Open Letter to Team Xecuter Regarding X3 Modchip

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
Request to restart production of Xecuter 3 Modchip and several ancillary products.

The relative value of an Original Xbox presents an interesting opportunity to Team Xecuter, in my view. Consider the following facts and opinions:
1. The Original Xbox is cheap and plentiful.
2. It is now perceived as retro product or vintage gear in the minds of many gamers.
3. There are a huge number of dedicated Xbox Original users.
4. A new wave of users have entered the market due to CoinOPS, emus and softmodded systems.
5. There are a multitude of spare parts, upgrades, documented mods and hacks that make this the greatest console for the person who wants to personalize their system.
6. Scores of current soft-modders and former hard-modders are very familiar with the system.
7. CoinOPS and the rest of the emulator scene continue to provide an outstanding range of gaming options that are simply amazing.
8. Xbox Media Center for the Original Xbox still offers a great platform as a media hub and menu system.
9. Opinion: It is unlikely that sales in this market segment would poach any sales from Xbox 360 or Xbox One modding products.
10. Challenge: PATA hard drives are not as plentiful as they used to be. The difficulties of sourcing sufficient drive upgrades or incorporating SATA drives is problematic. Replacement DVD drives are also difficult to locate.​

Key points:
· Team Xecuter made the best mods for the Original Xbox.
· The X3 modchip and BIOS were the best combination for the Original Xbox.
· Team Xecuter had a solid support system for its products.
· The Xecuter 3 Control Panel and Pro Switch gave modders plenty of upgrade options.
· Team Xecuter products, particularly the ones mentioned in the above point, are very much sought after by collectors and modders today.

Is it a growing market? No. However, there are sufficient numbers of interested consumers and the potential for new customers.
Why a modchip instead of a simple soft-mod when there is no need to protect the system from Xbox Live exposure? The wow factor! The Xecuter name! So much of this scene has always been about personalization and having a better system than one’s peers, or at least matching them.

Potential production and sales options:

Limited run of the most desirable products – X3 modchip, X3 Control Panel and Pro Switch. Produced in sufficient numbers to satisfy the market, generate some buzz, remind the “old guard” about the glory days, provide a “thank you” to the scores of faithful Team Xecuter fans. While the market waits for Xbox One mods this could be a way to generate some additional sales.

I do not know what the financial thresholds are or what volume of product would need to be produced in order for this to make sense for Team Xecuter. I am willing to make a material financial commitment and have communicated with other customers who have the same view. Specifically, one customer is willing to purchase 25 X3 modchips. I will distribute the product if necessary. I would even be willing to get pre-commitments.

I also recognize that attention is presently on Xbox One, which is forward looking. Generating product for a system that is two generations back may not be part of the plan. How much effort is required to pull the kit out of mothballs and restart production? Is there enough interest within Team Xecuter to make this happen?

I am willing to help in any way I can to make this a reality.

CC Rider

gazcoigne

BANNED
Jan 31, 2005
Belfast, UK
the original X3 chip and different products were amazing in my opinion, i personally owned an xbox original with complete X3CP install and i loved it dearly.

i recently sold it for £50 and there was quite a lot of interest around it, which would verify the OP's claims.

but seeing as all the homebrew, emulators etc are also available for the 360 (minus XBMC) i dont see the need for any more mods for this system when it can be done on a much more recent system.

plus the financial requjirement from TX to produce the kit with no real guarantee of returns. im sure they would have o make a lot more than 25 chips to make it worthwhile.

the bios etc are still available, and im sure it wouldnt be too much of a project to build your own chip as a homebrew project.

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
Thanks for the comment @gazcoigne. My expectation is that the number of chips produced would be in the thousands, but I have no idea where the numerical threshold is for TX. I mentioned one order from one customer for 25 chips. There are many others just like that one. Imagine the feeding frenzy from pent-up demand in the secondary market where it is impossible to find an X3. "Get them while they last because this is the final run of X3 chips!"

CC Rider

360Player90

Oct 16, 2013
UK
Wow you joied back in 2003, A true member here.

I would be interested in installing one in, Just for something to do and show!
Am sure many others would be interested in buying ready made Xbox's with the X3 inside.

Last edited:

Deksmor

Jun 2, 2013
London, UK
Yeah me too, and I know that there are a lot of people willing to pay for the X3 modchip and the X3CP in various colors :D myself included :D if you take a look at the retrogaming forums, you'd notice that a lot of people are looking for the X3 chip and the X3Cp, I'd buy evey variant of the X3CP and several X3 chips, Ok, I should stop dreaming now lol

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
If you look diligently in these forums you will easily find numerous residents who speak when they ought to remain silent.

The evidence is nearby.

