COOLRUNNER No power after CoolRunner on Corona V3 - Ideas?!

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
Aloha!

I (with the help of a friend) recently put a CoolRunner Rev C on a Corona V3 board. We had a clean NAND dump. Programmed the CoolRunner but now all we're getting is the red light on the CR but nothing else. Here's a little more detail:

What we're using:
QSB_CR_UPDATE
CoolRunner Rev C
CPU_RST Cleaner - is that what it's called?
Corona Post-Out fix V2

SOLDER POINTS:
I'm confident the QSB...UPDATE is where it should be.
The RST cable is going underneath to the FT3T10 after it had come off at CR511 - We're also using the smaller blue wire as opposed to the double shielded white cable.

BRIDGED RESISTORS:
R2C7 and R2C6 according to one of the tutorials.
We also tried a bridge at R2C4 because it was on a tutorial (http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96752) But then realized it said only if we wish to use RATER, so we removed it.

We looked through the threads and I found one that was similar but it didn't have a concrete or apparent solution, it was something to do with the STBY_CLK. I'm confused. It's disheartening when you do work and it doesn't boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mahalo!
Here's some pics:

IMG_2792.JPGIMG_2793.JPGIMG_2795.JPGIMG_2796.JPGIMG_2797.JPGIMG_2798.JPGIMG_2799.JPG

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Did you try any dip combinations with the cpu_rst cleaner? You must have at least one switched.

You don't have a stdy_clk with a corona, hence the reason for the corona upgrade qsb.

Also, did you create and write the ecc?
Sent from my iPhone using

Your resistor bridges look awfully close to each other, can you post a better pic?

Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: kingfresh

chase

VIP Member
Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
how many nand dumps did u have exactly?

based on your original.post, you had one dump? if so, that is not enough as you dont know if its any good

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
Thanks for the replies thus far.

@BrockThunderjam - I had not tried. Will not setting at least one DIP keep it from booting? I will try that and report.
@chase - I'm sorry, we did a bunch of dumps.
@Game_Over - below is taken from the log.

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files
RGH2 Selected
Glitch2M Selected
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
Corona
Nand Initialization Finished
Comparing...
Nands are the same
Checking Console..
Version: 03
Flash Config: 0x00043000
Corona
CB Version: 13181
Corona
Glitch2M Selected

Reading Nand to C:\Users\kingfresh\Desktop\J-
Runner.orig\output\nanddump2.bin
Reading Nand
Done!
in 2:04 min:sec

Comparing...
Nands are the same
Corona
Comparing...
Nands are the same
Programming Coolrunner
C:\Users\kingfresh\Desktop\J-Runner\common\xsvf\TX_RGH2_C.xsvf
Flashing C:\Users\kingfresh\Desktop\J-Runner\common\xsvf\TX_RGH2_C.xsvf to CoolRunner
Input Filesize: 593E
Output Filesize: 2C7E
Done!

ECC created
Writing Nand
image_00000000.ecc
Done!
in 0:10 min:sec

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
Your CoolRunner isn't programmed with the correct XSVF.

You need to use one of the Corona timing files (I found that 3_2 and 3_3 worked best overall).

The timing file you wrote to the CoolRunner is for phat RGH2 consoles.

This is exactly why we ask to see images AND logs - it would have saved us all some time if you filled out the template correctly in the first place.

Last edited:

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
Oh man, that's a NooB for you! Okay. Obviously we will redo with the correct files. I still wonder, would these issues prevent it from turning on?

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
You know it makes a ding when we plug in the power source and the CoolRunner's red LED lights up, but no beep or any response when the power button's pressed.

Speaking of the crystal, is that part of the purpose of the QSB_CR_UPDATE?

chase

VIP Member
Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
corona doesn't use stby_clk so it need the crystal.. i think its used for clock timing or something like that

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
You know it makes a ding when we plug in the power source and the CoolRunner's red LED lights up, but no beep or any response when the power button's pressed.

Speaking of the crystal, is that part of the purpose of the QSB_CR_UPDATE?
Load nanddump1.bin in to the source box in J-Runner, write the image back to the console and let us know if it boots (don't forget to set the switch on the CR to PRG).

The QSB you bought is fine because it has the crystal included in it's design.

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
Alright we wrote the nanddump1.bin back to the console she boots up now. Thank you! - should we now proceed to program the cool runner with the proper files?

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
Alright, done. Here is an excerpt from the log. So we have a console that now turns on, but no glitch (no green light on CoolRunner). I'm wondering if it's our wiring. Thoughts?

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files
Corona
RGH2 Selected
Writing Nand
nanddump1.bin
Done!
in 1:58 min:sec

Programming Coolrunner
C:\Users\Current User\Desktop\J-Runner\common\xsvf\corona.3_2.xsvf
Flashing C:\Users\Current User\Desktop\J-Runner\common\xsvf\corona.3_2.xsvf to CoolRunner
Input Filesize: 593E
Output Filesize: 2CFA
Done!

ECC created
Writing Nand
image_00000000.ecc
Done!
in 0:09 min:sec

ECC created
Device Not Found.
Writing Nand
image_00000000.ecc
Done!
in 0:10 min:sec

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
We do. Now, what about the CPU_RST_CLEANER, would it not gllitch depending on the DIP setting? Right now we have 1 and 1. Or does that not matter?

nana_yaw

Aug 14, 2013
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought you were supposed to remove the resistors on the coolrunner on JP and 2-3. There should be a pic install in Jrunner. I use these settings. Also solder
the blue wire straight to FT3T10. Never had any luck with the CPU_RST Cleaner and the yellow wire to 5 on the postfix adapter and see if that gets your CR LED to blink.

CR set to PHAT
JP - Open
2-3 - Closed
Timing file: 3 - 3

Last edited:

kingfresh

Nov 14, 2013
Arizona
Well I still have a problem with no glitch, but I'll make a separate thread for that. Thanks everyone for your help! I'm guessing it was the wrong program that was stopping it from booting. Or at least that's what happened - we wrote cleandump.1 back to the console and it worked again. :)