Not booting

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
Firmware: 6.2.0
Serial :XAW100575

Follwed all of the instructions and nothing happens when I hold volume + and hit the power button.

I've tied multiple brand new SD cards.

I plug the SX into the USB port, it turns green, I wait 10 seconds, I unplug it and the LED turns off. I plug in RCM jumper and then I plug the SX into the switch and hold + and press power, then light flashes red and after a second it flashes blue and nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong or is this SX dongle bad?

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
What is your SD formatted and do you have the boot.dat on your SD root?

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Hmmm. I think red either means it can't find the boot file or the Switch is not in RCM mode. Make sure that you jig is plugged in pushed down the joycon slot all the way.

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
It's plugged all the way. I reformatted one of the cards and downloaded a new boot.dat to a different drive but that didn't help any.

This thing is acting weird. Sometimes when I connect it to the switch the light turns green. I also have to push the power button twice before I see the LEDs flash. I hold vol and push power, the light turns off (if it's even on that time) but no quick LED flashes, if I press power again I see either red or green flash and then either a blue flash or a blue then green flash.

I did notice the system did create a Nintendo folder on the SD card, if that means anything

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
It's plugged all the way. I reformatted one of the cards and downloaded a new boot.dat to a different drive but that didn't help any.

This thing is acting weird. Sometimes when I connect it to the switch the light turns green. I also have to push the power button twice before I see the LEDs flash. I hold vol and push power, the light turns off (if it's even on that time) but no quick LED flashes, if I press power again I see either red or green flash and then either a blue flash or a blue then green flash.

I did notice the system did create a Nintendo folder on the SD card, if that means anything
@m4a2t0t try using tegraRCM from your computer and see if that lets you boot to CFW. If not then it is something with the Switch or your setup.

For me it is synonymous, but I have the firmware 7.0.10 and with me I have also got a black screen.
@PhantomHyper You are having a different issue. Please start your own thread.

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
OK. I installed Tegra and with the jig installed it says it's in RCM mode. Do i try to inject the sx_loader.bin from the list or use another payload?

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
You would need the bin file I believe since you are not using the dongle for this test. You will have to download it from the SX site. There is a section for non-pro users.

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
I ran fusee-test.bin and it came back sucess and said it was vulnerable

I ran the payload.bin from TX and it runs and says the payload was loaded but nothing happens to the switch. If I push power it just goes out of RCM mode.

running biskeydump and it just hangs after opened USB device path. I stopped it and ran it again and it hangs at uploading payload

Last edited:

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
It's still on 6.2.0. I've had it in airplane mode and never connected it to wifi since I bought it.

I have hekate running and I am backuping up the NAND right now. When it's done i'll try and load atmosphere and see what happens.

If atmosphere loads can I assume the SX dongle is bad?

Last edited:

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Not necessarily because you can't even get SX to load from tegraRCM. Something else is for sure up with your setup since SX loads fine for a lot of other people. Have you tested the SDs to make sure they are not fake?

The only other thing it can be is that your console, somehow, connected to the net and updated to 7.0. Maybe someone else used your Switch and did it, who knows. Just throwing ideas out, because we know SX works.

As a note, as far as I know hekate is just a bootloader. You would still need to try and boot an actual CFW. 7.0 will still allow you to boot to a bootloader, just not CFW.

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
Atmosphere loaded up fine. Will Atmosphere boot on 7.0?

Was I supposed to do anything different to the SD card when using tegra to boot? I just had the boot.dat on it and I used the payload file from the site.

Can you confirm that A0288657395C9D80653AF1C38247DE14 is the correct MD5 hash for the boot.dat?

I am certain the cards are genuine and have no problems using them in other devices.

Tried a 3rd SD card and still no dice with SX

Last edited:

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Can't speak for Atmoshpere since we don't support that here. I am not sure if having the boot.dat and the payload.bin on the same SD will cause a problem, but for the tegrarcm I believe you need the payload.bin

Not honestly sure what's wrong at this point since atmosphere works, but SX also works for plenty of people. I can't confirm the hash since I do not have one to compare too. Sorry. I think you said you did this, but just to double check, did you redownload the .dat file again?

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
Ya, I downloaded a new boot.dat to a different SSD and I use HashTab to check file hashes and both were the same.

OK. I have no idea where I download the first boot.dat but it wasnt the right one lol. When I downloaded the SX OS this time it was 18MB and the first one I had was 8KB. Anyways it booted right into SX with the dongle.

I checked and I was using the SX gear boot.dat instead of the SX OS boot.dat.

One final thing. I booted CFW and when it starts it says the SD card is unuseable and needs to be formatted. When I click on the album it looks like its starting to load and then goes back to the menus.

Last edited:

imprezgc8

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
Ya, I downloaded a new boot.dat to a different SSD and I use HashTab to check file hashes and both were the same.

OK. I have no idea where I download the first boot.dat but it wasnt the right one lol. When I downloaded the SX OS this time it was 18MB and the first one I had was 8KB. Anyways it booted right into SX with the dongle.

I checked and I was using the SX gear boot.dat instead of the SX OS boot.dat.

One final thing. I booted CFW and when it starts it says the SD card is unuseable and needs to be formatted. When I click on the album it looks like its starting to load and then goes back to the menus.
Glad it is booting now. As for the SD message, it usually comes up when your SD is formatted exFAT and you do not have the exFAT driver. Though if you were able to boot with exFAT it might not be that. Did your Switch come with 6.2 installed already or did you update to 6.2?

m4a2t0t

Noob Account
Feb 5, 2011
When I got the switch it was on 6.2 but I bought it off someone not new from a store.

Everything is working now and all activated.

Thanks for the help.

Support Our Sponsors