NAND Read / Write Kit Not Working

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Photos:
http://imgur.com/a/8eQgJ

Description:
I know you soldering elitists will ridicule me for this, but give me a second to explain: I started off using my Radioshack soldering iron (which sucks so much, the tip is huge, it's slow to heat, it's oxidized beyond belief, the list goes on) because my electronics one was upstairs, but I thought "Hey, I can do it, it's a QSB, how hard can it be regardless of the iron!" Needless to say, some of the pads on the QSB got ripped off (oh well, it's still usable) so then I began to follow this diagram: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28557&stc=1 which resulted in what I have now. Then I took the QSB and connected it to the ribbon cable, and then from the QSB to the "micro sd card" and then into the micro sd card reader, but when I plugged the reader into my computer, I didn't get the option to format it, and J-Runner gives me: "Failed to get DiskGeometry."

I've checked the connections with a multimeter and a magnifying glass and there's no shorts at all, all connections are strong, the resisters on the QSB are still at the 68ohms they should be, and the Xbox still turns on if I disconnect everything. What should my next step be? Attempt: http://i.imgur.com/weN0qS3.jpg ? All suggestions welcome, just please don't be a total jerk about it, I really do know what I'm doing, I was just naive enough to think QSBs would be easy enough to do with a cheap soldering iron (they're not. Go upstairs and get the proper iron.).

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
As already stated, I know how to solder, I was just using the worst possible iron. I also already stated that the console still boots and I'm not worried about ruining it as I have already glitched at least 10 consoles in the past 2 months. There are no lifted pads on the motherboard, no broken traces, no lifted resisters, no actual damage on the mobo, only on the QSB. My question wasn't "How do I fix this awful soldering job" it was "What's my next option in reading the NAND sense nothing else seemed to work." I'm considering going out to buy another SD Card reader sense the one in my laptop, and my external SD Card reader doesn't recognize it, but I really don't want to sink anymore money into this console. So I'll ask again, what's my next option in reading the NAND on this Corona v2 4GB Console?

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
The qsb was designed to be permenantly installed to the motherboard. Your soldering skills are that of a beginner..... which is fine, but this is the wrong time to learn how to solder. Does the box still boot? If so, pack that thing up and send it to a pro before you completely ruin it.
Telling him to send it to a pro, won't teach him anything. I suggest you buy a new qsb (they sell qsb only at modchipcentral) and try installing it again. Make sure to have a properly heated iron, a clean tip, and use flux. When you made the DIY sd card reader did you use 24 AWG cables for the grounds

Last edited:

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
I really appreciate that, the fact that you have faith in me is really great. Is that really the only option I realistically have? I don't want to sink more money into this console.

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
My new setup: http://imgur.com/a/WSjsC

Still doesn't work, is there anything that's clearly wrong? Everything on the motherboard is separated properly except for the bridging of the ground wire which is supposed to be bridged. The SD Card matches: http://i.imgur.com/VeWvR.jpg and my laptop doesn't recognize it. You can see in the last photo, I'm actually still using the resistor from the QSB because I know it's 68ohms which is much better than guessing with 2 33ohm resistors.

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Oh I totally understand how you could judge that book by it's cover, even I admit it looks awful. The reason I didn't just go get the proper tools is because I'm a lazy bum who has no excuse as to why he didn't go get the proper soldering iron. Do you recommend I just take everything off, clean up the pads and restart? Because if that's what it takes, I'm more than happy to.

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Patched everything up, did an actual solder job with a proper soldering iron and I still get nothing. The resistor is at 68ohms, the points match: http://i.imgur.com/VeWvR.jpg and the motherboard is plugged into a power source, but neither my laptop nor external SD Card reader recognize it! I really don't want to buy another QSB kit, they're $10 a pop and all I need is 1 piece. I'll actually return this to the customer saying "I couldn't do it" before I buy another piece, I'm only getting $30 for this install and I've already invested $20.

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Patched everything up, did an actual solder job with a proper soldering iron and I still get nothing. The resistor is at 68ohms, the points match: http://i.imgur.com/VeWvR.jpg and the motherboard is plugged into a power source, but neither my laptop nor external SD Card reader recognize it! I really don't want to buy another QSB kit, they're $10 a pop and all I need is 1 piece. I'll actually return this to the customer saying "I couldn't do it" before I buy another piece, I'm only getting $30 for this install and I've already invested $20.
Why return it and tell him you couldn't do it? That would ruin your rep, and future business. If you don't want to buy a new qsb try buying a cheap sd card reader from the dollar store that sometime work

Titanfreak736

BANNED
Oct 19, 2014
its funny you see all these posts like oh i bought it from some guy and it worked ok for a couple of months, im guessing there coming from installers like this trying to make a quick buck instead of taking time and doing it right.

