LITEON DG-16D2S Pics of my Liteon DG-16D2S MRA/Normal switch mode mod.

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
With all the help you guys gave me, I just wanted to show my Permanent MRA / Normal Mode Switch setup on my Liteon 16D2S drive. I do apologize for the photo quality the phone's camera sucks. I did the mod so I can easily update the firmware without taking the whole drive apart. I just take drive out of the 360 and hook up to my PC and CK3 mini, move the jumpers to MRA, and press the MKA button at the correct time (MTK Vender Intro failed dialog)

The image below shows finished PCB. It shows the 2x3 header between the SATA and Power connecter, it fits perfect. I used hot glue to hold it all down.

The image below shows the top of the PCB. I located the button and 15ohm resistor in the corner. The black stuff is liquid tape (rubber), to prevent shorting.

This image below shows the hole I made in bottom of closed drive for easy access. The button is disconnected when jumpers are in ‘normal’ mode

The image below shows the back of the drive, the jumpers stick out a little bit to have access to. Put both jumpers left for normal or both right for MRA hack.

The diagram below shows where the wires are connected, the button wire (green) runs to the inside corner at bottom of board to other side

The diagram below shows the button installation. I super glued the button in place, the resistor is soldered to the ground plane and wire goes to button.

I hope you like the mod I did, It should make future firmware updates easy. If you have any questions let me know.

Reactions: voojoo

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
That's an awful amount of effort.

So I'm assuming you're not aware that once you have the dummy.bin/DVD key from a DG-16D2S drive you no longer need MRA?

Reactions: morbidj

prankster

VIP Member
Last edited:

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
it is basically grounding a 15ohm resistor at the MTK dialog for vender mode, as for dummy.bin, it saves Lite_OFW.bin (256kb), I did this button out of boredom, and I figure better to have clean ofw restore for updates and i don't have to open the drive up.

That PMT rig can be internalized too, my idea is basicly to save future time, take drve out, flip over, connect cables and flash. Also since i don't have a 360usb pro or such, ill need to swop to 800 firmware for when i want to keepsake my 360 games. I don't have much cash, but tons of electronic parts and time.

hell, Im toying with the idea of making a 2-1 sata switch and power switch, so I can mount a sata port, mode switch and mra switch on the back of the 360, wouldn't need open the 3, flip switch, connect sata and CK3 mini to back of 360 and flash.

yes, i do unnecessary mods and stuff out of boredom. i still got an original xbox in a clear case withclose to 300 uv leds crammed inside, damn blinding when its on lol, thanks for your replys

below is the text i put on label and stuck to drives bottom cover, since i don't need to open the drive, its easy reading.
Code:
1)   Set Jumpers to MRA
2)   Make sure the SATA cable is unplugged from the drive board and the  power is off
3)   Start up Jungleflasher
4)   Go to the MTK Flash 32 tab
4)   Connect the SATA Cable and Power up the Drive board.
5)   Press [Refresh Drive Properties ] Button
6)   Power off the drive
7)   Press the [Intro / Device ID]
8)   When you see the “MTK Vender Intro failed” dialog
9)   Press and hold the ‘MRA Button’
10) Power on drive board
11) Press ‘Yes’
13) When the ‘Flash tools’ buttons are enabled again release the Button
14) Press the ‘Read’ button in Flashing Tasks box.
15) Save the ‘Lite-OFW.bin’ (Recommend backing up this file, I zipped it)
17) Say ‘Yes’ to the “Loading Source” dialog (one about Auto-load thing)
18) Make sure the source and target DVD keys match.  Click ‘Save to file’ in the target
      section to save your custom firmware
19) Click the ‘MTK Flash 32’ tab and press ‘Write’
20) After it is done writing and verifying the flash you should be all set
Btw, i put the dvd key on a set of stickers, one on drive and one on motherboard, won't lose it that way, lol

have fun and good night.

Last edited:

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
oh no, Bio's at it again, used the PMT info and did a perma install of the probe into my drive, so now I can use ether MRA or PMT, why

because I can, lol

Below is the diagram for both MRA and PMT setup on the same board, the module drawing in the middle is the pref board PCB I made, it's

glued to the drives channel as the seen in the image below this one, the board uses a header that lets the main pcb to be removed while

the PMT mini-board stays. The jumper on the mini-pcb is to enable or disable the PMT, basically when the jumper is on the left the switch

is shorted so it's always on and the PMT button is disconnected, when it's on the right the switch and button are enabled.

On the image below the PMT mini-board, I did the 3.3v switch tap at the power connecter on the topside shown by magenta arrow, the 3.3v is

disconnected from PCB via cut in the trace between Power connector and 3 vias.

The image below shows the addition of the ports for PMT controls

Basically only one probe can be operated at one time, but at least I got options per-installed, lol.

