ModMonster's Pics of Trace Repair with V Cut

Was this Post Helpful?

• Total voters

gelboy

Dec 3, 2009
somewhere
got another question about cutting the trace cuts what do people mean by lifted the pad so i know how to avoid it cheers gelboy

heartshacker

Jul 10, 2010
Is it IMP to fix the cuts? If I do not, will it work? What functionality shall I miss? Or is it mandatory to fix the cut.

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
If I am soldering a jumper cable do I make two vertical cuts on each side of the pad as apposed to a ^ cut? That is what the picture in the guide seems to indicate but I just want to make sure before I go ahead with it.

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
Awesome, thank for the quick response. Now when I plug the CK3 into the PCB I lose all power on the CK3 and the Probe. Is this because my jumper isn't soldered correctly?

marshamods

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2010
ohio
you really hacked away at the pcb :) Looks like the upper cuts are not good. The upper part of the cut does not go through the whole trace.

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
Alrighty, what did I do wrong this time...

ps - my soldering skills are basically non existent so any tips would be appreciated. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
Well I soldered it again with a lot less solder and I'm still having the same issue. Could it be I was to rough on the PCB or I cut my trace too deep?

Here's a pic:

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
You've soldered the wrong trace, on the picture above, the bottom one is soldered to the trace below the pad. Be very careful, I think your very close to damaging the board altogether. You might want to think about getting someone to do it for you.

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not so much concerned if I mess up the drive as it is a 74850c and I have already probed it for the DVD key. Is it that my bottom trace is soldered below the pad because it passes that white dividing line?

Anyways... I'll have another Lite-on to work with soon as well as a fiberglass scratch pen. :p

There doesn't seem to be a final step picture using the jumper method in the guide. A picture to give me a better idea of how it should look would be greatly appreciated.

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
I understand that but the tutorial for the V cut also mentions the second method using the jumper but does not continue with both methods. I was just wondering if anyone who uses this method has a clear picture of how the jumper should look soldered to the board and it's proximity to the trace.

The V cut seemed easier but I wanted to practice my soldering. If a picture isn't available by the time I get my fiberglass scratch pen I guess I'll just stick with that method. Regardless of what happens I appreciate the support, thank you.

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
Yee of little faith.

So I purchased a multimeter and came across a 93450c Lite-On. I decided to do the V cut and managed to get Jungleflasher to recognize the drive. My only problem now is that I cannot get it into vendor mode. I have tested my traces with my Multimeter and received the buzzing indicator, signifying that the circuit is in fact broken but I am still unable to get the drive in vendor mode. I have tried both methods of getting into vendor mode with every resistance level and still no luck.

Here is a picture if it helps.

Last edited:

Loomingx

VIP Member
Oct 19, 2010
Canada
The guide says the dremels (I used a proxxon) are preferable to xacto knifes.

If I were to solder a jumper wire would I have to make another two cuts and then solder the jumper wire outside of those cuts or will soldering outside of the V cut suffice?