CCRider

Reactions: stmem

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a couple, I have a few Xboxes with corrupted HDDs, that I would enjoy fixing up with some of these to start a beowulf cluster. Just thinking about the number crunching I could get these boxes to do....:) They are cheap/officiant little linux machines if set up correctly, and can be used for more than playing games. Also a lot cheaper than buying 360's. I considered running a tsop mod on the ones I have, but since the data on the HDDs is corrupt, and I cant get the computer to unlock them, with the eeprom dumped(made my own eeprom dumper, and still couldnt get the hdds unlocked, it would be nice to slap some chips in them, then be able to build a new hdd from nothing.(Well I have many xbox 1 hdd backups from my days with the soft mods, and TSOP mods, never did install any Chips in my Original Xboxes, as most of the people I was doing them for wanted cheapest options available. Wish I had though..... also I was in high school, and didnt have a credit card to order any of the parts.)

metalfan

VIP Member
Oct 31, 2011
Yes....I still want X3's, X3CP's and X3IR kit's for all the same reason's you mentioned in your first post.

APE992

Noob Account
Aug 7, 2005
There are clones out there, but I want originals and the addons.

And I know I could sell plenty of them as a reseller.

Reactions: metalfan

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
Read Xecuter's 10-Year Anniversary interview by Bald Bouncer and tell me if you think Team Xecuter has the scale and sufficient industry resources to re-manufacture the X3 & other items I mentioned. They are not a fly-speck operation.

http://www.rheena.com/showthread.php?t=152706

For example, consider the following quote from Xecuter:

A little known fact is that Xecuter is just a small part of our company. Our factory designs and manufacturers many products in the electronics industry and not just video games. There are several brand names and many OEM devices. Naturally we are bound by NDA's so I can't talk about those.

I will say that it's amusing when you see some angry user posting on a website how much they hate Xecuter blah blah blah but they shout the praises of XYZ product, when that exact product we designed and manufactured in the first place. That always brings a smile

We are currently working with a number of vendors with various products that will be mainstream (sold in places such as Best Buy, GameStop, Frys, Radio Shack etc)

In my view, it's not a question of IF THEY CAN, it's a question of WANT. Do they want to apply the necessary resources to satisfy this market segment.

CCRider

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
Here is a historical cost snapshot for the benefit of newer or younger members. The barrier to entry regarding a modded Original Xbox console compares favorably to current generation consoles.

· The cost for an Original Xbox was on the order of $299. That included one controller and the stock power and video cables. I purchased mine at Costco, which included a second controller and the DVD remote control. It was just over $300.
· The 120 gig Seagate drive I purchased was ~$150.
· The first Xecuter modchip I purchased was a 2.1 variant. I think it was about $35. Much later, the X3 chip sold for about $50.
· That made the total cost of ownership approximately $500 more or less for a modded system.

· Today you can purchase a decent fully equipped Xbox for $75 or less – typically there are numerous games, extra cables & controllers. A person who is patient can often find them for $25 or less.
· PATA drives are not as easy to find as they used to be although eBay sellers generally offer a wide range of refurbished high capacity drives. If a functioning SATA – PATA converter was available it would help. In any case, 500 gig drives are available for ~$50.
· If an Xecuter 3 modchip was offered for less than $50 then the total cost of ownership for a complete modded system is around $150.

Not only is the barrier for entry much lower than it used to be, consumers and customers may then have more of their gaming $$$ with which to purchased additional modding hardware.

By contrast, look at the entry cost for an Xbox One: $499 just to walk through the door. Then there’s the additional cost for a few more terabytes of storage. To this point there are no meaningful mods available, however, I would not expect to see any mods for this system under $50. As a consequence, the total cost of ownership for a modded system is in the neighborhood of $700. Congratulations to the ones who are willing to drop that kind of coin for a tricked-out console. How does it compare to the $150 level? How many users are in each segment of the market?

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
I get your point and i got another thougt:
if your a developer of a product that no longer in production, you have no "active" replacements on the market and have no plans on start producing this product again, why not set it free? Release the gerbers, FWs and documents so thar who ever wants one at least could make their own unit.

Xecuter or anyone with the answer to this, feel free to reply. I wont mind :)

Vinneh

VIP Member
Apr 21, 2011
Texas, USA
I get your point and i got another thougt:
if your a developer of a product that no longer in production, you have no "active" replacements on the market and have no plans on start producing this product again, why not set it free? Release the gerbers, FWs and documents so thar who ever wants one at least could make their own unit.

Xecuter or anyone with the answer to this, feel free to reply. I wont mind :)
This is one of those questions that have been debated in the industry for years. Everyone will have their own opinion and will depend solely on the developer(s) themselves.
If someone was to release something opensource, then anyone can use it freely. But then again there are companies out there that will take that work and make money off it, without the original developer making anything (yes its open source but making money off someones hard work?). Again it depends on the developer and their views.