NAND-X Could not find flash controller

ni7ewing

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2010
Canada
Hey guys, I've been working on this j'taggable xenon board that I've had for a while now. Think about two months.

I tried and tried using the lpt method but got no results, so I ordered a nand-x usb adaptor.

I firstly tried the quick solder board with no results, so I thought I'd rip everything back to spec.

A co-worker and I spent the better part of the day cleaning the board and ensuring the solder points were clean. Then we installed the pin header that comes with the kit.

I attached the USB cable to my Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) laptop, installed the thing for the drivers through 'device manager' and fired up the coolshrimp jtag tool (right clicking and running as admin).

I made the appropriate choices (switching it to read from usb and selecting a xenon board). I click read nand and get this error.

NandPro v2.0d by Tiros

looking for usb interface device

Could not detect a flash controller!
can not continue
Press any key to continue.

I've tried it on an XP machine and with two different 'power bars'. I've tried with firefox closed, and with the xbox grounded.

after all that I hooked the board back up to a tv and it started just fine, so I know the nand is ok.

Does this sound like a soldering issue? I was so sure it was ok this time.

Are there any other suggestions I can try?

Any suggestions?

Jun 4, 2010
Read and search the NAND-X section of the forum. There's at least like a dozen of topics with the same title. However I would suggest taking a cross reading between all the J1D2 points with a multimeter and sharing that with us.

ni7ewing

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2010
Canada
Sorry guys, but I've Read and searched the NAND-X section of the forum. I've found at least like a dozen of topics with the same title.

But that's the problem, there's so many topics, but not one answer.

Some people say 'close firefox', other say 'attach a grounding wire' or 'try another power block'

I even had one guys tell me "Sounds like a Earth problem"? What does that even mean!?

Has there ever been a posting that clearly says, we're 100% sure this error message means.......?

I'm going to look at the soldering today, but am just getting to the frustrated stages of this.

Sorry guys, I was so sure I had it right.

Jun 4, 2010
The problem is board related, there have been too many posts like this where people had the message 'Could not detect flash controller' from start while others were able to read/write the NAND few times before they got the same message.

While everyone including my self initially were inclined to believe it might be related to a trace or short on the board, my recent tests lead me to believe it's caused by the NAND it self.