Post Your Success Stories !

Sharkykzn

Noob Account
May 4, 2006
Thanxs for a good product and support. New to this Console thing, been a PC gamer for years. But that background helped - Years of PC building and repairs. First attempt 100% success. Even flashed BIOS with Verbatim DVD+R disc, which the Samsung drives reads no problem. Will be tweaking the Xbox more and more.

BeaverBoy

Noob Account
May 3, 2006
Some suggestions:

In addition to the soldering iron, braid and tape recommended for installation, I would add two things:

- a toothbrush
- PCB cleaner

I suffered enormously trying to troubleshoot my intermittent XBox. Before I finally got everything working just right, I had to de-soldered and re-soldered the mod-chip three times (not recommended.)

Sometimes my XBox would run without problems for 5 minutes and sometimes 3 hours without problems, then it would report an overheat and I would have to physically unplug the XBox from the outlet for two or three hours before using it again.

After the first and second installs I thoroughly checked everything and it was good. What I missed was something inocuous: A cat hair on the tape I used to secure and direct the HDD/LAN/D0 wires on the underside of the M/B. Although solder flux is NOT conductive, I can only assume that when the XBox was warmed to a certain temperature, it flowed over the cat hair and caused a the conductive capacity of the cat hair to change ever so slightly. Enough that my XBox was getting the CPU overheat error.

Anyhow, before I found this, I scrubbed the XBox M/B down with PCB cleaner then took a magnifying glass to all my solder work. It looked good, so I took my meter to check continuity, it too was good. It was then that I checked ever modification, saw the hair on the tape and thought "...couldn't be....", but removed it anyway. Since then, the XBox has not had a problem.

I guess the moral of my story is: If your M/B aint clean, it should be. Otherwise you can't rule out solder work. Once you've done that, check all the little 'micro-mods' (ie re-directing wires around solder joints, caps, screw posts, et al,) that you did for foreign objects.

Oh, and check for proper solder flow. Is the solder a blob, or has it streamed onto the LPC connector and pads cleanly and solidly? (cleaning the PCB with solvent and an toothbrush will clean everything up making a visual inspection waaaayyyy easier.)

Ciao.

gator70

Noob Account
May 27, 2006
Well after much cussing and taking the box apart three or four times, finally got my Xapt3r, X3CE and X3CP w/LCD all working cohesively. Started out easy enough, removed the spiderchip that I had previously installed. Sunk the screwpost and mounted the Xapt3r on it and then tightened down the locking cap. Plugged the box in to check it and it was all good.

I then decided to tackle the X3CP next, took a lot longer than 5 minutes but it seemed to work, unfortunately I had to shave the retaining tab down so that the power/eject controls would operate propery (basically the power button wouldn't budge).

So then the fun really started. Mounted the X3CE, plugged in the box and it starts up 3X quickly and then frags. Push down on the chip, boots fine. Well I figure it's just a poor connection and I would just use something to hold it down. So I flash the bios and everything seems to work great. I take and Dremel a pencil eraser end off and use some two-sided tape to place on top of chip. Put the drives in, fire up box works. Put top on, fire off box, again it works.

Well this morning I was messing with the box (dvd tray wouldn't eject) and the chip stopped working. Great, take it apart and find the pencil had moved. Put back in place and assemble again. Stops working again.

So remembering the Xapt3r had come with some little brass ferrels, I decided to install those in the LPC holes. Installed, remounted Xapt3r and X3CE. Bam! Works like a charm. Assemble the drives and all is working now.

I also purchased the X3IR, but decided against soldering on my board just yet. May do that the next holiday weekend I have.

TeddyN

Noob Account
May 30, 2006
I just modded my Xbox about 2 months ago. I opened up my v1.0 xbox and saw that the spot where my X3 modchip was supposed to go was filled in with solder so i called in my uncle to come help me. After we got the solder out, we attempted to install the Xapter and the X3 in the ports. The Xapter screw was the wrong size, so we had to get a drill and modify it. Once the chip was in, it took me awhile to find my X3 bios, but I found it and flashed it via HTTP. After that, I set up my bios settings and FTP'd Avalaunch. It took me forever to figure everything out, but in the end I was successful at getting my Xbox modded. Now all I need is a bigger hard drive!

Teddy

mrporky

Noob Account
May 24, 2006
After wrestling with the xapt3r in my 1.0 xbox I decided to go for a pinheader install. The xapt3r would work for a while, then stop. If I nudged it it would start working again, but at most for a few hours. I just couldent get the xapter3r to fit right, as it seems in a 1.0 box the onboard flash chip gets in the way.

Anyway, that soldering video was a godsend! I'd seen desoldering braid before, but didn't understand how well it worked until I saw it in action. (I did desolder the holes before installing the xapter, but it did not seem to make much of a difference :/)

I practiced my technique on an old broken network card and did about 20 practice solders untill I could get could easily get a wire on to a surface mount point like the D0. Also tried it out on pins that looked simliar in size to the lan/hdd points

The pin header was easy enough but it was worth practicing for the network/lan and most importantly the D0 point. After the pinheader and wires were installed everyhing now works perfectly! Booted up first time and has worked perfectly since.

Mickey Juice

Noob Account
Jun 26, 2006
I installed two X3CE chips last night with the pin header method.
Was a piece of cake :D
Soldering part was simple and quick, then flashing etc was just as easy!

Red Frog

May 21, 2006
Add another one to the pile.

After some frustration earlier today as to why the mod appeared to be working perfectly aside from fragging with the chip enabled, I remembered that it had a v1.0 BIOS still loaded. After flashing it with the v1.6 BIOS the chip has been working perfectly. I managed to load all my game saves and music (which is why I bought the chip in the first place) I backed up right before my original Xbox's hard drive developed a permanent death tick.

I was having some difficulty getting on Live but I found some information which suggested trying Enigmah's NTSC PAL switcher since my hex connection information had some specific code. Wasn't really sure what I was doing and flipped it from NTSC/PAL a few times, found no other controller buttons that really did anything, so then rebooted and have been on Live since.

Xecuter Rox My Box!

Now I just need to get that Xbox extension kit. I already have a Xtender, but I really don't like it's installation and I'm sure I messed up my original Xbox's MB slightly trying to install it. Not that I'm blaming them, it's just my soldering skills. I'm comfortable with a pinheader rebuild but those teeny tiny soldering points on the MB aren't my forte. So now I'm going to get one of those 5 drive extenders with the knob on the front.

Anyway, thanks to DJBOOBY who helped me get the chip running enough on my old Xbox to backup my saves. Also thanks to CaNsA in the Xbins help channel for bearing with some of my noob questions.

Withinside

Nov 3, 2004
Canada
withinside.piczo.com
My first mod install was a matrix on my 1.0 box, lil tricky to get aligned right, and worse it came loose all the time. I got and X3 had a lil trouble with the solder filled LPC. Workt great after getting the pin header in, and having to retouch the D0. As for the matrix I sold it to a friend who had me install it into his Fable Crystal 1.6(b) box. Which needed a tracecut and an LPCrebuild I also had to castrate the matrix by removing its G-spot pogo. Then I soldered the solderless matrix to the LPC, after flashing it with M8 bios. Workt perfect first time it powered on. Then his girlfriend threw it down a hallway. The X3 just isnt complete without the X3CP w/ LCD. Getting the wires neat is a lil tricky. And some cases/control panels dont exactly conform to spec. so achieving a nice form fit might require some modifications. Now I just got the X3IR. The install guide isnt exactly specific as to what you supposed to solder the wireharness to. Is there some other place you can solder it to other then the mainboard power connector? All in doing your own mods is quite a rewarding experience. A little bit of research goes A LONG WAY. And if happen to grace the eyes of a kind soul with your troubled thread, things go alot smoother. Just remember nothing is impossible. Anything you can concieve, you CAN achieve. Congrats to all the successful modders in the world. An to those unsuccessful, you now what they say. If at first you dont succeed, try, try again. Anyone can quit, but can you struggle?

