NAND-X JTAG Install Guides JTAG KITS #2, #5, #8, E79

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
UPDATED NAND/JTAG SOFTWARE TUTORIAL *JULY 9th 2010*

First of all this is not meant for beginners. We will help you as much as possible, however a degree of skill and understanding is expected. You should know that NAND and JTAG are two completely separate entities. NAND is for reading / writing the NAND Flash in your Xbox. The JTAG is for enabling your Xbox to boot the images you write back to your NAND such as XELL / Freeboot etc

We recommend you follow this software tutorial but there are many ways to do this - we are simply providing the hardware tools - there are many different software methods and functions - have a good read of the Nand-x and homebrew forums to get a picture of what you wish to achieve from JTAG'ing.

This driver pack for NAND-X includes NAND PRO v2.0d and all the Windows drivers you need (both x86 and x64).

http://team-xecuter.com/nandpro_20d_drivers.rar

Then use this tutorial for Flashing Xell / Xbreboot

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55024

First of all IS YOUR XBOX EXPLOITABLE ? - http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53528

The NAND-X is very easy to install. There are two parts of NAND-X - First the NAND programmer connections and then the JTAG connections.

NAND INSTALL

The NAND connection can be done 3 ways.

QSB (Quick Solder Board) (Motherboard Headers: J2B1 and J1D2)

Pin Headers

Most motherboards have the pin header holes filled with solder. Simply use de-solder braid to clean them up :) (Click on the image for larger resolution)

Wires (Cut off the pin header block from the pin header cable)

JTAG INSTALL

There are 2 versions of JTAG install with the NAND-X. One for Xenon Motherboards and one for Non-Xenon Motherboards (falcon, Opus, Zephyr, Jasper)

There are also various Switch / Jumper settings. Some users get better boot performance / fix RROD's when using Resistor level 0 or 330. It's down to preference, however you should try 0 as default to start with. If after booting XELL and you get E79 then your install is bad OR your NAND image of Xell is bad (bad blocks etc)

Note: BAT41 Diodes are ALWAYS enabled.

Switch 0 = No Resistor
Switch 330/470 - Jumper 330 = Set Resistor level to 330
Switch 330/470 - Jumper 470 = Set Resistor level to 470
Switch OFF = Disable JTAG Completely

Xenon Install (Motherboard Headers: J2D2 and J1F1)

Non-Xenon Install (Motherboard Header: J2D2)

Red Wire: DB1F1

So many people complain that this point is hard. NO IT IS NOT IF YOU DO IT RIGHT! Cut the diode to size and sit it firmly in place between the cap and mosfet and make sure the wire sits nicely over DB1F1. Then use plenty of flux and then solder. It's very quick and simple. FYI The diodes is the long peice of wire that comes out of the shrink wrapped part of the red cable.

DB1F1 Soldering Tips:

1. Clean the point well

2. Apply flux to point

3. Apply a small amount of solder to the iron and then put it on the point

4. Flux the diode and tin it (apply a small amount of solder to the diode)

5. Now put the diode were you want it. You can hot glue it to the mosfet next to the point

6. Now take the diode and hold it in place then take the tip of your iron and head the diode it will transfer the heat to the board melting both the solder on the diode and the board together now remove iron and hold it for like 5 seconds so solder can cool and it will stay in place.

Yellow Wire: ROL (Ring Of Light front panel)

Simply tuck the cable under the panel so it holds in place - and cut the end of the cable to size then solder.

Close up shot of DB1F1. This is how it looks when you do it right. Use lots of flux and tuck the cable in nicely between the cap and the mosfet so you caneasily solder. See how clean it is ? (Click on the image for larger resolution)

And this is how you would fit the yellow cable behind the ROL panel when you fit the case back together. Again - see how nice and clean it is ? (Click on the image for larger resolution)

This is the Alternate Kit #5 that installs to the bottom of the mainboard. This is the most popular version for Non-Xenons

When using reading/writing the NAND ensure you have Xbox power cable plugged in but DO NOT power the Xbox on !

Naturally after install you leave everything in you don't remove them. We recommend you install the NAND-X part first - make sure you have a correct dump of the nand before you do ANY part of the JTAG install.

After following the Xell / Xbreboot tutorials - this is the bad boy you wanna see when getting your all important CPU key ;)

Added alt Switch points since a lot of people are requesting it

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: NAND-X Installation Diagrams

Thanks for the instructions. Haven't got my Nand-X yet...Don't know whats taking it so long to get here.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask & clear some things.

1. The NAND QSBs are needed to dump the firmware, while the JTAG portion is needed to write to the NAND. Right?

2a. From all I been reading, I need the JTAG part to be present connected in order to boot freeboot or XBR. Right ?

2b. If I need the JTAG part to be connected at all times, then how I am I gonna reassemble my jasper with the JTAG connection to ROL ?

