NANDwich Clarification

Gahndii

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Hello guys, just a quick question.

I plan on doing the NANDwich mod on my Zephyr RGH1.0 console.

The question is: I have a broken Trinity MB that I have been using for parts, can I use its NAND on my Zephyr? I believe they are both 16MB.

Before anyone says it, I plan on buying a Demon for my other console. I just feel like tinkering. This Zephyr will eventually get built into a arcade joystick I built but thats a story for another time :D:D

Thanks for reading!

L

LoneWolf913

Yes you can use the Trinity nand, as it's a small-block 16mb. However, if at all possible, I recommend erasing the nand before removing it from the Trinity board. I don't know if the board is too far gone to do that or not, but if you can erase it, do it. Will prevent a lot of headaches trying to read and write to the chip once it's installed in your Zephyr.

Gahndii

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Thanks for the quick reply, I can still read/write to the trinity so thanks for the heads up.:cool2:

What makes it hard to erase? Using the regular nand-X points (after it is installed) should allow me to r/w to either NAND depending on the position of the switch correct?

Last edited:

sarah1331

BANNED
Feb 22, 2012
I have never erased a NAND before removal and never had a problem. done many nandwitch's

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gahndii
L

LoneWolf913

Thanks for the quick reply, I can still read/write to the trinity so thanks for the heads up.:cool2:

What makes it hard to erase? Using the regular nand-X points (after it is installed) should allow me to r/w to either NAND depending on the position of the switch correct?
Correct, however in my experience leaving the donor console's SMC on the new nand can cause very..strange issues in a few cases. Just better safe than sorry.

I have never erased a NAND before removal and never had a problem. done many nandwitch's

Maybe I've just had bad luck then, but I remember moving a nand from a Falcon to a Xenon and the system refused to read/write the nand without shorting it out manually. Needless to say it didn't boot either but that's kinda expected. Ever since that I've always wiped whatever nand is being moved, just to make my life a bit easier.

sarah1331

BANNED
Feb 22, 2012
Yea don't get me wrong am not saying it carny happen just hasn't to me lol

Must be the only luck I have

sarah1331

BANNED
Feb 22, 2012
Yes pal I have a stack of chips here never had a prob but I suppose an erase first cannot hurt

Gahndii

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Awesome, well if all goes well I'll post a new thread in the case mods section after I finish building it into this arcade stick :)

Thanks again guys

J2G

VIP Member
May 13, 2010
90°N
www.esl-communications.com
So if worst came to worst, I could just short then NAND to re-enable r/w?

Like this thread says?
lol that's not as easy as you think buddy trust me it doesn't always work you can erase the nand with nand pro > nandpro usb: -e16 will erase the nand

Reactions: miragui

Gahndii

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
One last thing, buying a switch is no problem but I do have a 15A, 12v, heavy duty switch laying around. I don't mind not using this but it looks sooo BEEFY! I kind of like it haha!

This should be ok right?

theagent

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2011
Southern California
One last thing, buying a switch is no problem but I do have a 15A, 12v, heavy duty switch laying around. I don't mind not using this but it looks sooo BEEFY! I kind of like it haha!

This should be ok right?
I prefer the v0.5.1 Dual Nand mod... switch nands with the sync button. SMC resets, and it's a clean install. I also agree with erasing the nand before installing it. You may or may not have issues erasing/writing to the second nand initially... why deal with the potential headache?

miragui

Sep 25, 2011
Venezuela
I'm planning on doing a nandwich on my slim and I didn't know it was good to erase the nand first, so thank you guys for the info.