it's the board. 2 months .......you never know.

ConsoleMoDs

Dec 12, 2013
There gonna make up some crappy info not to change it like bad flash.. or something out of the ordinary ..

skillet34

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2012
MA USA
There gonna make up some crappy info not to change it like bad flash.. or something out of the ordinary ..
Maybe, but no need to speculate. If he is polite and explains himself you never know. As I said if you are sure it's the board give it a try nothing to loose.

southpole560

Noob Account
Apr 1, 2014
I fixed the problem. It was crappy soldering on one of the IC chips. I resoldered all the legs with fresh solder and flux, gave it a water bath with soap, cleaned it with alcohol, then dried it with my heatgun. It works as good as new now!