OFW 4.0.1 -> 9.0.1

marius18br

Noob Account
Dec 3, 2019
France
Hello guys, i just bought a brand new non patched nsw (lucky me). it runs on OFW 4.0.1. Do you think it's a good idea to update to the official 9.0.1 before i use the sx pro? or should i just make a backup and keep the sysnand on 4.0.1 while using CWF 9.0.1? I see a lot of users having problems when using different versions of OFW / CFW. Thanks a bunch.

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
So first off, if you plan to ever go back to 4.0.1 after upgrading to 9.0.1, you will not be able to use your cart slot. 9.0.1 updates the cart slot and it cannot be downgraded nor will it read games if you downgrade your FW to anything lower than 9.0.1.

That being said, first thing you should do is make a NAND backup and save it to a million places hehe. Then what you can do is, after getting your Pro and activating your license, create an emunand and update that. This way your sysnand will stay at 4.0.1 and also will be left "clean".

sysnand = internal Switch storage
emunand = copy of the sysnand on your SD card that you can boot CFW to

You should not run into any issues leaving your sysnand at 4.0.1 (other than what I mentioned above about the cart slot if you downgrade) and creating an emunand that is upgraded to 9.0.1. Plenty of people do this.

Reactions: marius18br

marius18br

Noob Account
Dec 3, 2019
France
thanks a lot, my sx pro is arriving tomorrow. I don't see why I would want to downgrade to 4.0.1. Can't i just update the ofw to 9.0.1 and then make a nand backup ?

Velvet

Nov 9, 2018