No more SX Installer update?

XNeoeg

Noob Account
Mar 18, 2019
Argentina
Is SX Installer dead? I see new Tinfoil (1.56 with new cool things)... But SX Install remaing old.

Pd. Sorry my english

SephiroT

Nov 20, 2018
Poland
Due to lack of updates and issues with network installations I have switched to Tinfoil :(
I hoped both applications will be updated simultaneously but they went 2 different ways apparently.

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
Apparently so, even the main concern as the OS itself takes a long time behind others to be updated when needed most.
I even have a major bug where launching the app while USB connected crashes it and I have to quit with the home button.
Since it's not reliable, I have both CFWs on one Switch and only Atmosphere on the other. Clearly, SX OS isn't reliable enough to be had solely on a Switch.
I feel sorry for what I have paid for SX OS, good for the people enjoying it.

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
I get the frustration of the apps not being update often. But what issues are you all having exactly to warrant an update? Updates are either for fixes, security, or features. Just wanting the app to be updated means nothing if there is nothing to update in the code.

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
I get the frustration of the apps not being update often. But what issues are you all having exactly to warrant an update? Updates are either for fixes, security, or features. Just wanting the app to be updated means nothing if there is nothing to update in the code.
I just mentioned my issue, isn't deserving enough to have the app literally crash every single time it's connected to USB while SX Server is running? Basically, SX Server's USB installation functionality isn't working as a result.
If that's not a good reason for an update, I don't know what is.

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
I get where you are coming from. But you have to understand why I was asking for clarification. This topic is about “no more sx Installer updates?” And you clearly just stated multiple times how SX Server USB functionality is not working. Maybe the issues is with SX Server and not with SX Installer.

I’m sorry, I don’t use SX Server. But I’m just trying to understand what’s going on so that either I or someone else here can help you resolve your issue or pass on the issue to a mod or dev.

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
I'd be more than happy to clarify as much as you want if there's any hope of solving a problem.

To simplify it, SX Installer crashes but SX Server doesn't, so the guy in fault is probably the installer. I don't know how much of a chance it can be the other way around, but it's slim at best.

Worth noting: My OFW is 8.0.1. Updates can cause crashes, but since downgrading isn't a viable option, upgrading the apps in fault would be the rational one.

I don't know if you have a participation in developing the app, but thanks for your concern anyway. We need more people who think instead of ignoring.

tokyo

The Panda
VIP Member
Sep 9, 2018
Bamboo Forest
Reactions: Barry

SephiroT

Nov 20, 2018
Poland
@Barry for the time being try NUT (SX Server) and TinFoil (SX Installer).
They are up to date and USB is working fine.
I'm big TX fan and I stood for SX Installer and SX server but if something doesn't work for me I am looking fr alternative and since I swapped to NUT + Tinfoil, SX OS is 100% reliable for me. No need for Atmo.

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
@Barry for the time being try NUT (SX Server) and TinFoil (SX Installer).
They are up to date and USB is working fine.
I'm big TX fan and I stood for SX Installer and SX server but if something doesn't work for me I am looking fr alternative and since I swapped to NUT + Tinfoil, SX OS is 100% reliable for me. No need for Atmo.
I'm almost doing this by using Tinfoil and NS-USBLoader, which is much simpler than SX Server. If NS-USBLoader works with SX Installer that would be great.

However, the main issue here is SX Installer. After checking, it crashes just by launching it with the USB connected, and it freezes if connected later after launch. Of course, I have an alternative, I'm not sitting around waiting forever for a solution, but I believe that the team behind it should fix these issues especially that it's a part of an OS that is paid for.

SephiroT

Nov 20, 2018
Poland
@Barry SX Installer is outdated re-skinned Tinfoil. Try with Tinfoil v1.57

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
@Barry SX Installer is outdated re-skinned Tinfoil. Try with Tinfoil v1.57
I think the active development of Tinfoil has moved to Goldleaf. That said, I have the latest of both and I use both.

I can do whatever I wanted to do with SX Installer with these alternatives, but that's not the subject of the discussion in this post. It's just trying to push the paid SX Installer to at least catch up with them. Asking SX OS's users to use alternatives is NOT a solution, they need to fix it if they still care.

In my case, I'm done with OS SX, instead of having it and borrow alternatives from elsewhere, I just went with the clean solution of Atmosphere. SX 3 unique pros (so far: XCI, USB, EmuNAND) are not worth all this frustration and slow updates. Pity for what I have paid, and good for them they could have that.

Hackerjac

The Minifigure
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Jun 2, 2010
Denmark
I think the active development of Tinfoil has moved to Goldleaf. That said, I have the latest of both and I use both.

