SAMSUNG MS28 Need help now, disk drive won't power on!

rhcprawsome

Jan 6, 2013
Okay, so I am pretty new to the whole flashing Xbox stuff, and am currently stuck. I have flashed my Samsung MS28 drive but it didn't load anything. I tried to make it read burned and regular games on my Xbox and every time I click on "play game" the screen blacks out then takes me to the dashboard. So, I erased the flash and tried it again. The same problem consisted. Now I am trying to reset it (If you even can). Only problem is that Jungleflasher doesn't detect the drive and the drive won't even turn on at all. I am using an X360 USB Pro v2 and bought an external molex power supply. Like I said the drive was powered on just fine, but now all the sudden it doesn't seem to be powered at all. I made sure all the connections were good and have tried countless times to make it get powered again. Please help me for I have invested too much time and money on this to give up. :(

Pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/kBDiR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YJ24K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e0V9q.png
http://i.imgur.com/iRd5Y.jpg

rhcprawsome

Jan 6, 2013
Did the console originally have a Samsung drive in it?
No it didn't, I bought this drive online (apparently easier than the Lite-on drive it came with) and it was also refurbished(not sure if that's bad for flashing). I am researching some stuff and apparently my DVD key is what is all messed up and need to get my stock DVD key. I read that I need to use a hex editor and find it through there? I am currently stuck on finding my DVD key. If you can help me in any way I would really appreciate it! Thanks. :D

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
I suggest you purchase a Lite-On DG-16D2S drive and pay somebody to flash it with the correct key for you.

It's not difficult and instructions on how to do it are readily available right here on the forum.

rhcprawsome

Jan 6, 2013
I suggest you purchase a Lite-On DG-16D2S drive and pay somebody to flash it with the correct key for you.

It's not difficult and instructions on how to do it are readily available right here on the forum.
I already own that drive from the Xbox and I want to know if I or someone can help me fix this? As I have stated in the first post that I have invested quite a lot of money into this and don't really want to waste any more money. Do you know if I can do anything about the missing key? I really want to get this over with soon.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
What is wrong with the original drive?

If JungleFlasher is able to successfully inquire on the correct port and identify it, you can use a Probe 3 and PhatKey to obtain the drive key.

Last edited:

rhcprawsome

Jan 6, 2013
What is wrong with the original drive?

If JungleFlasher is able to successfully inquire on the correct port and identify it, you can use a Probe 3 to obtain the drive key.
Nothing is wrong with it but I don't want to buy a probe 3 and wait for shipping and whatnot. Just wondering if I can somehow get a Samsung MS28 key for my drive?

frayed

DINDU NUFFIN
VIP Member
Dec 22, 2010
A galaxy far far away....
Nothing is wrong with it but I don't want to buy a probe 3 and wait for shipping and whatnot. Just wondering if I can somehow get a Samsung MS28 key for my drive?
lol? you didnt wanna purchase a probe v3 to extract your key and decided to use a samsung instead? without the key from your lite-on you are sh*t out of luck

i suggest you take a nap and then do some reading to comprehend how "this stuff works"

rhcprawsome

Jan 6, 2013
Build a PMT (Pogo Mo Thoin).
Okay, I just tested my Samsung drive on my Xbox and it won't even open the tray. What is wrong with it?

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

lol? you didnt wanna purchase a probe v3 to extract your key and decided to use a samsung instead? without the key from your lite-on you are sh*t out of luck

i suggest you take a nap and then do some reading to comprehend how "this stuff works"
Okay, so let's say I do buy a probe for my lite-on and I get the key. What do I do from there? Is it any easier?

frayed

DINDU NUFFIN
VIP Member
Dec 22, 2010
A galaxy far far away....
Okay, so let's say I do buy a probe for my lite-on and I get the key. What do I do from there? Is it any easier?
xbox dvd drives are paired to the console by a key, the key on the drive must be the key assigned to the console, the drives are not hot swappable like a computer dvd rom drive.

without the dvd key any drive you put in there will not work, you will get play DVD error. as for your samsung drive, pitch that piece of sh*t in the trash, order a probe v3 or make a PMT and in the mean time read the jungleflasher manual 5 or 6 times (its in the doc folder located in the jungleflasher folder)

btw if you live in MA your welcome to stop by and i will help you out

Last edited:

rhcprawsome

Jan 6, 2013
xbox dvd drives are paired to the console by a key, the key on the drive must be the key assigned to the console, the drives are not hot swappable like a computer dvd rom drive.

without the dvd key any drive you put in there will not work, you will get play DVD error. as for your samsung drive, pitch that piece of sh*t in the trash, order a probe v3 or make a PMT and in the mean time read the jungleflasher manual 5 or 6 times (its in the doc folder located in the jungleflasher folder)

btw if you live in MA your welcome to stop by and i will help you out
Alright thanks! I guess I will have to order that, and yeah I am just learning so much about computer repairs at the moment so I thought it would be like a computer's DVD drive. Also I live in CA :p I guess I'll start cracking on that manual.