No DVD Drive Flag = Ban?

djnixtre

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Canada
Hey guys,

Been doing plenty of searching and I've seen a lot of speculation about what happens when you use the xbox to power it's drive while flashing. Obviously the issue here is you are turning on your xbox with the drive's SATA cable disconnected from it's motherboard. There doesn't seem to be any disagreement about flagging - sounds like this 100% will put a flag of some sort on your box. Where I haven't found a defined/confirmed answer is - does this particular flag actually get you banned? I've heard a lot of "maybe" and "probably" answers, but nothing that says "this will result in a ban" with any sort of evidence or actual occurance to reference. The confusion piles on with recommendations everywhere to "just use the xbox to power the drive"...
I know part of this may be that: "yes, causes flag, no bans yet, but definitely the potential for this flag to cause a ban in the future exists."
Can anyone help clarify how this actually works? I have my slim in bits right now, have NOT powered on with drive or anything else disconnected yet, but I'd really like to be prepared for the 0225 firmware when it is released.
I am planning on picking up 2 SATA cables today that basically connect to one another so I can run the drive's SATA outside of the xbox so I can disconnect the drive from the motherboard and reconnect it to my PC without re-opening the xbox (and get it closed back up already and get back to playing originals in the mean time). Obviously this means the drive will be powered by the xbox when I finally go to flash it if I proceed this way - hence my overall question here. This would be pointless if it will cause an actual ban flag. (PS: For the record, I would also be installing a ground wire to the box's frame and running it outside as well to be grounded to the PC's case when flashing... please comment on any ideas as to whether or not this is a "right" way to do it - I think it's pretty solid, no?).
*Note: I know I can correct a flag using NAND X, but if I'm going have to buy a piece of hardware, it might as well be a CK3 or X360USB PRO and avoid the flag all together (I also know this is like asking a Dairy Farmer if milk is good for you... Hard to get certain answers on some of these topics from the best people to ask because there is a lot of conflict of interest around - hardware sales, flashing services, etc.)...<- No offense intented, I know there's plenty of honest people fully willing to help, it's just that a lot of answers are "just buy this...". I'm trying to find out exactly what is possible with NO additional hardware - regardless of it being "the hard way" or not with the intention of making simple defined facts available as general knowledge to help everyone.

Thanks in advance!:cool:

Last edited:

bongtoker

Dec 19, 2010
Like you said, the flag is there, it's just a question of whether MS will ever use it. Lots of people say no since banning will probably include a lot of people who "self-serviced" for a dead drive or rrod and MS doesn't usually doesn't ban unless they are reasonably sure the box is modded.

Others say MS will do whatever it takes to (try to) stop modding, and sacrificing a few thousand customers isn't a big deal to them. Especially if those customers didn't pay the $140 for MS repairs.

No one can tell you if it's worth the risk. You have to decide if you think MS will let it go so they don't lose game buyers, or tell the self-repair people they should have paid MS to fix their systems and they deserve a ban

Last edited:

Flashy

VIP Member
Jan 9, 2011
Mostly at home
Classic guess-thread.
But as external power (CK3 Lite/Pro/etc.) as well as professional flashing is widely available, I don't think MS will use that flag for a ban wave. The collateral damage would be too severe.

And there are enough people who fail to create stealthed backups of their games and end up flagged. MS should be satisfied banning those.

But as I said: It's just a guess.

djnixtre

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Canada
Like you said, the flag is there...
Alright - that's the kind of information I'm looking for! Basically you are saying, "it doesn't get you banned" with the necessary disclaimer: "YET".

That's great. I'm sure if they wanted to, MS could ban you for sitting on the can the wrong way, but that's the real question of - "do they do it right now, and if not, what are the odds that they will in the future?". I'm really just trying to confirm that: YES it does cause a flag, and NO it does NOT cause a ban. The future always up for debate - anything could eventually get you banned. Theoretically a new system update could be set to detect LT+ and ban (through a new method), etc. I think the odds are a LOT higher of that actually happening than them deciding to START banning consoles because of "No DVD SATA" flags. Inherent issue there - WAY to many legit customers could possibly eventually have this flag. They would effectively be crippling good customers that have been forced to perform a repair as economically as possible because of MS's faulty hardware - not exactly a great PR move...:D

Last edited:

djnixtre

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Canada
Classic guess-thread.
That's what I don't understand - why is it a guess? Either it DOES cause a ban or it DOESN'T. If MS doesn't already ban for this, there are just too many reasons for them to NEVER start banning for this. The idea would be this to evolve into a "Classic FACT thread".;)

Last edited:

Flashy

VIP Member
Jan 9, 2011
Mostly at home
Ok, it's a fact, that a flag is set.
AFAIK, it's also a fact, that the flag wasn't used for a ban wave, yet.

But nobody can tell you if they won't use it on a ban wave in the future.

BGAMods

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2010
UK
bgamods.co.uk
and how would anybody know the exact reason they got banned. its not like m$ say ok weve banned you for powering the 360 without a drive. what they tell you im pretty sure is that its for breach of the service agreement or some crap along them lines so theres no definitive reason as to the ban.

Flashy

VIP Member
Jan 9, 2011
Mostly at home
Good point, flashing360. I jumped to a conclusion there.
I know alot of people with the flag who haven't been banned for years. On the other hand, they haven't been banned for using copied discs either, so it doesn't really prove anything.
Though it might indicate that MS didn't use the flag for a wave yet, if they made no mistakes other than using their xbox to power the drive while flashing the firmware.

So I correct my post from above:

It's a fact that it gets flagged.
Everything else is basically unknown.

djnixtre

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Canada
Okay, well, since there are apparently many people that must have this flag and have not been banned yet after years, it has to be fairly safe. It's all a little bit risky that way, but I'm just trying to determine if it's as safe as anything else that people do (As in you don't: do it, then get banned immediately when you try to log in; and in fact you do: do it, then continue to successfully use XBL for long periods of time, never reporting that you must have got banned eventually because of it).
There must be people that swear by their back-ups, have flashed to LT+ and taken a "No DVD Drive" flag, and can report that they are having no trouble with XBL (or contrary). That's all we have to really judge the "safety" of any mod result, no?

bongtoker

Dec 19, 2010
I think it would help if you stop thinking of MS as a respectable company. They aren't.

And with LT and LT+ looking like they are doing their job, it's entirely possible that MS could get mad and say "screw collateral damage, we're going to get the modders" and start banning for anything and everything. Personally, I avoid all known flags, but if I had to choose between that and losing a customer, I would definitely use my own system to power it. A little too risky to do with one that isn't mine, though.

Last edited: