Newbie guide for X2.6 and Xbox 1.6/1.6b

Fazered

May 10, 2004
Well I have installed a few X2.3 pro's but I wasn't prepared for how much more difficult it would be with a Xecuter 2.6 and v1.6 xbox. Only because I didn't know what I was doing, not because it is that difficult. Here are the things I learnt (from searching and reading, not asking what has already been asked a thousand times!)

Some of these things have been resolved now and are more obvious but I'll keep them in.

• The X2.6 installs in the same way as the X3.
  • The v1.6 Xbox needs to the have the LPC rebuilt. It is supplied free of charge with all X2.6 and X3 mods. Install Tutorial: http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7768
  • Check if you have a v1.6b (Requires FlashBIOS v3.03)
  • Install using these instructions http://www.team-xecuter.com/x3/tutorials/x3pin16.htm
  • Turn your Xbox on and check you have a blue screen with "FlashBIOS" at the top (It may be v2.60, v3.0.0, v3.01 or v3.03). If you have then your mod is working. If the power lights on your Xbox Flash Red and Green you have a 'FRAG'. Re-Check your install.
  • If you don't (you get a black screen, Green/Orange Flashing led and no video and no sound then you are booting an incompatible FlashBIOS version - you need to switch to a working one (v3.01 works on v1.0 - v1.6 / v3.03 works on v1.6b - both are flashed to each bank on the X2.6 from December onwards).
  • Download X2 Bios Manager v2.3 from http://www.modchipstore.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=37&nav=0,1,5http://www.team-xecuter.com/index.php?name=Downloads
  • Download Evox M8plus 1.6 (Evox M8+ 1.6) from Xbins ftp. Note it's in the Multi-version folder. If you have no clue about the Xbins ftp - read this article - dont ask for bios's here http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php
  • Create a 1mb bios using the Evox M8+ using X2 Bios Manager v2.3 using a similar method to described in http://www.team-xecuter.com/flashbios/
  • Load Evox M8+ to all 4 banks of X2 BM
  • Save the file as 'BIOS.BIN'
  • Check the file is 1bm in size
  • or an alternative for creating the 1mb bios.....
  • Extract the Evox M8+ bios into a new folder called 'Bios' on your PC in the root of your C: drive
  • Go to Start, Run and type in command and press enter on your PC
  • Type "cd c:\bios\"
  • Type copy /b M8plus.bin + M8plus.bin + M8plus.bin + M8plus.bin
  • (check you file names are the same as I have, if not change the command to suit your file names)
  • Check the file is 1bm in size
  • Burn to a CD using the same settings as described in http://www.team-xecuter.com/flashbios/
  • Turn xbox off and use the X2.6 switch to bank 1.
  • Screen should go to start up sequence and have the Evox logo in the top left hand corner and you are up and running. You should be able to play copied xbox games now but you will want to go and install a dashboard like EvolutionX, Avalaunch or UnleashX.
Whoah that was just going to be a few tips but it turn into a bloody novel! Don't blame me if this totally fecks your Xbox. It's just what I did and I haven't got time to check what I have written as it friday night and I am going home! Please feel free to comment and what I have written

Edited & Updated By Xecuter

ironopolis

Noob Account
Jan 18, 2004
Thanks m8,
just about to start with a v2.6 chip and it was good to read that i hadn't missed anything out in the preperation. Not looking forward to the LPC rebuild, although i do have a rebuild kit type thingy.
Cheers.
ironopolis

Fazered

May 10, 2004
I added instructions for using X2 Bios Manager v2.3 to create a Evox M8+ 1Mb bios.

mattacchione

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2004
canada
:? .... k i have used about 6 CD-R on this now. i have followed all the steps about 10 times everythin runs good, i start my xbox click on unlock HDD and then click on bios by disc, then it says 'please insert d**k - flashin mode'. when i insert the disc that has the dummy and bios file all it does is waits about 10sec and ejects again....

any hints?

thanks..

bonevichio

Noob Account
Sep 13, 2004
USA
Try different media if CD-R is not working. Try DVD-R or DVD+R or RW and should read just fine.

Fazered

May 10, 2004
If you don't have a DVD burner than use a CD-RW. Be sure to burn it nice and slowly, I use 4x.

mattacchione

Noob Account
Dec 1, 2004
canada
HI, the cd-rw worked perfect now for the second bank. when can i download 'Evox M8+'
thanks again :D

Fazered

May 10, 2004
Good news! I updated the guide with a little bit of help to find the bios the other day.

RodStorm

Noob Account
Dec 3, 2004
Scotland
hey guys. just wondering if any of u could help. I flashed M8 bios and everything was going well until i realised that my hdd wasant locked and configmagic wont work on V 1.6 xboxes. Is there anyway i can lock the hdd now, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
RodStorm said:
hey guys. just wondering if any of u could help. I flashed M8 bios and everything was going well until i realised that my hdd wasant locked and configmagic wont work on V 1.6 xboxes. Is there anyway i can lock the hdd now, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
you can do it with FlashBIOS

I think Yosh released a new version of config magic too - that supported v1.6

FoxRacR17

Dec 22, 2003
Cali
I dont understand why you have to put the flashbios in banks 1&2 and M8 1.6 bios in banks 3+4. Could someone explain why? Why cant i just us the x2 bios manager and put the M8 bios in all 4 banks.

tgamer

Noob Account
May 27, 2003
ok this also took me 4 cd-rs and a dvd-rw to get this to work. i burned multiple copies of the bios and always got stuck on the Insert CD screen, where the cd spun then ejected. I was getting ready to just remove the chip untill i made one last attempt and used a RITEK 4x dvd-r and viola! it worked perfect! so guys dont give up hope - just use a good media!!

Fazered

May 10, 2004
FoxRacR17 said:
I dont understand why you have to put the flashbios in banks 1&2 and M8 1.6 bios in banks 3+4. Could someone explain why? Why cant i just us the x2 bios manager and put the M8 bios in all 4 banks.
The Evox Bios only works from the second bank (don't ask me why, it just doesn't)

The reason you put Flashbios in the first bank is so you have something to reflash with if the Bios doesn't work for some reason. You really don't want to have a chip flashed with a bios that doesn't leaving you no way of reflashing without using a programmer.

If you want to take the risk and do it without be my guest but I don't suggest you do.

JohnnyB24

Noob Account
Dec 11, 2004
Canada
OK...let's say I screwed up flashing the first time with bank 1 and now when I boot with switch over to bank 1..XBOX flashes green and red (frags)...

When switching over to bank 2...Cromwell shows up and I try to flash (using techniques discussed on the page: http://www.teamxecuter.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25629
but I receive the error "unkown flash! halting"

Now, I am using the 2.6lite and an XBOX v1.6.
I installed the M8+16 bios using flashbios v301.

flashbios 301 is in banks 1 and 2
M8+16 bios is in bank 3 and 4

Before jumping to conlusions... I used x2 bios manager v2.3 to create bios file as well as used EVTool to create the 512k M8+16 file.

I hope I haven't left anything out ... but if anyone knows the answer to my problem, please inform me. Thanks

tommytom2k2

Noob Account
Feb 3, 2004
thanx for your guide.

it really helped but i was doing this on a 2.3b mod-chip.

it appears that it isnt compatible at all.

i rechecked everything several times over and could find no other result.

i assume that is why they came out with the 2.6.

stupid 1.6 xboxs....

Hawk88

Dec 6, 2004
Central Florida
but I receive the error "unkown flash! halting"
I know this may seem stupid, but make sure that your flash protection is off. I have done this and just overlooked it and after a while of trying several things, I noticed my stupid mistake. Otherwise try flashing them in the opposite banks and see if you have a bad bank.

michael816

VIP Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ya on both the internal and external switches

I know the pic is too big :wink:

fixitman

Aug 13, 2004
USA
um... this is a topic about the X2.6

That pic is kinda useless here lol