-=DragoN=-

Noob Account
Jul 21, 2006
I havent soldered in probably 10+ years. I had someone come over and solder the Xecuter 3 CE last week. The LEDS were shining bright on the baby but it would boot to the regular Xbox dashboard. I finally gave a shot of the soldering thing after reading alot of tutorials here. I came to a conclusion that it had to be the soldering. I will admit that I am glad all those solder points are on the bottom side of the mobo, the chip is flying now though!

I did purchase a X3 Control Panel as well. The LCD screen is kinda weak but I will deal with that another day.

Great forum you all have here! I cant express how people should READ, READ, READ!!! Thanks!

ravenpanic

Noob Account
Jul 27, 2006
I got my x3 ce couple weeks ago and i just got around to putting it in last weekend i did a pin header install it wworks likea dream and i intsalled a 250 gig maxtor drive. and loaded it with avaluanch and i've ripped all my games and few of my friend's to it. and it awesome.

baconboy169

Noob Account
Jul 14, 2006
I'm way more limited than your typical newb.With very limited computer knowledge I did a solder mod with an xecuter 3ce on a v 1.0 xbox.I started reading and reading on July 26,2006,never once asked a dumb question and today Aug.6,2006 it is totally networked.The people on this website give the most exacting instruction and if I can do it anybody can. Oh, did i mention I'm a 48 year old dude who is now a hero to his 13 year old daughter!!!!!

tedtheodorelogan

Jun 12, 2006
in the basement
I finaly got my xbox working I got the chip installed easily
but I really suck at installing the software but I got a lot of help thrugh it but if it were'nt for the forums I wouldn't have

b0y

Aug 4, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Okay did some research before buying anything. Was positive on how to do it. Package arrived in the mail. Opened xbox installed Xecuter 3 ce and 120 gig HDD. I'm loving the results. Good job Team Xecuter. Best modchip around.

-b0y

DSP172

Jul 26, 2006
ny
I installed my X3 CE on a 1.6 box...not too had with a couple tutorials found onthis site. took about 30-45 minutes, the soldering at first seemed easy looking at it online, then when you get everything you realize how small it actually is...but its really not that hard, i have soldered before so maybe thats why, but everything was simple and straight forward...the only part that gave me trouble was feeding the wires outside the box through a vent hole...but if that was my only problem them i think it went well...everything worked good, flashed a new bios onto it with no problem!

just be patient and everything will go fine

tfdog

May 23, 2006
Just backed up, upgraded and restored my hard disk using X3CL - too easy. Thanks to everyone who posted the details on how to do this. There really is nothing to it!

MojoMarine

Jun 11, 2006
Michigan
Mission accomplished! After having to resolder the pin header and adding a little spray "sticky" adhesive to the DO/LAN/HDD Connector so it stayed retained into the X3 chip socket, I finally acheived a stable X3 install. I have 15 of my son's games loaded into the HDD. Whooaaahhh! The old XBOX has a new life!

kpavery

Noob Account
Mar 23, 2006
I got mine to install relatively easily after I realized the bios I had downloaded was a few kilobytes over 1 meg. It was weird and took me a while to figure it out, but I did in the end. I am now loving the X3 (because of the fact it has a 2mb bank setting also)!

I run it with the stock hard drive and I am still able to do all kind of cool stuff including showing off my Halo 2 mods to my friends when they come over to use my box. Thanks Team X!

Keremeny

Jul 19, 2006
My old xbox broke after a failed soft-mod attempt - but thanks to the X3CE + a new 120gb hard drive, it breathes again! loving all the settings, used the xapt3r 1.6 for my 1.6 box and got it working fully yesterday - only one issue, i cant boot to config live holding down the white button, nor can i boot to the flashbios using power button + eject button boot technique - so im a little stuck, and i need to reflash my chip... i know it may be the wrong thread but... any suggestions..?

Keremeny

Jul 19, 2006
Sorry i cant edit the above post but i fixed it, i forgot to install the external switch and the power/eject switch... =$ hehe go the noob... all good now!

Evil PopTart

Noob Account
Aug 12, 2006
first time ever opening an xbox up and first time ever thinkin bout modding one but i did in bout 20 min or so fully flashed and networked to my pc. i guess it helped a lil since i work at a place where all i do is solder curcuit board and assemble all the parts :D but all in all this place has great support and the instructions are very clear and idiot proof:cool: