RGH Method For Perfect Boot Times

Xepler

Noob Account
Jul 25, 2012
First off, forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section. I didn't see or have the ability to post in other forums. Now then, after experimentation with my Zephyr RGH1 I believe I have discovered a way to achieve reliable boot times. So, here's what I have found.

Method 1. Unplugging the console and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes (time to be unplugged depends on system) to reconnect it will bring a perfect boot on the first try (Random boot times from that point on until method repeated).

Method 2 (Trickiest. Console must be powered off at an exact time). After Coolrunner flashes its green glitch light three times (wait a few seconds after the third light) and then shutting off the console to power it on immediately will result in a perfect boot.

I'm currently trying to figure out why these methods work. So far why I think method one works is the timing is affected by something on the board that retains some kind of electric signal or information that dissipates after being disconnected from power for awhile. Maybe if I or someone else figures it out why these methods work we could use this information to achieve perfect boot reliability for RGH :D. Hopefully this information is helpful to someone. It works for me.

Edit: Test these methods and post your results!

Last edited:

5kmods

VIP Member
Feb 23, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
www.5k-mods.com
It wont work for for everyone the point to making it optimized is so it boots consistantly and that can only be done by trying different caps/resistances ,wires,wire lengths, wire layouts. of course timing files and your soldering also plays a huge role with glitch times..(your console) also.

Xepler

Noob Account
Jul 25, 2012
It wont work for for everyone the point to making it optimized is so it boots consistantly and that can only be done by trying different caps/resistances ,wires,wire lengths, wire layouts. of course timing files and your soldering also plays a huge role with glitch times..(your console) also.
Have you tried either method yet? I have several friends who have reported method one works. I'm the only person to experiment with method two.

5kmods

VIP Member
Feb 23, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
www.5k-mods.com
yes, but for myself this is always cleaned up with a tinkering of CPU_RST line positioning.

of course not always the case ive found different location of CPU_PLL_Bypass is another that plays a large role with boot times, I suggest trying this you may find instant boots or atleast consistant boots by tinkering a little

Dermodragon

Jul 23, 2012
Zephyr RGH1 will always be hit & miss mate so i just don't bother with them at all

My Method 1 get a falcon and do RGH instant boot
I love your method but finding RGH1able Falcons is no mean feat as far as I am concerned. You're in the UK too, where do you get them?