My first soldering - RGH journey

faz2k2000

Nov 4, 2011
Bangladesh
I am a "do my own things type", so decided to do my RGH all by myself and started to learn soldering. This is a quick peek what i did at my first try without flux

What do you think guys? Thanks

xboxerSlim

VIP Member
Mar 4, 2011
India
lol looks like an alien tablet found in the Mississippi.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
Soldering without flux is just asking for trouble, I tried it once when I first began soldering and the result was pretty bad :facepalm:.

poisins

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alūksne, Latvia
What is flux? I can't find anything named like that (@ local store)... I'm useing Soldering acid (I hope it's same.. really good thing. My soldering expierence dramatically changed after useing it, after soldering without acid or pasta)

I'm not soldering pro, but was training on old pc mb. Waiting for my coolrunner

Sent from my GW620 (OpenEve 2.3.4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Goldensavage

VIP Member
Jul 26, 2009
Essex, UK
hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_(metallurgy)

see above. not a direct link

Flux, ensures that the two metals you are melding into one will be free of all impuirties when they do. You apply flux before soldering. When the heat comes in contact when you do solder it basically cleans all impurities of the joint and the solder can adhere much better.

It is very important if you want expert connections and avoid dry joints. A must use at all times.

-------------------edit-------------------

Some people use a flux pen, personally i use a bottle of flux and a small childs thin brush to apply. works like a charm.

Last edited:

FastX

Apr 17, 2011
I was soldering my headphones without flux and i had to resold it like 3-4 times to it was working ok ^^. But now with flux you realy get better results. I was also using one thing called "kalofonija", it looks like sand.

afiser

Jul 7, 2005
what this video to understand what flux does

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4"]How and WHY to Solder Correctly - YouTube[/ame]

faz2k2000

Nov 4, 2011
Bangladesh
@afiser, i have seen this video before, they are referring something liquid as flux.
But to my local store they are pointing me something hard and looks like crystal. what is that truly?
Also, should I apply flux first on the Motherboard with brush? then go for soldering?

thanks

afiser

Jul 7, 2005
@afiser, i have seen this video before, they are referring something liquid as flux.
But to my local store they are pointing me something hard and looks like crystal. what is that truly?
Also, should I apply flux first on the Motherboard with brush? then go for soldering?

thanks
it can be in a paste form as well, yes you apply, then solder, obviously it cleans the surface, what is the point of cleaning the surface after you have already (tried, and probably failed) soldered.