Los Angeles
programming the 2.6CE with the 2.6 Programmer - tutorial

Heres what you need:

1= xecuter 2.6CE
2= external switch
3= external switch cable
4= 2.6 programmer
5= usb cable

NOTE: all of these are supplied when you purchase a 2.6CE & 2.6 programmer.

STEP 1:
Plug programmer (item 4) into parallel port.
STEP 2:
Plug USB cable(item 5) into computer USB port.

You should all three lights ON as shown in figure 1:

FIGURE 1

If you do not, then go into control panel/system/device manager/ports/printer ports/properties and make it look like figure 2:

FIGURE 2

STEP 3: Unplug USB cable.

STEP 4: Plug white end of external switch cable (item 3) into xecuter chip (item 1) Make it look like figure 4.

Figure 3: BAD CABLE INSTALLATION (ABOVE)

Figure 4: Good Cable Installation

STEP 5: Plug black end of external switch cable (item 3) into external switch (item 2). Make it look like figure 6.

Figure 5: BAD CABLE INSTALLATION (above)

Figure 6: GOOD cable installation Note the pins are all in-line with another.

STEP 6: Move switches to as shown in figure 7.

Figure 7

... too many images... another post..

swage

Dec 28, 2004
Los Angeles
continued...
STEP 7: Plug xecuter 2.6 (item1) into programmer as shown in figure 8.

figure 8

STEP 8: Plug in USB cable into computer usb port. your xecuter should look like figure 9. top two leds are on.

figure 9

STEP 9: Run x2 bios manager. Click the info button, you should see figure 10

Figure 10

STEP 10: Click on the first bank, and open flashbios 3.03.

STEP 11: Click on the third bank, and open M8plus_16.bin. (M8plus16.bin for xbox 1.6 or 1.6b)
It should look like figure 11.

figure 11

STEP 12: Click the flash button.... It should look like figure 12, when flashing

figure 12.

thats it, should be flashed now...

Dreamreaper

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2004
Not on this planet!
Well done M8, I was in the process of doing something similar, that is when the Vodka redbulls wear off :D , one small point, if you are going to flash a 1 meg BIN file in i.e. 4x256 of same bios ENSURE the bank select is set to position 2 as it will fail 100% on the first pass.

swage

Dec 28, 2004
Los Angeles
dreamreaper,
I just flashed another 2.6CE, as described above, with switch positions the same as above, with M8plus_16.bin in all banks (4x256k), and it boots fine...

I double checked the above configuration again, I mean flashing with flashbios 303 in the first 512k, then m8plus_16.bin in the next 512k, switches as shown above. Worked great.

Dreamreaper

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2004
Not on this planet!
You are 100% correct m8, as it can be said light shines on marble head! Turned out to be the switch bank faulty, I have retried with a new bank and it works fine, wiered thing is chip lights up fine every thing looks peachy till you boot on a box and bam the begger frags, 3x multi reboots with chip enabled, yet it flashe fine if bankk 2 is selected, how mad is that!

SoSirius

Noob Account
Feb 7, 2005
I didnt buy the programmer and cable because i wasnt going to install the chip myself...does it matter what programmer and cable you use? or does the cable and programmer must be the one from the xecuter team?

Kaijin

Noob Account
Dec 21, 2003
I have an xecuter 2.6CE and the programmer. i tryed to flash the chip, but i can't get Xecuter2 BIOS Manager to recognize the programmer/chip connected. When looking to this post, 1 thing i can't get to happen......when i connect the programmer (without the chip connected) to the computer only the red and green light are on. the blue light never turns on. i've tryed to change the settings in device manager and still nothing. At 1st i had my printer port as ECC/EPP. I thought it could be this....i went to the bios and changed the port setting to normal. Even after this the programmer don't turn on the 3 lights, only the red and green. I even unistalled the port from windows, but always the same....only 2 lights on. 1 thing i noticed is that when the computer is booting (for example when i went to the bios configuration, no windows xp loaded) the 3 lights were on. In the middle of the windows xp boot the blue light goes off and never comes on again. When i have Xecuter2 BIOS Manager on and i'm trying to see if the soft recognizes the hardware i noticed that the blue light blinks very fast. What could be wrong?........this is the only way i have to flash the chip, cause i had a bad flash when the chip was connected to the xbox. I hope somebody has an ideia of what could be wrong. Thanks

Doh2005

Noob Account
Feb 22, 2005
So, instead of flashing with a disc or something, or via http, you can do it with this?

But instead put say FlashBios 3.03 into banks 1 and 2 and the other bios into 3 adn 4? And it will work?

yboxer

Noob Account
Mar 3, 2005
Programmer getting error on x2.6

I followed the tutorial. Compiled the bios and clicked "flash." Roughly at about 53% completion, I get an error about syncing. It suggested that the problem usually is due to bad parallel cable. Thing is, I did not use any cable. I plug the programmer directly into my parallel port and the usb to my usb port. Really strange. Can anyone help? I have an X2.6.

zilvia240

Feb 8, 2005
i had the same problem. i switched to bank 2 and it flashed fine.

Why did they not just make it a USB device, its a slow 12minute flash for me. Also another thing is when i put the flashbios on a x2.6 isnt there only 2 banks = 512k? when i put the bios/flashbios it uses all 4 banks. Does it automatically configure when it is connected?

ThaCrip

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2004
USA
SoSirius said:
I didnt buy the programmer and cable because i wasnt going to install the chip myself...does it matter what programmer and cable you use? or does the cable and programmer must be the one from the xecuter team?
well obviously u gotta use the xecuter programmer on xecuter modchips ;) ... as for the cable it dont matter to much... it's recommended to use a 3ft cable ... but i have a 6ft cable for my Xecuter 2.3B PRO and it works perfectly... it writes, reads and verify's fine ;) ... but from what i "heard" u cant go past 6ft cable or u supposedly will have problems.

i got my cable from www.system-mods.com ... here is a direct link... http://shop.system-mods.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=97 ... it was $10.50 out the door for me ;)

but then again u can most likely just plug the programmer directly into the printer port on the back of your pc (like he shows in his tutorials in the above pics) ... so u might not even need the cable i linked above.

good luck ;)

Last edited:

raven_5x

Nov 6, 2004
Houston
Kaijin said:
I have an xecuter 2.6CE and the programmer. i tryed to flash the chip, but i can't get Xecuter2 BIOS Manager to recognize the programmer/chip connected. When looking to this post, 1 thing i can't get to happen......when i connect the programmer (without the chip connected) to the computer only the red and green light are on. the blue light never turns on. i've tryed to change the settings in device manager and still nothing. At 1st i had my printer port as ECC/EPP. I thought it could be this....i went to the bios and changed the port setting to normal. Even after this the programmer don't turn on the 3 lights, only the red and green. I even unistalled the port from windows, but always the same....only 2 lights on. 1 thing i noticed is that when the computer is booting (for example when i went to the bios configuration, no windows xp loaded) the 3 lights were on. In the middle of the windows xp boot the blue light goes off and never comes on again. When i have Xecuter2 BIOS Manager on and i'm trying to see if the soft recognizes the hardware i noticed that the blue light blinks very fast. What could be wrong?........this is the only way i have to flash the chip, cause i had a bad flash when the chip was connected to the xbox. I hope somebody has an ideia of what could be wrong. Thanks
I have this exact same problem... Does anyone know how it can be fixed??? I'm still stuck.

Dreamreaper

VIP Member
Dec 30, 2004
Not on this planet!
You got the switch banks plugged in with flash protect OFF? I noticed some switch positions are reversed, i.e. it states OFF when it is ON and Visa Versa. I think there is a difference between white switch and black switch, that was in my case some time ago......

raven_5x

Nov 6, 2004
Houston
hmm, ill try that out...

raven_5x

Nov 6, 2004
Houston
Too bad there's no troubleshooting guide for the X2/2.6 programmer.... -_-