NAND-X LED INSTALLATION TUTORIAL

This is a simple tutorial on how to install LED lights on your Team-Xecuter NAND-X product. Preordered NAND-X products were shipped with LED lights in place on the PCB’s underside. If you have ordered a NAND-X anytime after the initial preorders were closed (Q2 2010) then your NAND-X does not have stock LEDs in place. But you can add LEDs by fillowing this guide.​

DISASSEMBLY

Take the NAND-X apart. This is easy, as it only involves 4 small philips screws. A small jewelry screwdriver is ideal for removing these very small screws, located on the bottom (as seen below). After removed, take the clear plastic top off, and then remove the PCB from the green bottom housing. You should now have 3 parts as seen below.​

INSPECTION

Now that your NAND-X is in pieces, you can get a better look at the PCB and where you will need to install the LEDs. Below is the top of the PCB, and the bottom. I have already installed the components needed and they are shown mounted to the PCB here.

Notice the aread in the corners of each side of the PCB where I have already installed the components, it should look different than yours. The bottom of the PCB is labeled “LED#”, this is clearly where you mount the LEDs. The top of the PCB is labeled “R#” and this is where the resistors go. Because there are SMD pads it would be ideal to use SMD resistors for this situation, but I had none and used what I had which were 1/8 Watt 100 Ohm carbon film resistors (below), which work fine. Regardless, the resistor must be 100 Ohms to work.​

MOUNTING THE RESISTORS

We will start with mounting the resistors to the top of the board. There is no polarity for a resistor, so you can mount it without worrying about circuit flow. Fire up the soldering iron and let it heat up while you are preparing the rest of the materials. To prepare the resistor for mounting it the legs must be bent and clipped (using wire snips as seen below). Bend them in as shown above, and then clip them as shown below.​

Use a small amount of flux on the pads to ensure a clean mount, and get your soldering iron and put a dab of solder on the tip. Position the resistor on the PCB pads holding it with small needle nose pliers or tweezers. Ensure that the legs are the same distance apart as the pads. Once you have it in position, touch each pad with your iron and the solder should flow nicely onto the pad and up onto the resistor leg. Now you can resolder each leg individually. It should look something like the picture below. Repeat for the other 3 resistors.​

MOUNTING THE LEDS

Mounting the LEDs is going to be a bit different. This will involve knowing the polarity, or direction that the current will flow as an LED is a Light Emitting Diode (a diode allows current to flow only one direction). Below is a diagram that displays common SMD LED markings to help you determine the polarity of the LED, as well as the polarity on the PCB.​

The LEDs that I used in this application were 0805 SMD LEDs, and the color I used was green. You can also use 0603 SMD LEDs which are a bit smaller and actually fit the board just fine, 0805 SMD LEDs are a tad large but they fit just fine and I used them because I had no 0603 SMD LEDs in green. Below you can see the difference in the two sized of the SMD LEDs.​

To position the LED on the board you should use small tweezers for best results and ease of use. Place it on the pads and verify that the polarity is correct. Your soldering iron should still be on from mounting the resistors, so grab it and get a small dap of solder on the tip. Having the LED in position, touch one pad and it will flow onto the LED end. Once it is mounted, you can let go with the tweezers and indivdually solder the other side onto the board. When you are done it should look like the picture below. Repeat for the other 3 LEDs.​

Now you can reassemble the NAND-X and plug in the USB cable to your computer to test. It should look something like the picture below, congratulations on installing your own LEDs. At the end of this post you can find a PDF file with this tutorial in its entirety that you can download or print out.​

Last edited:

hopper47

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2005
Texas
hopefully rdubbs or someone that has done this can help me out on the resistors I got some 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistors layin around would that be good enough for this mod or is that to much watts as I see rdubbs used 1/8 watt?

Prone13

Apr 6, 2011
PA
Great idea. I'll be trying it this weekend as I already have the parts. Going with white though.

hopefully rdubbs or someone that has done this can help me out on the resistors I got some 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistors layin around would that be good enough for this mod or is that to much watts as I see rdubbs used 1/8 watt?
The wattage rating is just how much heat dissipation the resistor is capable of, obviously the larger = more. You are fine with 1/4 watt, if it fits the board inside the case fine. I have since updated my nand-x with SMD 100ohm resistors, winning.

DaRkO

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
lol I did this yesterday when I dissasembled my nand-x to put it into my project box, didn't know anyone else had done it :p

Support Our Sponsors