XGD3 MKM001 Settings not quite there...tips?

SteelNeo

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2012
Hey guys, been reading a lot on the burn settings for XGD3 disks and still seem to be coming up a bit short. I have tried several settings and here is a rundown of my setup/status:

iHas424 Burner with the correct firmware.
Burning at 4x for all burns, and using MKM001 disks.
I cleared the OCP before every burn, and sometimes after as well. My last burn I even restarted the computer after the reset.

Burn 1
Eeprom Settings
FHT=ON
OHT=ON
OS=ON
SB=ON
ImageBurn Settings
OPC=Off
Burn-PROOF=ON

PI MAX = 45
PI AVG = .89
PIF MAX = 10
PIF AVG = .16

Burn 2
Eeprom Settings
FHT=ON
OHT=ON
OS=ON
SB=ON
ImageBurn Settings
OPC=ON
Burn-PROOF=ON

PI MAX = 24
PI AVG = .94
PIF MAX = 6
PIF AVG = .18

Burn 3
Eeprom Settings
FHT=ON
OHT=ON
OS=ON
SB=ON
ImageBurn Settings
OPC=ON
Burn-PROOF=OFF

PI MAX = 39
PI AVG = .86
PIF MAX = 8
PIF AVG = .13

Burn 4
Eeprom Settings
FHT=ON
OHT=OFF
OS=ON
SB=ON
ImageBurn Settings
OPC=OFF
Burn-PROOF=ON

PI MAX = 49
PI AVG = 1.10
PIF MAX = 11
PIF AVG = .18

As you can see, my second burn was the best, but not in guidelines. Should I stick with that config and just do a couple burns? Or any thoughts on what config I should try to tweek it?

SteelNeo

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply DN. That was actually one of the very first guides I checked out and read! It started me on the trials for all of my current burns. I might try and get some MKM003's next time I order, but a little tight and already have a 20 pack (minus the 5 already used). My best burn was with everything enabled. Should I do a couple of those and let the OPC history build (aka, not clear it after every one)?

Also, does booting into safe mode really help?

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
To be honest there is no best burn in your scan results cause you are using MKM001 discs. they are MiS right?, the drive struggling to perform when beginning to burn the 2nd layer, regardless of the settings, normally when settings are changed you get quite different results but yours are strangely very similar. That would indicate a some sort of compatibility issue between the drive and the disc, it could be anything from a bad spindle of discs to a bad flash of the firmware.

Since you can't afford any discs I would re-flash the drive and see if your scans change form.

I have said many times before that I am not a fan of using OPC with on Lite-on drives, half the time you have to clear the OPC history before each burn to avoid the huge layer break spike which is a nuisance.

Remember it is difficult to gauge how your drive is operating if you don't burn a minimum of 5 discs with the same EEPROM settings.

Reactions: SteelNeo

SteelNeo

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2012
I think I see what you are saying. Thanks for the tips. I have read for sure that it varies per your setup, so just seeing how good I can get with what I currently have. Next time I have some cash I will grab a pack of the MKM003's and use those.

What I will do is go ahead and re-flash the drive and give that a go first. I do know that the drive had a newer firmware than what the BurnerMAX version was. So I had to downgrade it before flashing the BM firmware. Should I go back to stock and then put the BurnerMAX firmware on it?

I will then try and burn a few with the settings you recommended, OHT and OPC off with everything else on. Would that include having BurnPROOF on?

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
Follow Ubers posted guide to re-flash the drive and yes burnproof should be enabled as it is by default.

Don't mess with any settings in IMGBURN none, even the buffers. Only the Advanced/EEPROM settings posted in my guide need changing and be sure to power cycle th drive after each change...

Reactions: SteelNeo

FatalityxF

VIP Member
Aug 8, 2011
Follow Ubers posted guide to re-flash the drive and yes burnproof should be enabled as it is by default.