Can't wait to get my CR rev3 (or CR3 lite if in stock), JR programmer, etc for my Jasper. I got a feeling this so called "new phat hack"

is ether not coming or take way to long :D

Last edited:

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
I dumped my liteon DG-16D2S firmware with MRA and PMT, they have diffrent MD5 checksum. I was wondering what the diffrenes are, in jungleflasher PMT uses 'DVDkey 32' and MRA uses 'MTK Flash 32', what the information does one have the other doesn't (did multi-dumps the MDS for the bin type are the same)

9EE0A3FFFB91C884684A88A27E6E6F63 Dummy.bin = PMT
57CFDFF58835F46E06A7FE9525C2C969 Lite-OFW.bin = MRA

Here is a pcb file if you want to make your own

.pcb & Gerber files below

http://www.4shared.com/zip/ZJpf8VAl/PMT_Pcb.html

I got bored and made a PMT DVD power cable based on info I collected, Thx everyone.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
I dumped my liteon DG-16D2S firmware with MRA and PMT, they have diffrent MD5 checksum. I was wondering what the diffrenes are, in jungleflasher PMT uses 'DVDkey 32' and MRA uses 'MTK Flash 32', what the information does one have the other doesn't (did multi-dumps the MDS for the bin type are the same)

9EE0A3FFFB91C884684A88A27E6E6F63 Dummy.bin = PMT
57CFDFF58835F46E06A7FE9525C2C969 Lite-OFW.bin = MRA
The MRA hack will give you a full firmware dump and PMT (PhatKey, not DVDKey32) only dumps dummy data from the drive (this is enough to create LT firmware from).

The MRA hack should only really be used on "stubborn" drives that won't work with PhatKey or on drives where the 0x00 button was clicked.

Last edited:

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
thx for the info, sorry for the noobness, i havent messed with a 360 since 2008, so all the new stuff is bit over whelming.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
i havent messed with a 360 since 2008, so all the new stuff is bit over whelming.
That probably explains why you didn't choose to use PhatKey in the first place.

This stuff really is as simple as it sounds now :).

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
I have a question, i know wrong forum for this, my 360 is a jasper 16mb 16202, I want to glitch it, I'm planning on JR programmer v2, CR rev C (or CR3 lite if in stock), phat qsb, what other hardware you recommend

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
You should search the forum because that question has been answered numerous times.

I know this is your thread, but we like to keep things organised here :).

Biopcb

Mar 18, 2007
ny state
I got bored and made a DVD Drive Switch, It’s a device that let’s you access the drive’s ports without disassembling the 360. It is installed behind the drive inside the 360, one set of Power and SATA connections goes to the drive other to the 360 motherboard, the External Ports are passed though a slot in the back of the 360 or you can mount it the way you want. There are 2 header sets, one is for PMT 3.3v switch and “Probing” button, the other is for MRA enabling switch, and MRA probing button.

I designed the PCB in Protel 99SE, I designed the Schematic in CircuitMaker 2000. It’s a rough design , I did it with relays because I don’t have access to some info I needed (ISP down, wrote this in advance). I know it can be down with a microcontroller or CPLD, or pile of transistors, I just like the isolated contacts in relays.

So, by default (no power do PCB) the relays connect the drive to the 360’s connections and the PMT and MRA are disabled, When the relays are powered the drive is routed to the external ports and ether MRA or PMT can be used. (The reason I keep MRA in my designs, It’s good to have it as a fall back).

I seen a product of some kind for slim, that has a replacement back panel. If is based on same idea, well coodos for a great idea. I made this out of boredom and getting annoyed at taking 1/2 million things off the 360 just to get in.

Below is some images of the PCB (and the 3D rendering) of the PCB

Below is a image of the schematic

Here is the link to the archive for all related info

http://www.4shared.com/zip/rGYISriN/DVD_switch_12.html

Here are points I used in the design.

The archive includes:
CAM for DVD switch 1.2 folder (Gerber files for fabrication)
switch pcb 1.2.jpg (image of the PCB)
DVD Switch 1.2.pcb (PCB made in Protel 99SE, can be read in CircuitMaker's TraxMaker and other apps)
DVD_Switch.ckt (made in CircuitMaker)

Note: If anyone wants to use this design or idea for whatever, I give permission. Have fun, change what you want. Just my 2 cents to the community

Note: Do to limited space behind the drive you might what to use right-angle connectors and hard solder the other end to the pcb to reduce space. Once relays are replaced with solid state solution I'll make a version that will piggy back behind the drive and have a attachable panel behind the 360 (Phat will need a slot made to run connection cable)

I know these ideas seem pointless, but I make them to solve issues I have, so I fig it might help someone else.

Have fun!