SAMSUNG MS25 'Play DVD' on some games

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LoneWolf913

So, got a Xenon, 2006 mfg date, never opened until I cleaned it out and fixed the stuck drive tray, tested to make sure it'd play games, it was on..forgot what dash, pre-13599 for sure, think it was 12625. Updated it to 14719 via USB, checked for Live connectivity and could get online fine, not banned or anything. Tried a game again just to be safe, got 'Play DVD'. That was Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Same error with Halo ODST. Aliens vs Predator works fine, as does any given DVD movie I throw in, so it's not a laser issue I don't think..all my games are in mint shape anyways. Haven't checked it out with Jungleflasher yet, but I can't imagine it was flashed at any point, as the warranty seal was intact and I could update to the latest dashboard and connect to Live without a ban. Anybody got any ideas? I'll pop it open in a few minutes just to see what JF says, but I'm not too hopeful. Thought Sniper might've been XGD3 so I tried Halo, which as far as I know isn't anything special..but neither of those work, while AvP does..kind of scratching my head here.

Edit: Dumped in JF, drive shows as an MS25 still? Thought all Samsungs were flashed up to MS28 on the new dash...post-13146 stock firmware shows an MS28 OSIG. Thinking this is my issue, but don't want to flash up to post-13146 stock fw until somebody can confirm that it's correct.

Last edited:

-DoC-

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2004
US
Since it is a xenon are you just going to flash the drive and sell it Wolf?

If you are why not just do an official update and reflash?

Xenons aren't worth the effort to RGH.

hersheys247

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Detroit area, MI, USA
As far as all the ms25 I have dealt with, they all became ms28 once updated, kinda strange... Another point, try cleaning laser with cotton swab, very gently, had the same issue, plays some disc not others until I did that,

Sent from my brain tumor causing device using tapatalk

L

LoneWolf913

Doc, definitely just selling it, but gotta get it playing retails first. Not planning to RGH since, as you said, they're a pain and won't even boot a dashboard to start with. My question was more of a 'I already did the retail update and broke it' kind of thing :tongue:

Hersheys, I'll give replacing the laser entirely a shot, I'm still not entirely convinced that's the issue since it dumps as a MS25 according to JF, but it can't hurt to have a nice new laser in there.

Might've just figured out how to answer my own question too, I have a few MS25s I bought off eBay over six months ago as replacements, going to dump one of those and compare the fw with what's on my Xenon, if they match chances are the dashboard update didn't successfully flash my drive for some reason. It did grind and spin the disc motor a few times while updating, so who knows.. Also I believe I can just dump the nand, monkey with the firmware to my heart's content till it plays games, then flash the un-flagged, un-whatevered nand back to the console..we'll see. Will post back in a few minutes once I flash it forward to the post-13146 firmware offline and potentially swap lasers.

Edit: Flashed forward to MS28 post-13416, games play, getting a system update prompt..applying it now and will report back.

Edit2: Updated, probably the avatar support or something, all set and still un-banned, of course who knows what kind of flags are on the poor thing. Apparently the dash update just didn't flash my drive properly, never before seen that happen, ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.