3. If only the NAND part is needed in order to dump the NAND, why are there reading errors if the resistor setting on the JTAG part is not used in some motherboards ?

Reactions: bsmisl

By the way, since my questions are being answered :D (really very happy about it), I have one more.

What is the best way to know that my NAND dump/dumps are perfect, so that I don't have to look any further and continue forward without any fear ?

Last edited:

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002

dump 3 times run it through nand compare if you get 0 mismatches it's fine

Reactions: flealee

dump 3 times run it through nand compare if you get 0 mismatches it's fine
Plus, if I open this NAND dump in 360 Flash Dump Tool, it should show that it has "Bad kv", because the CPU is not entered. Right ?

Also, if the dump is fine, it should not show that it has any bad block in 360 Flash Dump Tool. Right ?

Great...Seems like reading and reading different forums about Jtagging has gotten me to understand how these things work...:D

Anyway, Thanks for your support....Really appreciate it.

Just waiting for the Nand-X to come in now...:cool:

Last edited:

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002

it pains me to see how complicated people make and install as simple as this

seriously if people can't handle simple install like this then they shouldn't be modding

tx has gone out of their way to make everything simple for the end user yet they still seem to screw it up in the worse ways

it pains me to see how complicated people make and install as simple as this

seriously if people can't handle simple install like this then they shouldn't be modding

tx has gone out of their way to make everything simple for the end user yet they still seem to screw it up in the worse ways
Yeah, maybe it does make you pain. But still, I think that people ask you silly questions not because they don't know what to do, but they ask them because nice people such as you are present there to answer them & they want to be more clear about these things because it gives them more confidence in what they are going to do.

Like me, for instance, have been asking all kinds of simple and silly questions because I knew that they would be answered, and believe me, my concept on these things is much much more better than before I came to this forum.

Also, not all people have such great and in-depth knowledge of these things like you, Xecuter or big_ted do.

Anyways, thanks for being nice and kind to everyone on these forums and helping them out. Really appreciate it.

As noob as this guy seems - you can't argue with his politeness :)
Thanks. Well...What can I say, I am new to this xbox modding and would like to learn all that I can about it. Other than that, I have been a part in cooking Symian and Windows Mobile ROMs and have taken part in rooting some Android phones and cracking the security of Symbian phones, so I am not a noob on that side atleast :p.

You can say, I am an Enthusiast, but it is difficult to learn by reading over random threads and posts etc.

You know, there is a lot of misinformation out there too. After every 5 minutes, I get stuck at some new conflicting points.

Anyways, Thanks for always helping me out, and answering my questions. But be prepared, because I have more questions coming for you :D

dec0y7

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2010
Sheffield uk

Ive been reading this forum for weeks now, and time after time people post problems that can all be answered just by reading the tuts but when told to go and read the said tuts they take offence to this, it nice to see a nice guy thats willing to read and learn, wish more people was like you

Ive been reading this forum for weeks now, and time after time people post problems that can all be answered just by reading the tuts but when told to go and read the said tuts they take offence to this, it nice to see a nice guy thats willing to read and learn, wish more people was like you
Thanks. You know, one should atleast try his best...:)

Last edited:

:C4BN52v

Noob Account
Jun 1, 2010

Question about "Non-Xenon Install (Motherboard Header: J2D2)"

If the JTAG parts should connected permanently, how do I have to connect the Yellow Wire to the Ring Of Light front panel?
Do I have to put the Yellow Wire through the whole of the chassis, where the Ring Of Light front panel is connected?

I'm not really sure, because the chassis are not shown at the installation diagrams.

Tomorrow ist the big day, hope someone can help me.
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=Ci4HO3kMAA&search=permanent&trestr=0x8004

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA

Question about "Non-Xenon Install (Motherboard Header: J2D2)"

If the JTAG parts should connected permanently, how do I have to connect the Yellow Wire to the Ring Of Light front panel?
Do I have to put the Yellow Wire through the whole of the chassis, where the Ring Of Light front panel is connected?

I'm not really sure, because the chassis are not shown at the installation diagrams.

Tomorrow ist the big day, hope someone can help me.
there are several ways - you'll see when you do it yourself - its simple :)

fico360

Noob Account
Jun 3, 2010

Hello

I have a question

Is ti possible to do JTAG with this kit on XBOX 360 falcow motherboard wit dashboard 2.0.9199

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com

Hello

I have a question

Is ti possible to do JTAG with this kit on XBOX 360 falcow motherboard wit dashboard 2.0.9199
Nope. That's a dashboard version which can't be exploited.

Ubergeek

Xecuter Groupie
Feb 24, 2003
California, USA
Reactions: texrob261

pitsunami

Noob Account
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe a stupid question but i have to ask...
i
After the whole instalation do i remove the nand pcbs and leave the jtags or do i leave all of the setup as it is?

thanks

Support Our Sponsors