prevent "e" fuse blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK
As some of you may know, when you update your console it blows an "e fuse" on the cpu die, this can not be recovered, this is why the new jtag hack won't work on newer consoles (basically).
Once you have updated you console to the latest "hacked" dash to keep it that way you need to stop m$ sending you an update via a game, game save or update if you swap hard drives. to prevent this the first way was to remove a timy resistor on the bottom of the cpu, not to bad to remove but a pain to resolder, the newer way is to bridge two points with solder.

the red box and writing shows the old method, the orange box and writing show the newer easier method, also if you for any reason in the future you need to upgrade it is much easier to remove a blob of solder.

The new boards are slightly different.

you'll notice the two point are occupied so note we use the two on the left of the original two.

hope this stops some folks blowing fuses and loosing home brew functionality.

thanks to blackaddr over at xbh for the info and diagrams.

Ted

Last edited:

[AD]

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Dec 8, 2002
Bolton, Lancs. UK
So can you not do a dash update when these points are bridged?

-=AD=-

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK
you can update via a nand flash such as xbr, but it won't blow the efuse if ms ever put a game update stealthy, so still can be exploitable.

As I understand at present, because the e fuses are now virtual/emulated via xbr if it does update it blows one of these virtual ones and once you switch power cycle, it restores them to how they were. but best be safe than sorry.

if you wanted you could put a switch between the points and switch it, if the occasion ever arose.

Ted

CaptainX

Noob Account
Jan 22, 2010
I have a Zephyr board and soldered the 2 points shown in the picture. Now I just get E79 every time I turn on the console. Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

CaptainX

Noob Account
Jan 22, 2010
I had it working perfectly fine before I soldered the bridge. It would occasionally give me the error before, but after turning it off and back on it would work.

I removed the bridge though and it still only gives me an E79 error.

I glued all of the Jtag connections down so they shouldn't come loose.

big_ted

VIP Member
Dec 31, 2003
Midlands UK
I had the same with a zephyr my brothers to be exact, had to reflash it, does xell boot on it ?? I could boot xell and then flash it using linux again, works fine for a day or two and then the same happens e79 reflash and it's ok, must be some nand corrouption.

Ted

jorgesalas831

VIP Member
Aug 2, 2010
California
well done very helpful post you have done it agian

V1x0r

Noob Account
Dec 17, 2010
US
royd.orgfree.com
soooo....I know it's common to remove the fuse from the bottom of the mobo to prevent an e-fuse's from blowing...I think it's called a fuse (the little brown connections all over the botom of the mobo. well...i accidentally disconnected one of them and now i'm getting a 0021 error. I tried to solder it back on but it still gives me this error. it's the C3P3 connection. any tips?

Can I connect the two sides without this adapter? or do I have to add a transistor between the two? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much guys!!

nicke20

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2011
NW Uk
It appears that the pictures of where to bridge have gone, anybody got links for xenon and falcon boards?

jfelding

VIP Member
Feb 9, 2010
Denmark
It appears that the pictures of where to bridge have gone, anybody got links for xenon and falcon boards?
Good thing you searched, but cant you try google as well? There's no need to revive this thread.

nicke20

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2011
NW Uk
Good thing you searched, but cant you try google as well? There's no need to revive this thread.
I was going to say that this tutorial was only 2 weeks old
how embarrased am i, living in the past!
still if its un needed it should be deleted as it does talk about the pics, ill hunt google then, from past experience i tend to trust the advice i get here more than some random advice from other sites :D

incase any body else is looking its here

Last edited:

umpa2011

Apr 28, 2011
England
is tbs still currently relevant, should these steps still be taken as a precaution?

ya i knowold thread but no pint in making a new 1 right?
Yes as far as I know this thread is still valid, so I'm not sure what jfelding is talking about, I have another Jtag that I need to do this on, and am looking for the pictures. Sure we can all google - but thats not the issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.