Post Your Success Stories !

billflu

Sep 28, 2004
CT-MA
Ok, like many of you reading these forums, I am getting bored of hearing the same old install problems and hearing all these problems it makes me think that I'm going to mess up when I get around to installing my chip. Let's post success stories, so we can't see how many people didn't fail!

PeteVonMeat

Noob Account
Sep 27, 2004
Winchester, UK
Re: Success Stories!

I'm new to all this XBox stuff - I only just bought my XBox a couple of weeks ago in order to mod it. I fitted the X3 using the pin header the night before last and sorted the software on it last night. I haven't played around too much (briefly played Burnout3 and FSW and watched a film off my pc hd) but I can say that I haven't had any problems despite using beta bios. I was concerned about installing without an official install guide but the 2.6 guide shows the XBox side of the installation and this thread
http://www.teamxecuter.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17984
(cheers bigshooter13 and SniperKilla) was also very useful to me.

I say go for it :)

dignick

Jan 29, 2003

I had a few problems at first, but I knew thanks to all the anti-f**kup protection team x have put in to it I would eventually reach the light at the end of the tunnel, and I did. Works great now.

x0SiN0x

Sep 30, 2004
Behind U

billflu said:
Ok, like many of you reading these forums, I am getting bored of hearing the same old install problems and hearing all these problems it makes me think that I'm going to mess up when I get around to installing my chip. Let's post success stories, so we can't see how many people didn't fail!
I’m really beginning to feel that way too. But, I also feel that if I ask for help I will be bitched at for not using the SEARCH :oops:. I myself have, and the same as you – a lot of horror stories. With no real guide to look at (yes there is some guides, but not specifically for the 1.6) I’m lost and the more I read the more I don’t even want to put this thing in (arrives tomorrow) :cry:.

What would be helpful though is that if there is a success story, please post what you used as an aid to get this thing installed correctly (such as PeteVonMeat did, although confuses me more being the thread said not for the 1.6)

gavster

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
Northampton, UK

There is nothing at all to worry about as long as you spend a few hours reading trough the stickies.

You will notice that all the horror stories are from those who just try to get it installed but have no clue how it is meant to work.

If you look through the X3 forums you will find about half of the questions are answered either in the stickies or a couple of post down.

we are here to help you out but get p***ed off answering the same Q's over and over.

If everyone put a bit of effort in before they attemp to mod their xbox then their would not be a problem and the forum would be a happier place.

Gavster
8)

player1

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2002

Most disasters are caused by impatience .

Take your time with everything guys cos it doesnt matter if it takes you 15 minutes or four hours . Its the result that matters . :)

Totalled

I'm on both sides of the fence with this one.

The phsyical install is pretty easy with the guides around the place pretty much identical to the X2.6 if you have done one of them before.

The Bios flashing though was a little trickier than i was expecting due to the switch settings for the banks being hard to find. Found them eventually when i gave up on the CD flash and tried HTTP.

The bios itself is a breeze to use and is nice to look at. Am still playing so i know i'll come back with some questions myself soon.

On the switch side i have had one chip mysteriously blow. I am sure it must be a faulty chip, and just really bad luck as it was put in the same box as above to just flash it ready for another box to be done later this week. The first one worked fine and this one blew.

Advice
Dont touch a soldering iron until you have read up and have a list of book marks or files to refer to either on print outs or on screen.

Make sure you know what version board you got, where to get the files you will need after you have chipped, dash, bios apps. and you will make life a lot easier for yourselves.

Can i just also make a point i noticed from reading around, The use of people just being slammed for asking questions is getting real high. Yeah some questions may have been answered a million times before. But some of these guys will probably be doin it for the first time and have no idea where to look, what to ask, or what to do. A bit of support is a great help of confidence and hopefully they can pass on the knowledge learnt once they have done a succesful install.

mitpat

VIP Member
Aug 22, 2004

my x3 install was perfectly fine

no only problem i had was the ftp but thats fixed now

badassbiker900

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2004
South West UK

Totalled,

I agree with all you said in yr last 3 paragraph3.

I've modded my box twice, 1 with 2.3, and now with an X3.
I'm lucky, I went to engineering college and part of what i learned was to solder properly, both of my hardware installs went properly first time.
The software side of things is a different story, the first timers have a real hard time findin the bioses and dashes but the people that flame all the time.... HAVE A DAY OFF, if you cant say anything constructive then dont say anything, let the people with more patience have a go! It takes the same amount of effort to flame as it does to help, so back off and try helping instead of just hanging around waiting to give someone a hard time.

WOW, glad I got that out!!!

Cookiematic

Noob Account
Oct 5, 2004
Unknown

player1 said:
Most disasters are caused by impatience .

Take your time with everything guys cos it doesnt matter if it takes you 15 minutes or four hours . Its the result that matters . :)
or sometimes by a faulty reset/eject pcb =P
but then again, if you manage to chip your xbox for the first time after all the trouble, its worth it

LostKoRn

Sep 24, 2004
UK

Ok my install was a lil bumpy but that was through my own faults as in thinking that you didnt have to solder the d0 wire for it to work :lol:

Other than that NO PROBLEMS AT ALL :)

I have now restored my xbox which i blew the original hardrive on and just as i was about to throw it away, i decided to order the x3 and give it a try. Within about 1 minute after installing it, i got my xbox working fine again :D

Thanxs sooooo much Team Xecuter, Mr.Modchips and Hoboz - (For helping me with the d0 point)

HoBoZ

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2004
USA
bc-tz.com

No problem LostKoRn

Morty25

Dec 10, 2003

Ok just got the chip today...soldered it...used regular video cables instead of my hdtv cables...flashied with x3 build 1859 and working great...except for hdtv settings I am doing fine.

-------
X3 v1859
v1.4 Halo Edition
160 Gig Maxtor Drive
Samsung DVD Drive

:D

Multidash

Noob Account
Oct 6, 2004
Austin

First attempt at modding an Xbox. Installed my X3 on my 1.6 Xbox no problems. I'm going to go back and reread more about flashing the bios and whatnot before I attempt that, but the chip boots between the default flash bios and the ms dashboard beautifully.

bubu

Aug 26, 2004
UK

this was my first time installing a modchip on an xbox i've done quite alot of research so i didnt have any problems and i have some experience in soldering so it wasn't a problem, just that something wrong with my box i cant do IGR:( but everything else is working great :D

halomaster7777

VIP Member
May 23, 2004

I had a rough set up, first it took me about 2 hours to desolder the LPC port, after i couldn't two of them out. So i thought to my self maybe i can punch a hole in the remaining solder. So i went downstairs and got a baby pin, yes a baby pin. I then preceded to lightly tap the baby pin with the rubber end of my torx driver. Eventually i made a good enough hole and put in the pin adapter, everything else went well, but when i turned on my box it restated twice then stayed on. So i figured it was my soldering, i went back in and saw that one of the pins had slide down to far and was not connecting with my X3. So i decided skrew this im going with the wire install. I took all the pins out and installed the wires and the rest. Turned on my box and YAY it worked

HoBoZ

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2004
USA
bc-tz.com

Got mine in today, It took me about an hour from start to finish (incl. flash)
It was a piece of cake, no problems with the soldering thanks to the great guide by Team Xecuter. One thing I did have to do is to rename the X3ConfigLiveBios_Build1835_1mb.bin to BIOS.BIN ( all caps ) bdfore it would flash.

Thanks TeamX for a great chip and guide, can't wait to see what this puppy will do.