Probe V3 + Powering by console

siewsphone

Noob Account
Mar 28, 2011
Hi,

Just want to know this before I make an order.

Can I just get the probe v3 only and power the dvd-rom with console?

I'm not going to play game online, so is it sufficient enough to flash in this way?

Thanks advance

cesar_juanv

Noob Account
Dec 4, 2011
Hi XBOX4LIFE.

Why you don't advice to use the Xbox as power source for the drive? Is it because the Xbox can turn off during the process of flashing the drive? If so, isn't it possible to avoid this by having the Xbox connected to the TV? Please help as I'm trying to re-flash my LiteOn, but trying to safe money too.

Thanks.

WestCoastConsoles

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2010
Portland, OR
Because you need to power cycle the drive and unplugging and plugging the DVD drive power can cause damage had a client who used the box recently and it sparked when he did this a fried the heck out of the motherboard. Not to mention they bent a bunch of pins in the process.

cesar_juanv

Noob Account
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks XxLittleTxX.

The button in the cable that comes with the Probe 3, doesn't it resolve the problem of turning the drive on and off making the process easier and safer? Even if you have the CK3i, you still have to turn the drive on and off so I don't understand how using it is better. Sorry, but I'm new to this.

Thanks.

Cartel530

Aug 2, 2011
the button is only to power off and on the probe.. the probe is on the end where the drive is connected so you still need something on the other end to supply the power.. also some people say that it can lead to a flag for a ban because it can detect that you dont have power but no drive in so its being tampered with im not sure how true it is but why risk something simple.

WestCoastConsoles

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2010
Portland, OR
the ck3i/pro/lite are designed to safely power on/off the drive to avoid said issue. The power on the probe 3 cable only cuts the 3.3v power grounding out the probe on mpx01.

flicking a switch is much easier than slamming the drive cable out and in within a second. You will not be dissapointed. The ck3i is decently priced and just the tits. You could also get the ck3 mini its 14.95 in the us and will do the job just fine.