Reactions: DELETED

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
The sole purpose of your post was to make me feel bad, and for that, I applaud you.

Anywho, I don't entirely understand what point you were trying to get across as I've never "bought" an Xbox from someone, I've never broken an Xbox that isn't my own (I repaired it) and of course this is a quick buck, do you honestly think Xbox modding is my life's purpose? No, it's something I do so I can pay for my gas, so I can pay for my food, so I can pay for my insurance.

But I am trying to make an honest effort to improve, and that's all that should matter.

Last edited:

Lizardpcs

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2011
Do you have the power cable plugged in to the motherboard? (don't turn it on it just needs to be plugged in)
If not you need to
1. Get off your ass and go "upstairs" and get the correct soldering iron
2. Remove everything carefully
3. Use flux and nice cables stripped just enough with no joins
4. If you aren't going to use a qsb buy a 68ohm resistor dont be so cheap

I have had trouble using a laptop SD reader before so now only use a USB one.

The reason people get angry about stuff like this is have you told the person you who owns the Xbox that you are a beginner? or do they think you are a professional with all the correct equipment doing an install the way it should be done? If I had sent my Xbox to someone thinking they were a pro and then I saw that the work looked like this and the persons excuse was I was too lazy to go upstairs and get the correct soldering iron I would spit tacks!!

Are you willing to replace this guys Xbox if you kill it? Or will you give it back and say "it just failed I didn't do anything"

Sorry for the rant but its one thing to work on your own Xbox and risk killing it but doing it on someone else is just rude.

Titanfreak736

BANNED
Oct 19, 2014
i wasnt trying to make ya fell bad man we all started somewhere, im just saying you cant do just one install and think you can sell these things thats all i am saying.

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Do you have the power cable plugged in to the motherboard? (don't turn it on it just needs to be plugged in)
If not you need to
1. Get off your ass and go "upstairs" and get the correct soldering iron
2. Remove everything carefully
3. Use flux and nice cables stripped just enough with no joins
4. If you aren't going to use a qsb buy a 68ohm resistor dont be so cheap

I have had trouble using a laptop SD reader before so now only use a USB one.

The reason people get angry about stuff like this is have you told the person you who owns the Xbox that you are a beginner? or do they think you are a professional with all the correct equipment doing an install the way it should be done? If I had sent my Xbox to someone thinking they were a pro and then I saw that the work looked like this and the persons excuse was I was too lazy to go upstairs and get the correct soldering iron I would spit tacks!!

Are you willing to replace this guys Xbox if you kill it? Or will you give it back and say "it just failed I didn't do anything"

Sorry for the rant but its one thing to work on your own Xbox and risk killing it but doing it on someone else is just rude.
1. I did, I couldn't use the RadioShack one if I wanted to clean it up properly. An iron can make all of the difference.
2. I did, it looks good as new, in fact, it looks better now than it did when I took it out of the casing!
3. I meant to get some cable today, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific kind I need. I've heard talk of needing a specifi AWG, so I held off and just bought some solder. I do have Flux though, and that's the only way I could properly glide solder the U1D1 headers back.
4. I'm just going to use the resistor on the QSB, a resistor is a resistor, it's not big deal.

On the topic of an SD card reader, I'm bidding on one right now (and winning) and it'll be here within 30 days. I have heard though that these readers are a total hit or mis with Coronas, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And trust me, all of my customers know that I am starting out and may fry their Xbox, but I guarantee a replacement Xbox if something may go wrong. At the price I'm offering this service for though, people are more than happy to take that chance.

I do understand (and appreciate) the rant though.

Alteration

Oct 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
i wasnt trying to make ya fell bad man we all started somewhere, im just saying you cant do just one install and think you can sell these things thats all i am saying.
It's the only way I can get experience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've successfully RGH / JTAG quite a few consoles now that I feel comfortable around all of the motherboards except a Zypher and Corona. It's all good though, I understand. I am selling these installs dirt cheap locally though, so I'm not offering my service as "the best" or "professionally done" or any of that marketing crap, I'm just an honest local seller for a market that hasn't existed in my area yet.

Thanks guys, but I don't think I can give anymore information that'd be beneficial to this thread until my SD card reader comes next month.

Titanfreak736

BANNED
Oct 19, 2014
well some good advice i would give ya is get a good soldering iron Hakko fx88d, with a bent conical tip, some rosin flux, good small diameter kester leaded solder, some different gauge wires 30awg for data lines, 26 awg for ground and power, 28 awg for cpu rst(sometimes). thats all you really need man thats what i use and maybe some goot wick desoldering braid, oh and most importantly a good pair of side cutters.