Don't mess with any settings in IMGBURN none, even the buffers. Only the Advanced/EEPROM settings posted in my guide need changing and be sure to power cycle th drive after each change...
Oh god I haven't been power cycling and have had 27 coasters with two burners..

I probably power cycled 6 times in that whole time.

:facepalm:

SteelNeo

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for all the tips DrunkenNinja. I actually did go ahead and start fresh. Reflashed the drive and reset the settings, burning a few before making any other changes. Needless to say the recommended settings seems to be working (Everything ON except OPC). MKM001 disks are slightly over the recommended settings, but verify through IMGBurn and ABGX360 without issues. I just got a pack of MKM003 disks though, just to make sure everything is of the best quality.

I will burn a few with the same settings, and if I have issues will disable the OHT as per your recommended settings). I will post if I do have issues and what I did to correct it though.

You have done a lot of great work on this topic with the other devs. I know it seems that most don't want to take the time to actually read what is already out there (even I am guilty of that at times, looking for a quick fix). So I just wanted to say a big thanks to you and the rest of the testers out there that have put time, effort, and money into stuff like this.

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
Thanks Steel, The Testers were just me and Lightning UK...

Your most welcome...

SteelNeo

Noob Account
Dec 19, 2012
Everything seems to be going good! I have only burned about 4 disks with the MKM003 media and getting PIFs around 4-5 and PIs below 50. I am sure the strategy will work it's way out in the next couple disks with the new media, but I will keep my eye on it.

I hope that I can give back to the community in some way as you guys have. Keep on, you guys rock!

Reactions: DrunkenNinja

Lord02

Noob Account
Feb 17, 2013
Does anybody know if Amazon sell MKM003 ???

Please check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/these-Singapo...&newContentID=Mx1JPLJDK4VAQZ2&newContentNum=3

Just wanted to let people know these discs to NOT work for Xbox360 XGD3 backups.
They will fail imgBurn verification ( and not work! ).
I just bought 50pack spindle of these, and can confirm they are: MKM001
but for XGD3 you need MKM003 !!

Don't know if Amazon even sell MKM003, but they ARE available from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221184950877&catId=58058&item=221184950877

For further info, please read this article:
http://www.ixtreme.net/open-forum/2...ls-my-xgd3-backups-i-need-know-something.html

petlar

Sep 2, 2011
uk
your going to get what your given at amazon (india taiwan singapore)

xconsoles in the states sells them don't know if they ship to europe. :)

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
Does anybody know if Amazon sell MKM003 ???

Please check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/these-Singapo...&newContentID=Mx1JPLJDK4VAQZ2&newContentNum=3

Just wanted to let people know these discs to NOT work for Xbox360 XGD3 backups.
They will fail imgBurn verification ( and not work! ).
I just bought 50pack spindle of these, and can confirm they are: MKM001
but for XGD3 you need MKM003 !!

Don't know if Amazon even sell MKM003, but they ARE available from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221184950877&catId=58058&item=221184950877

For further info, please read this article:
http://www.ixtreme.net/open-forum/2...ls-my-xgd3-backups-i-need-know-something.html
There are a Gazilion places you can buy MKM003 Made in Singapore Verbs you just need to know what to look for.

First MKM001 discs are only Certified up to 2.4x speed so if your verbs show any speed higher your on the right train, MKM003 discs are 8x speed so look for that.

Printable verbatim discs in my experience are always Made in Singapore and have the 8x write speed, here is an image to lock in your memory:

Search fleabay or amazon and it will throw up thousands of results :)

Finally there is nothing wrong with MKM001 discs, sure they can be more picky but I have seen people not able to write MKM003 discs get amazing results out of the MKM001 versions.

It's trial and error, granted MKM003 do appear more compatible on the whole but to say MKM001 discs are no good is way, way off the mark. Please don't give this sort of misinformation.

You need to have a complete read through this thread:

XGD3 - MKM003 / MKM001 Settings & Burn Guide - Co-written with the author of IMGBURN

To understand better, there are many settings that can make a huge difference to results, especially with MKM001 media.

Last edited: