LITEON 74850 Not reading discs.

VizualDze

Sep 18, 2011
Hey guys, wondering if you would be able to help. I've got an Xbox that has stopped reading disks. When you put a game in and close the tray it tries for about 2secs to read it then just says 'Open Tray' in the box.

I noticed that one time it worked when I turned the Xbox on with a game already inside, but that only happened one random time.

Is there any easy method to fix this or am I looking at needing to get another drive?

Utmad

VIP Member
Aug 15, 2010
Southampton, UK
First I would take apart and clean the lens with alcohol, if this is no good then you just need to replace the laser or try a pot tweak.

Once it is open also clean out all the hair and dust and any crud on the worm gear.

Cleanliness is the key to good working drives

Last edited:

VizualDze

Sep 18, 2011
I cleaned the laser and it is now reading the disks, but it seems to be taking longer than usual and making a few weird noises. Is there anything else I can try to finish the job?

Airborne 88

Feb 14, 2007
The Netherlands
Recently, I got a new drive ordered since the previous one died on me. Now that I have flashed the new drive with my key, it won't read XGD3 games anymore, just XGD2. On the other hand, it does show play game with the XGD3 format, but without a picture or saying the title and when pressing "A", it kicks me back to the dashboard. Any suggestions on what this might be? Also, to inform about, is that I have been pot tweaking afterwards. I measured the first time at 6.65 K ohms, reduced it to 6.10, 5.99, 4.77 and one last time till 3.20. Still nothing on reading the XGD3 games.
I've never been this desperate to ask for help, cos usually all of the typed info here helped me out alot! I'm afraid I will never be able to play games again :-(

scott1503

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2012
Harrogate, North Yorkshire , uk
Recently, I got a new drive ordered since the previous one died on me. Now that I have flashed the new drive with my key, it won't read XGD3 games anymore, just XGD2. On the other hand, it does show play game with the XGD3 format, but without a picture or saying the title and when pressing "A", it kicks me back to the dashboard. Any suggestions on what this might be? Also, to inform about, is that I have been pot tweaking afterwards. I measured the first time at 6.65 K ohms, reduced it to 6.10, 5.99, 4.77 and one last time till 3.20. Still nothing on reading the XGD3 games.
I've never been this desperate to ask for help, cos usually all of the typed info here helped me out alot! I'm afraid I will never be able to play games again :-(
Try asking in your own thread instead of jumping on someone else's