Open Letter to Team Xecuter Regarding X3 Modchip

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
From what I was told the some/all their stuff on making the chips was lost. So not only is components that are needed to make the chips no longer available but needed info is gone.
@stevo1978 I find it both logically and impossibly difficult to accept this as fact. If true it would mean that TX is a collection of bumbling, bungling fools. Imagine the conversation around the conference table:

"There's additional market interest in some of our legacy products. Bring me the necessary materials for review"

"Sorry sir, our backup files were accidentally deleted and we mistakenly shredded any remaining documents relating to their manufacture."

Don't buy it. Sheer unadulterated lunacy to accept this at face value. "Here, drink this cup of Kool Aid son."

TX is not a garage band. They are a professional technology company.

I will drop it when they step out and say it themselves: Either that they don't want to go to the trouble of producing any product for the Original Xbox or that they completely disposed of everything associated with that generation and they don't want anyone else to do it.

Curious.

CCRider

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
i did hear that the company that made the screens used stopped making them. as for the chp itself, they could pull that off.

CCRider

Oct 24, 2003
Juneau, Alaska
Here is something else worthy of consideration: There are no research & development costs that have to be amortized with respect to X3 modchips and other items I mentioned in the original post. That has already been absorbed on the balance sheet. There might be some re-tooling and replacement part issues to deal with, although nothing insurmountable for a company that is purportedly as respected and connected as TX. There is a well-established distribution network and no pesky competition this time around.

In my view, this is low-hanging fruit just asking to be picked. I wonder if anyone is willing to take a detour from their current task list and make it happen.

CCRider

mando132

Noob Account
Feb 20, 2014
I would buy a few of these myself. So I'm backing this.. Maybe they should start a kickstarter page like most musicians do lol.

madcitysw

Jul 24, 2003
Wow, yes I do remember when I was modding the original xboxes for people that used to live near me when xbox 360 didn't exists, but to be honest alot people quit playing them once the xbox 360 came out. I had people ask me to mod their xbox 360, but I refused at the time because it was new and didn't want the headace. I always been a TX fan of their products and never once used a different brand, I trusted TX and I still do.

davidthomas

Noob Account
Jan 5, 2014
I guess I am really late to the party! I am a huge lover of the original xbox and I have over 40 of them right now and I have been collecting these X3 mod chips every chance I can from ebay and I have about 15 of them right now and I know that I would buy another 20 of them and I also own 1 of each color of the X3CP and let me tell you that it took me almost 5 years to finally get a green one! These products are extremely sought after and I would buy multiple of the blue and green X3CPs. I have quite a few of the clear and black already.

professor_jonny

VIP Member
I had the same responce from tx several years ago i beleve the original dev team that created the x3 have mostly retired and taken the info with them, I believe there was also a server failure and this info was lost.

I started a project some time ago to add delay to the bios to wait for slow sata to ide drives and converters.
problem is the bios references top down and bottom up and makes editing very difficult.

I have some ida projects and flirt signatures from back in the day when some people I wont name were around..

I was able to bash up a ida script and import it over the x2 bios and it gave me a lot the commenting throughout the bios pulled from the projects of other talented bios hackers from the original xbox linux team and other places.

oz_pauls original lba 48 patch work and the kernel load segment patch is in there so you basically can add code into the kernel and recreate the checkums in the 2nd stage bootloader so it will pass the kernel checks on boot up.

essencially there is everything there to start xbox kernel patching.

What I was wanting to do is patch in code to on the fly for xbox's with upgraded processors (friendtech and trusty boards) to avoid games running too fast and video issuies with bink videos.

I thaught adding wait states between cpu cycles as an intrim fix but it is really really dirty but it introduced other timing problems that are beyond me.

I did sucessfully add a delay during boot to allow ide to sata adaptors to initilise before the xbox throws a error on boot up but it caused problems with the watch dog timer resetting the xbox and requires something to stop that from freaking out, my temp fix was to lift the reset pin on the smc dirty and it worked but not very well.

Obviously I cant post the ida projects on here as the original owners liscences may get revoked but im wondering if someone may know of a way to remove the software watermark so i may post these on the net for people who may be smarter than me to hopefully follow on from where I have left off in the too hard basket?

If there Would there be any one around that may be still intrested in this stuff i can pass it on?

It would be nice is someone brought the bios to allow 3tb hdd's but this requires extending the sector count throughout the bios to a 64 bit number which is a real task.

davidthomas

Noob Account
Jan 5, 2014
Having a 3TB drive would solve some issues for me. I have a complete library of all the US, JAP and PAL games. They will all fit on 3 750 IDE drives with the x-tender lit installed. But it is a little to much for 1 2TB drive. SO that would something that I could really use!

I also have a couple of the 1GHz CPU upgrades and a 1.4GHz upgrade. THe 1.4GHz does have that speed control switch and it cuts the CPUs performance in half at 700MHz but it is still not perfect and any advancements with this will always be appreciated.

If you need testers I am ready and willing.

Blaze Uchiha

Noob Account
Jan 19, 2016
I missed out on the hay-days of the original xbox and modding them. Now that I finally have one I want to mod it. And if I'm going to do that, then I'd want the best and after all of my research, the X3 IS the best. I'd totally buy one. The only one I found online was on eBay for a whopping 400USD. That is ridiculous and it might not even be genuine. It's sad that they discontinued an apparently very sought after item. Where TX is missing out on sales, the makers of the Aladdin XT+ is getting them. It's an inferior product that TX could easily capitolize on. Especially since there's still a market for them.

Last edited:

Blaze Uchiha

Noob Account
Jan 19, 2016
I missed out on the hay-days of the original xbox and modding them. Now that I finally have one I want to mod it. And if I'm going to do that, then I'd want the best and after all of my research, the X3 IS the best. I'd totally buy one. The only one I found online was on eBay for a whopping 400USD. That is ridiculous and it might not even be genuine. It's sad that they discontinued an apparently very sought after item. Where TX is missing out on sales, the makers of the Aladdin XT+ is getting them. It's an inferior product that TX could easily capitolize on. Especially since there's still a market for them.
Or at least make them to order to save on costs.

Blaze Uchiha

Noob Account
Jan 19, 2016
What would it take for TX to sale this product again? I don't want to pay exorbitant prices for something that was valued at around $50 when it was on the market. Now is a good time to bring it back with retro console mods being all the rage these days. Besides, if you do find one, people sale all of the parts seperately.This is crazy!