ANSWERED Need to replace a wire in my RJTAG. I have these 2, which one do you suggest using?

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Hi guys, so I've got my RJTAG working, but when I installed it, I made the blue CPU_RST wire too short, so the RJTAG chip isn't able to sit on my DVD drive correctly. I want to replace this short CPU_RST wire with a wire of appropriate length, so my RJTAG chip can sit properly, and I can close up the case as soon as I know it's good to go.

My question is, which of these pictured wires should I use?

The blue wire on the left is pictured so you can get a frame of reference, that is the original blue wire that came in the RJTAG kit, but I only have about an inch of it.

The yellow wire is 30awg, which is about the same gauge as the wire included with the RJTAG kit, but it has less insulation, and I'm worried about interference because of this once I get it onto the motherboard.

The red wire is thicker, and is made up of multi strands, as you can see, it has more insulation than the yellow wire. Is this wire too thick to use in relation to the wire provided? Can a wire be too thick for use in this sort of project? Also, I am concerned with the ease of soldering a thicker wire.

Let me know which of these wires you guys would use if you were in my position.

Also, I want to note, I am using the C7R112 CPU_RST point, if this helps in deciding which thickness of wire will be easier/better to use.

I appreciate the help, thank you

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Are you serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
just splice in the inch of the wire that you cut off. on mine i cut the wire kinda short, and could only get the chip on dvd without carefully routing it around/threw the dvd wires. so try reposistioning the wire first

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Is this a completely stupid question? I was under the impression the specifics of this wire was important in achieving good boot times/stability/reliability. That's why I didn't just splice in another piece.

Is that not the case and I'm just over thinking it?

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Need to replace a wire in my RJTAG. I have these 2, which one do you suggest ...

Is this a completely stupid question? I was under the impression the specifics of this wire was important in achieving good boot times/stability/reliability. That's why I didn't just splice in another piece.

Is that not the case and I'm just over thinking it?
You're overthinking it. Just try it and see what works best.

I will say however, err on the small side first. You don't want some big ass wire yanking on a solder pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jdoe91011

jdoe91011

VIP Member
Nov 18, 2013
Re: Need to replace a wire in my RJTAG. I have these 2, which one do you suggest ...

Thank you