Question about USB HDD usage

18Phoenix

Sep 25, 2018
Hello,
I use SX OS 2.3 beta with an external USB3 HDD (exFAT) on my 6.1.0 Switch.
What's the best way to handle it so that unnecessary data loss and continuous operation is avoided?
When the hard disk is connected, the power light will be lit steadily. So there is continuous power.
Is that safe for the HDD? I suspect it's not good.
Is there a way to set the HDD with a PC so that it turns off after a certain period of non-use or goes into standby?
On the other hand, I do not want to embarrass the USB port on the switch by constantly putting it off an on.
Nice way, my drive (Seagate) works very well without Y-cable.
I thought of a veeeeeeery short USB extension to conserve the direct connection (short as possible because of voltage drop).
The SWITCH turned off certainly does not communicate with the HDD, removing should be safe. (Unfortunately, no safe removal is possible.)
Recently I thought about buying a USB switch with which you can turn the connection on and off by pressing a button.
I suspect, however, that this is the same as removing it.

What do you think?

Another thing that I noticed:
If the switch goes into sleep mode, then the HDD turn off, but only for a short time because it gets power again.
Sometime the HDD getting power again leads to Switch going on again. Because the rest power gives a signal to the Switch?
Anyway not good. Would be nice to be able to stop power for USB ports optional.

Last edited:

Lolo77240

Noob Account
Aug 10, 2019
France
Hello, I noticed exactly the same prb. I use a DD only since a few week.
My dd does a little noise regularly as if it runs, stops and re runs again. So as you do I prefer to disconect the DD, indeed it's an old one (already used for my WII) and I don't want to break it.
It should be great to fix this prb because it used un necessary the DD all the day.... and night
Regards

imprezgc8

Majora's Mask
Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Top Poster Of Month
Nov 26, 2007
The Cloud
It's just the way the Switch handles USB devices. They were not really intended to read data from a HDD. Just make sure you do not have a game running and then undock it and that should "help" with data loss. Nothing is guaranteed though.

Reactions: Lolo77240

Dymblos

Jun 11, 2013
I have a question about the HDD
i remember the last ver. of sx os i install was 5.something.. lot of month ago.. at that time the there was no compatibility for HDD.. but looks like now you can use

best way to be safe is with a Y cable?, right, because I have one from my WiiU
Also, what is the max capacity that the SX OS/Switch support?-- I can get any TB external HDD