Pesky Nand and Xell (E79)

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Didnt want to highjack anyone elses thread so I thought I'd put a Q & A together as I'm stuck :(

So, Got my Nand-X installed on a Xenon MB.
Dashboard is updated to 7371.
Kernel 1903.
DVD Drive Not Connected
Power in but Not on

I've soldered the wires directly to the MB rather than the pin headers or QSB and used the QSB for the Jtag.
I think my soldering is ok, but I'm willing to do it again.
I've dumped my Nand 3 times and each time it gives me bad blocks.
These 3 bad blocks are in the exact same locations each time.
I've then compared it in Nand Compare and receive 0 bad blocks.

Q. Do I have to move these bad blocks to proceed?

A.

Q If I have to move them, whats the easiest or best way, I've tried but not had any joy as yet?

A.

Q. I've gone ahead regardless and Written Xell to my Nand, Xbox then goes into 1 ROL and E79. If I restore the nand, xbox boots up fine. Is this because of the Bad Blocks or bad soldering or something else?

A.

Cheers mi Dears! :D

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
No luck Im afraid chum.
Got the bad blocks moved to the end of the nand 0x3FD, FE, FF, something along those lines, wrote xell back and too a couple of times, no joy.
Used Ubers guide to extract the bad data, still no luck.
The xbox ia atill working, always does if I write back the original nand, just cant get to grips with xell :-(
I've watched your vid and it's pretty much fool proof, so I dont see what it is.
Anyway, must go relax for a bit. Maybe have a stab again tomorrow.

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Yeah, tried all three settings.
Just got up so I'll grab a brew and have a fresh start at it.
So I'll dump the NAND 3 times, make sure the bad blocks are at the backend, run them through compare NAND, then I'll try to write xell again.

I'm kinda tempted to leave this one and have a go at the other Xbox I fixed, see if that's any different, but I'll give this anothershot first.

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Update -
Nope, Still no go.
Removed all my saved Nand images from yesterday and started again.
Dumped nand 3 times, got same bad blocks in same locations each time. Ran through nand compare, 0 Bad blocks found.
Ran through degraded, showed me that the bad blocks had been moved to the end of the flash 3FD, 3FE, 3FF. Wrote Xell with resitor settings, off, 330 & 470.
Each time got two write errors "error 202 programming block 360" and "error 202 programming block 3DF", flashed back to original Nand, xbox boots fine.
Did this scenario, as I said with the switch off, 330 and 470.

After writing Xell, No E79 anymore, just black screen. So I guess somethings changed somewhere.

Anywho, enough time sent on this one. Gonna leave it and try the other one I have.

Last edited:

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
In the unlikely event that Ive returned to the hallowd halls of noob soldering school, can I check the qsb point with a multimeter?
If so,
a) are there any points which I've soldered which would give me an audible beep? (cos I'll be using my trusty beep meter)
b) Would any give me a beep

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
sure i'd check from the alt point in the post i made to the bottom side of the mobo

Last edited:

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Good News and Bad News.
Depending on how you look it Good news - I'm not a Soldering Noob
Bad News - Still no joy.

I've tested all the top points and their alts on the underneath of the mobo and tested the points in your pic.

Do you think it would be possible that this is just a box that cant be tagged? Is there such a thing?

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Yeah, no problem. Just let me know details and I'll get it off on Monday.
You want me leave the NAND and jtag stuff in place or take it off.
Also, should I send the whole box or just the mono?
Cheers

cassol80

Noob Account
Feb 15, 2010
hey,i'm having the same problems with mine, are you trying on a xenon also?
i've done a jasper without any problems at all but the xenon keep on giving me all those bad blocks and errors when first reading the nand,basically mine is doing the same thing as yours,hope they can tell us what is the problem here.
thanks

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Yeah, its on a Xenon but Ive kinda exhausetd everything I can think off for the time being. Tried using Jtag too and also doing it all manually through the cmd prompt.

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Yeah, had a bit of luck but to be honest I'm a bit swampped with fixing RROD at the mo so haven't got back to it.
Last thing I did was got xell to boot and got my CPU key. Just need a bit of spare time and I'll crack on again.

So have you been able to read your Nand yet?

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
Yeah, had a bit of luck but to be honest I'm a bit swampped with fixing RROD at the mo so haven't got back to it.
Last thing I did was got xell to boot and got my CPU key. Just need a bit of spare time and I'll crack on again.

So have you been able to read your Nand yet?

can you explain what you did ? this may help a lot of people with these Xenon issues.

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Errrr. Well I think it's just down to user error on my part (i think).
I'd already tested all of my soldering with a Multimeter so I knew things were good there.
I was using coolshrimps Jtag Tool as recommended but didnt seem to be getting anywhere, just couldnt get xell to boot.
So, and this is where it's probably user error on my part, I noticed that Jtag Tool is writing the xbins file to my nand through Nandpro. I have nandpro on the root of my C drive.
Anyway, I looked for the xbins file in it was writing in the nandpro folder, nope, not there, looked in the Jtag Tool folder, nope not there. So I'm thinking where is this file that it's writing?
So decided to find the xbins file and download it and put it into the Nandpro folder to see what happened.
I googled xbins auto, downloaded it and got the file /XBOX 360/development/free60/images/(cant remember which one will post later)

downloaded the zipped file to my desktop, unzipped it to the nandpro folder on my C:\ drive and renamed it to xell. Not to be confused with renaming it xell.bin, cos then it would be xell.bin.bin
Opened up my comand promt and changed directory to c:\nandpro then typed
C:\nandpro usb: -w16 Xell.bin

Seemed to write like previously, unplugged my Nand-X, booted the Xbox via the DVD button on the motherboard as I dont have my drive connected and bingo! Xell worked.

Now as I said, this is probably my error and I havent read the tutorial like I was supposed to or something but, thats my bad and thats why it took so long to do it (correct me if I'm wrong about downloading the xell file from xbins)

So, thats pretty much where I'm up to.

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
Alrighty then. Quick Update. Been meesing about with this on and off for a couple of weeks and Got it to work! Yay!
I currently have XBReboot running on my Xbox 360.
Previous posts got me up to and running xell, but couldnt get Freeboot to install. Ive read a bundle of stuff, watch some videos, tried everyhting I could think off.
In the end I thought I'd try XBReboot and see what happened.

I knew I had a good nand dump as I restored the xbox to full working state by flashing the nand back numerous times, so I went of to xbins, downloaded the XBReboot file for my Xenon motherboard, renamed it XBR and placed it into my NandPro folder which is in the root directory of my C drive. Also in here I placed my good nand.bin.

I manually retrieved my KV and Config file form my nand file :-

nandpro nand.bin: -r16 rawkv.bin 1 1
nandpro nand.bin: -r16 rawconfig.bin 3de 2

Then I manually injected (wrote) them into XBR :-

nandpro xbr.bin: -w16 rawkv.bin 1 1
nandpro xbr.bin: -w16 rawconfig.bin 3de 2

I then wanted to manually move the bad blocks I had which were 027C, 0360 and 03DF. This was done as below. First reading and then remapping for each one of the bad blocks. The example below is just for the first one. Yours would be different and need doing for each bad bloack.

nandpro xbr.bin: -r16 block027C.bin 027C 1 (Reads block 0x027C and saves as block227C.bin)
nandpro xbr.bin: -w16 block027C.bin 3FD 1 (Write block027C.bin to 0x3FD where block is remapped)

After I had remapped all three bad blocks, I then wrote my new XBR.bin file to the nand

nandpro usb: -w16 xbr.bin

Unpluged my Nand-X, removed 360 Power lead for a few seconds, plugged it back in. Powered the 360 from the On/Off button and XBR is installed.

In hindsight, I think that I was not paying enough attention / not doing it correctly, with regards to remapping the bad blocks.

Last edited: