Question about POT Tweak when resistance is in the 7+

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
Good day,

My 360 was in storage for a few years and wouldn't read disc so I clean the eye, which didn't do anything so I decided to do the POT tweak. (Took me a minute to figure out how to take off the Blaster CK3)

The original POT reading was 7.31 so I lowered it to 7.29 and it worked fine for a few hours, then while playing game froze and screen went black. Do I need to keep adjusting 0.02 at a time as I read that the average was between 3-6.5 I believe. Am I safe to just lower it to 6.5? It's a pain to keep taking this thing apart.

Thanks in advance,
Sly

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
As long as you are in the safe range you should be good, but it sounds to me like it needs a new laser assembly all together, if you want if fixed correctly.

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
I think you are right. I am now at 5.8 and still nothing. My drive is a DG-16D2S and I've read that I can't use the 16D4S lasers. Do you know where some good sources are to get a replacement laser? I've also heard that I can use a BenQ laser, do you know what model I can use?

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
Also curious: Would the laser from the Lite-On drive used to make back ups of our games work as a replacement?

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
I take that pot tweet down to 3 + with that board even 3 as log it is not in negative. done a lot of them. if all that adjustment don't work need to be replace

Last edited:

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
I take that pot tweet down to 3 + with that board even 3 as log it is not in negative. done a lot of them. if all that adjustment don't work need to be replace
I brought it down to 3.4 with no luck. Even with no disk in the tray it says "Reading". Lasers are already ordered from ebay... now it's time to wait for the slow boat from china.

Last edited:

rick48235

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
MICH
good luck don't forget to remove the solder ball they have on it. and hope you get some good ones too. also is your game disc clean and you have played them before

Last edited:
Reactions: iamsly

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
I know the BenQ and 16d2s can have the lasers swapped between them, as I have done it. It has been a while since I installed LTU in a slim xbox, but if I remember correctly, when doing the 16d2s board swap, you had to swap the laser as well, because the cable connections were different.

Reactions: iamsly

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
good luck don't forget to remove the solder ball they have on it. and hope you get some good ones too. also is your game disc clean and you have played them before
I don't believe it's the game disc. The new laser came in and I installed it. Tested it out and worked fine t'ill I put everything back together. Now it doesn't work. Noticed that it took the 360 longer to load when I have issues with the laser.

Before installing the new lasers POT was at 3.39 so I turned it up to 3.7 just so I was above 3.5.

Maybe it's just time to retire the 360 lol

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Why would you do a POT tweak before the install? You should always try it as-is when you open the box. It is likely going to be fine as it has already been calibrated as part of the manufacturing process.

Reactions: rick48235

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
Why would you do a POT tweak before the install? You should always try it as-is when you open the box. It is likely going to be fine as it has already been calibrated as part of the manufacturing process.
Thanks game_over I didn't know this. I just remembered reading that 3.5 was the lowest it should go during a POT tweak so I was worried about this. Do you think going from 3.39 to 3.70 would make that much of a difference?

I've got another laser I can install and won't bother adjusting the POT. Thanks again.

iamsly

Noob Account
Aug 14, 2013
I brought the POT resistance back down to 3.39 and it works. Thanks for the help! Let's hope it last as I'm getting tired of taking the 360 apart. Cheers!

Reactions: Game_Over