I can do whatever I wanted to do with SX Installer with these alternatives, but that's not the subject of the discussion in this post. It's just trying to push the paid SX Installer to at least catch up with them. Asking SX OS's users to use alternatives is NOT a solution, they need to fix it if they still care.

In my case, I'm done with OS SX, instead of having it and borrow alternatives from elsewhere, I just went with the clean solution of Atmosphere. SX 3 unique pros (so far: XCI, USB, EmuNAND) are not worth all this frustration and slow updates. Pity for what I have paid, and good for them they could have that.
Since when has SX Installer become a paid software ?

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
Since when has SX Installer become a paid software ?
It's an essential part of a paid software, which is SX OS.
Calculator and Paint are free, but they are parts of the paid Windows, thus Microsoft is supporting them.

SephiroT

Nov 20, 2018
Poland
@Barry you are wrong.
@vertigo is updating Tinfoil - tinfoil.io and latest update was even today.
SX installer has more features thy were abandoned with current tinfoil so are different ways both apps are heading.
There are technical and political reasons those applications are split so much.
Anyways, no one is forcing anybody to use one and particular solution.
For me, SX Installer failed big time but SX OS + Tinfoil + NUT or GDrive (or both combined) give me exactly what I need and want to use. :)
...but I still do not understand why you are pushing on SX Installer and SX Server so hard.
They are branches/clones of free, up to date and supported solutions.
...so if something looks the same, works the same (with fixed bugs and new features) so why don't use it?
Also comparing notepad and claculator and SX SO to Windows system is totally wrong.
They are integral part of Windows OS. SX OS doesn't have SX Installer pre-built. It''s optional software.

Reactions: Hackerjac

Barry

Noob Account
Apr 27, 2019
USA
@Barry you are wrong.
@vertigo is updating Tinfoil - tinfoil.io and latest update was even today.
SX installer has more features thy were abandoned with current tinfoil so are different ways both apps are heading.
There are technical and political reasons those applications are split so much.
Anyways, no one is forcing anybody to use one and particular solution.
For me, SX Installer failed big time but SX OS + Tinfoil + NUT or GDrive (or both combined) give me exactly what I need and want to use. :)
Just noticed that despite them mentioning the Goldleaf's note of the GitHub's page.
Point of all this is, if you have a software that you want to use and improve then you provide feedback, so everyone needs to stop providing alternatives because that's not the goal unless someone asks for them to not be laid behind.
I don't need to hear about alternatives, I already have them, so thanks in advance but that's not what I need and don't suggest any more alternatives in this post because it's not the subject.

This is feedback for SX Installer because I want it to be better. Best practice to be done here is to work on finding a fix or pass the word to the developers, as simple as that.

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
I don't use SX Server personally. I set it up to write that quick guide. I just setup a nut sever on my nas, which is more or less the same without the gui. I do not experience any crashed running it this way though. Try using nut instead of sx server and see if it still crashes. That's all I can recommend since I use it without issues.

For what it's worth, when I wrote the guide for SX Server I did not have any issues either.

To clarify goldleaf is made by a different dev than tinfoil/sx installer.

SephiroT

Nov 20, 2018
Poland
@imprezgc8 SX Installer is older version of NUT. There is even squirrel ASCII art left by Blawar.
This GUI is itegral part of NUT server - by default at Windows and it can be obtained also on Linux if you run server.py on desktop session instead of nut.py in shell.
Recently I have pointed out inability to manually rescan your games.
Now if you add API call to the end of your web UI (/api/scan) you get your library rescanned without restarting NUT. :)
...just wait for the browser to finish loading page. It takes 3 minutes on my Rock64 headless single board PC.

imprezgc8

Bannnnnn-Kai!
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Thanks. Didn't know about the rescan. I should have clarified. If you run just nut you can use the web gui, but by default it does not have an "application" gui per say like SX Server does.

SephiroT

Nov 20, 2018
Poland
You are wrong. Windows pre-compiled "release" version does as well as Linux server.py :)
Check for yourself:
https://github.com/blawar/nut

NUT Server Install for Tinfoil
Run server.py or Windows users can use the precompiled nut.exe in the release section.
After you run the server, ensure NSP's are visible in the list. If they are not, change the path and click the "scan" button.
Start Tinfoil, then go to locations, then select "Add New" location. Enter the ip, port, username, and password that is displayed in the nut server application, then press save.
All of the NSP's listed in nut server should now be available to install in Tinfoil.
Server GUI
If you wish to run the server GUI, you must first download the images from nintendo. You may do so with this command: nut.py -s --scrape
This will take some time. When it is complete, you can start the web server with: server.py
Then point your web browser to localhost:9000