Phat Falcon: Installed CR4 XL & DemoN - NANDs reading/writing fine but won't boot?

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)
Phat Falcon: Installed CR4 XL & DemoN - NANDs reading/writing fine but won't boot?

Hey guys, so after slightly botching my DemoN install in my Phat Falcon, I had a much more experienced friend re-solder (directly to NAND legs!!) and he did a great job. Because of this, I can now successfully read/write to both the internal Xbox NAND and the DemoN - woop!

He also tidied up a lot of my CR4 XL solder points, but now the console won't boot, either into stock Xbox or the CR4... Red light on the CR4 is on, and I can switch between the DemoN and stock NANDs. Sometimes it gives me three red lights (error code 0020, usually when booting into stock NAND) and sometimes it just powers on but no video output (usually when booting into DemoN NAND)...

I heard somebody saying you should use the eject button to power on once CR4 is installed? Or have I misheard? Also, I've opened the box up again and once or twice when I've booted I've seen the green 'glitch' LED flash once upon power on, but I'm not sure if I'm meant to see the 'pulses' or not (I'm doing R-JTAG method I think, rather than RGH...??)

I'm basically confused....! But through multimetering, 99% sure all soldering points are correct and fine. I know you're probably going to want to see pics of the solder points, but I'm just wondering whether there's something else I should be trying?

I've tried changing the resistor jumper and also altering the DIP switches as suggested in the Phat CR4 XL install guide, but I'm assuming these won't help if the console isn't even booting into stock....??

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
Re: Phat Falcon: Installed CR4 XL & DemoN - NANDs reading/writing fine but won't boot

Details for Error code E08/0020

Description:

This error is caused by a bridged solder joint under CPU, GPU or one of the RAM bricks.
This effect can also be caused by tin whiskers leading to shorts and if the GPU was taken off the mainboard this error will also show up.
It can also be power related(the CPU/GPU or RAM isnt getting enough power). Can also be a component that is missing or damaged so look for missing and bridged parts near the GPU.
If the console was jtagged and the resistors and cables are still connected it will show 0020, the parallel port can stay as long as no PC is connected.

Fixes:

1)If you worked on the mainboard recently(soldered or so) remove these wires because you might be drawing too much power from the GPU
Also look for missing/bridged components like capacitors/resistors
2) If you jtagged the console remove wires and resistors, the parallel port can stay as long as no PC is connected.
3) X-Clamp replacement
4) Flush with alcohol, let dry, begin Relow with flux like below
5) Reflow GPU (and RAM if this fails) area
6) Reball the GPU and RAM, for bridged solder

Source: http://xbox-experts.com/errorcode/E08/0020/

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)
Re: Phat Falcon: Installed CR4 XL & DemoN - NANDs reading/writing fine but won't boot

Thanks mate, yeah I'd already found that page/description - so my next logical step is going to be re-checking all of the solder points for bridges, although the guy that fixed it for me said he had tested them all for shorts with a meter, so I just thought I'd check with you guys first whether there's a more likely solution.....?? Or is that what you'd suggest doing next??

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana

I'd take a very close look at the board. It's posible that there are solder splashes somewhere on the board causing a short. I also suggest you take an old toothbrush and alcohol and completely clean the board. Let it dry, disable the CR4 by unsoldering the red wire and see if it will boot stock.

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

One other thing - when I first got the console back, power on/off via DemoN (by clicking buttons in JRunner) worked, but now after a bit of fiddling/flashing the NAND it seems to have stopped working... Could this be indicative of any of my problems??

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana

I've never had luck powering off the console via the Demon interface but powering on shouldn't be an issue.......? What I have found though is if the Demon isn't installed correctly, your computer won't find it, the console wont power on at all or you won't be able to read and write to and from the NANDs (Demon and stock). I wouldn't worry about that for now. I'd concentrate on trying to find a bridge or components missing. It would also be helpful if you posted HIGH QUALITY pics of the install. Maybe we can see something your not.

peanutismint

May 11, 2014
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

No probs - pics up here (hopefully they're good enough!)

http://imgur.com/a/pH6X3

You can see where my very skilled friend repaired my DemoN job using tiny gauge wire to solder directly to NAND legs...!! Luckily, like I say, the NAND stuff works absolutely fine (read & write) but now in a more alarming turn of events the console won't even turn on anymore....?!

UPDATE:
I was being a colossal tool - the console was in fact on, I had just disconnected any and all signs of it powering on (fans, optical drive, front lights etc....!!). Luckily I didn't have it on for long.....! But still no boot.

Still power to both the DemoN and the CR4 tho.... You'll see from the pics he also soldered in the NAND-X QSB - I don't think he knew I wasn't using it.... That won't matter either way...will it?

I've had a good look and a poke around with a multimeter and nothing seems bridged/shorted....

Any ideas??

Last edited: