Nandwich-PIC 360 - Dual Nand Solution for Xbox 360

luniq

Noob Account
May 11, 2012
Hi,

Here is my latest project, Nandwich-PIC 360. It is a Dual Nand solution for Xbox 360. It incorporates a second Nand that stores RGH image and a PIC microcontroller to switch between Retail and RGH Nand among other things. Demonstration video below.
Nandwich-PIC 360.

You can find the source code and installation guide at my site.
luniqous.net.

If you have any question you can post it here or at my site.

Updates : Added no-cut method, this method does not involve cutting of trace, and added the second slim RF module in the diagram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smith166

XDK

VIP Member
Good DIY project I love seeing things like this come around the demon is just far easier and less hassle at this point :) now then if we only had a way to dual nand a 4g corona and keep it as a 4gb corona not convert it to 16mb..

Scrufdog

VIP Member
Jun 12, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Thats cool. I've always wanted to do a 'super-stack' nandwich with enough nands to be able to choose from each style dash in 360s history... Blades, NXE, Metro, etc....

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
This is cool, but i would rather have the demon, with its quick nand RW, and no trace cuts, it is by far the best option for dual nand, and can be installed with minimal soldering to motherboard if you use pin headers, and a 360-clip.(If you can get the 360-clip to stay in place, best bet get it in place, test connections and glue it to the board, so it doesnt come off.) even then the demon is a fairly easy install for a person who has a decent skill with a soldering iron.(Much harder to remove, I can install a demon in 20 minutes, but it will take me 3 hours to remove it with out screwing up the points.)

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
I like this, it sounds like a fun project and something i may try :)

luniq

Noob Account
May 11, 2012
Demon is far easier to install but if you are feeling a bit adventurous you can do Nandwich-PIC :wink:. If you are into programming or even starting to learn programming, PIC is a good place to start doing microcontroller programming. PIC is cheap, fun to work with and programming with it is easy. This is actually my first PIC project and am happy how it turns out. I have not even worked with a breadboard before I started doing this :tongue:
Thats cool. I've always wanted to do a 'super-stack' nandwich with enough nands to be able to choose from each style dash in 360s history... Blades, NXE, Metro, etc....
Will look into this, looks fun :D

mrdrifta

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2011
New Zealand
This is an excellent tutorial. Although many would rather a demon, this project caters for the individuals who would rather "get there hands dirty". With such a basic (and inexpensive) bill of materials, this is a very interesting project. I will definately be digging out my old PIC chips to install a few of these.

I have a ton of old cygnos v1 mod chips i never got around to using because they lacked SMC reset options so will now have a use for them.
Cheers

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
I think most of us here used the DemoN for dual-nand setups. I can tag a couple people who "might" have this? I really don't know.

@nofeloniesyet
@playingmax

Any chance you guys scooped this up before the website went offline 3 years ago? Chances are slim, but thought I'd try and help.

nofeloniesyet

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
I think most of us here used the DemoN for dual-nand setups. I can tag a couple people who "might" have this? I really don't know.

@nofeloniesyet
@playingmax

Any chance you guys scooped this up before the website went offline 3 years ago? Chances are slim, but thought I'd try and help.
i probably did,but recently deleted a tooooon of crap i thought id never have any use of anymore. i can check what i have on my mediafire acct but i think most of its related to xecuter stuff.

Reactions: Game_Over

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
I dont, but I do know what it did, so you could write your own with code with the info:

First you need to supply 3v3 voltage to the ce pin of the second chip, and a wire to gnd out ce on the stock nand. This will effectivly enable the second nand, and disable the stock. On the gnd wire, I would add a resistor, not sure the value, as I am not going to do the math on this. It needs to drop the voltage to the CE pin drastically, to disable the chip, but you dont want to hook a power rail to gnd, as that is a great way to burn mosfets. This will effectivly change the nands.

To switch back to stock nand, you would reverse this.

You also need to add a wire to gnd for smc_rst that is enabled for .5 seconds or so, to reset the smc that is run after every nand change.

and you need a button input wire, also connected to gnd, but if you are going to do it "right" there are some resistors that need to go on the button, and that will be connected to the pin on the chip and console gnd.

This is a fairly simplified idea of what the pic chip mod was. I dont have the code, but it should be easy to put together, and depending on the pic chip, you might even be able to add an LED to let you know what nand you are on. Also, when doing a mod like this, the squirt dual nand chip makes it much easier, as it is a nand on a board, with the pins broken out.

Also, a pro tip on a mod like this, since you dont know what is on the second chip, you will want to disconnect the smc_reset wire, plug in the console, with the stock nand selected by default in the code. wait like 3 seconds, hit the button, then flash a nand dump from the stock console, and see if it boots. Then hook up the smc_rst wire. if you dont do this, you wont be able to flash the second nand, as the smc doesnt know where to find the chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davisornaw

Support Our Sponsors