LITEON DG-16D4S - SLIM need advice on how to repair burnt solder trace

john_papa_john

Aug 8, 2012
boston
so i have a slim that had a broken drive gear so i replaced it but i didnt know how to solder well enough and burnt the traces on the wires about 6 months ago .i want to eventually glitch the slim but i figure if i cant solder the drive i cant solder nand x...etc...but i want to fix the drive before i get the jtag tools...so i had a few questions in the picture ive included you will see the burnt contacts and i tried to get what traces where left shine but i checked them with a multimeter and they all still connect so question 1.does it look like i need to add the (copper i think)trace?and question2.there are 6 contacts but only 5 wires it looks like there are 2 contacts under MGND i have to put the solder drop over both is this correct ?AND I DO NOT HAVE MY DRIVE KEY (will get the probe as soon as i get money)will extracting my drive key be still possible without those wires soldered.thank you for your time

john_papa_john

Aug 8, 2012
boston
the whole point for this is to increase my soldering skills ive let this drive sit while i practice soldering i just completely removed and fixed all wires for a wii drive plus many random pcb's. i am fully confident in my soldering abilities i just need to know what to do.i have a multimeter and check every trace.

john_papa_john

Aug 8, 2012
boston
If there was enough trace was there but by the way you answered i guess its obvious to you.i didnt mean to sound noobish I was just asking before I do it

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com

john_papa_john

Aug 8, 2012
boston
no disrespect but i kno how to google which in my first postt i said i found 6 traces that you can see. that seemed kind of odd when google showed 5.look at the picture there are 6 points. 1 with a bit of solder and 5 exposed..................I think i can figure it out from here

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
so i have a slim that had a broken drive gear so i replaced it but i didnt know how to solder well enough and burnt the traces on the wires about 6 months ago .i want to eventually glitch the slim but i figure if i cant solder the drive i cant solder nand x...etc...but i want to fix the drive before i get the jtag tools...so i had a few questions in the picture ive included you will see the burnt contacts and i tried to get what traces where left shine but i checked them with a multimeter and they all still connect so question 1.does it look like i need to add the (copper i think)trace?and question2.there are 6 contacts but only 5 wires it looks like there are 2 contacts under MGND i have to put the solder drop over both is this correct ?AND I DO NOT HAVE MY DRIVE KEY (will get the probe as soon as i get money)will extracting my drive key be still possible without those wires soldered.thank you for your time
OMG did a blind man try soldering these?