RGH Posible fix for Falcon RGH 2 freezing problem

demonix

Noob Account
Mar 20, 2006
Sounds like more to do with your inability to follow the J-Runner manual than anything else, especially reading your previous post. You got mine to work because it only needed writing to your NAND as is.
I've fixed two freezing Falcons with CB 5773 with d**ko's smc_config.bin. Credit goes to him. But I have no luck with the CB 5774 ones. I have tried everything with it, alternative wiring, caps, resitors, several smc_config.bins, also Martin's config file, which is working but the console still freezing ingame. Has anyone had success with CB 5774 Falcons?

petrm79

Noob Account
Sep 6, 2012
i discovered one big problem for me when using patching smc_config
if console boot it work OK!
but glitch chip often stop glithcing after 5-10 blinking (if use original smc_config always boot but freeze)
some one have this issue

ps. CB 5774

Last edited:

Dicko316

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2010
North East/UK
i discovered one big problem for me when using patching smc_config
if console boot it work OK!
but glitch chip often stop glithcing after 5-10 blinking (if use original smc_config always boot but freeze)
some one have this issue

ps. CB 5774
Try keeping your original smc_config and manually patching the value of "Power Mode" in the advanced section of the SMC Config Editor in jrunner to 8480.

Reactions: petrm79

petrm79

Noob Account
Sep 6, 2012
d**ko316

i edit values
press save.. close window
open again and see original values (and created file with original values)
maybe hex editor?

understand j-runner make new file with changed values

Martin C
thnx
try

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
d**ko316

i edit values
press save.. close window
open again and see original values (and created file with original values)
maybe hex editor?

Martin C
thnx
try
If you used J-Runner, you would need to load the nanddump-edited.bin file created to see the changes.

petrm79

Noob Account
Sep 6, 2012
look like not Power Mode and Power VCS Control need to change or not only it
original with edited Power Mode and Power VCS Control - freeze
patched smc_config work ... but boot not good (not time, it about 2 from 10 starts successful)

try edit other values (from patched that work in original)

Last edited:

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Another success story here (thanks to d**ko316 !)

RGH2 Falcon stock values:

ANA Fuses 00
Power Mode 8480
Power VCS Control 8555

Symptoms: RAM temps went through the roof, games stuttering and crashing.

Changed to ANA Fuses 03, same deal.

Eventually went with

ANA Fuses 03
Power Mode 8280
Power VCS Control 8665

Result: Console now stable. FWIW I just used J-Runner's SMC edit function and then wrote the updflash_edited.bin to my console using NANDFlasher 360.

Dark_Riku

VIP Member
Mar 2, 2012
I also had a troublesome Falcon RGH2 (5774) that was giving me some trouble. I tried the SMC configs posted..none in which worked. Actually that's a lie. When d**ko sent me the No_Freeze SMC, it booted like once or twice with no freezing. But after that..constant glitches but not completing the boot cycle. It also only booted 2 times out of 10 with Shielded Wire (Grounded) but the same symptoms as you Martin, freezing and stuttering during boot up and when trying to play a game.

My stress at this point had gone through the roof... Eventually instead of inserting other SMC configs into my NAND. I manually edited them with J-Runner.

My ANA Fuse was already at 03 and Power VCS Control was already at 8555. So I couldn't see the problem. So I started to edit them one at a time starting with the Power mode, which I bumped up to the good ol' 8480, reflashed my NAND with the wonderful NAND-X and when it booted...there was no freeze anymore. It was just a case of tweaking the CPU_RST now. Since I had no luck with the shielded cable. I went with the Slim CPU_RST (50cm) out of the Slim wires and installed that..routed over the DVD drive and Fan shroud. Of course I had to do a criss-cross type route for the CPU_RST to get decent boot times (5 seconds to 1 minute usually) unfortunately I only have the older image of the wiring route..which also worked quite well..

quWdjOn.jpg

But yeah..other than that it worked fine.

For those wondering my CR3Lite settings were the following..

LK1 - Bridged
LK2 - Bridged
LK3+4 - Unbridged (of course)

S4 - 1 ON, the rest off
S2 - 1 ON, 5 ON and the rest off.

Hope that helps someone at least.

I would like to thank d**ko too. Couldn't have kept a clear mind without him.

Reactions: islam.jamel

elmorsy_pro

Noob Account
Oct 1, 2010
Values Ive seen, work are 8280 8380 8480, the last two had "POWER VCS CONTROL" values of 8555, but the 8280 one had a "POWER VCS CONTROL" value of 8665, try a few of those?
SO:
POWER MODE:pOWER VCS CONTROL
8280:8665
8380:8555
8480:8555
thanks a lot..
i try every thing in this thread but no luck..
but when i try "8280:8665" no freeze any more ;)

Maveriick

Noob Account
Dec 5, 2011
Romania
Does anyone know what are these values​​? What is their significance? What are the maximum and minimum values ​​for them?

VIP Member
Nov 14, 2010
Russia
Does anyone know what are these values​​? What is their significance? What are the maximum and minimum values ​​for them?
POWER MODE means how the CPU, GPU and RAM should be powered. Possible values: 8080, 8180, 8280, 8380 and 8480.
8380 is often used in Falcons, but sometimes other values could be used too. The best value for Falcon that freezes is 8180.
8080 is used in Jaspers, slim consoles have 8180 and 8280 values.

I don't know what is POWER VCS CONTROL, but it could affect incorrect work of cooling system after installing the RGH.
Possible values: 8555, 8565, 8665 and 8235. Falcons have mostly 8565 value, Jaspers have 8665 one.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Just as an FYI, one of our testers for R-JTAG used a Falcon which would freeze on RGH2. It doesn't freeze any more so the situation MAY be resolved with R-JTAG.

If someone would be nice enough to donate a Falcon board which freezes until you change SMC config values, I can confirm this....