ANSWERED question about xbox 360 case mod

supersymm3try

Feb 11, 2010
Newcastle Like!
hi all

I hope this isn't too much of a pointless question!

I'm modding my 360 case today (cutting a shape out and backlighting with LEDs if anyone's interested) and I wonder if I chop out the design from the case, will the xbox suffer if I don't block the hole off with clear plastic?
I'm just wondering if having the insides open to the world carries a significant risk of dust/particle damage etc?

Thanks in advance

DanTechMods

Mar 26, 2011
Nova Scotia
Putting glass in it will save you a major headache. If it's open there always the chance something may get in it and short it. Plus the glass will help diffuse the light and if it's fogged glass it can make some mods look really cool. My friends kid dropped a spoon in his (no glass on in) and fried it. Plexiglass is real cheap.

keil423

VIP Member
It will run you about $2 for a chunk of plexy so just save yourself the headach and get some.
Alot of people that have sh*tty xboxs that overheat or just run hot will take their covers off all together to allow it to breath more. Me I have a 4 year old son so that just sounds like a bad idea to me!

reefz3ro

VIP Member
May 30, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I have to agree with evry1 don't leave it open just asking for problems. Plus i think it looks better with plexy in it, whether its clear or frosted!

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
Yep I agree too. Leaving it open will interfere with the air flow that the system was designed for.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

coolkiddj12

VIP Member
Jun 12, 2011
Dont leave it open, i created a case mod before, and trust me, you need pexi glass ;)

ochbay

Dec 23, 2011
plexiglass is very cheap online and its worth it versus the red ring. my first box case i modded i just had an open vent and it messed up the airflow i think the air was going through the tops of the heatsink instead of actually going THROUGH the whole heat sink long story short it didnt last long.

supersymm3try

Feb 11, 2010
Newcastle Like!
Thanks for all your replies, I actually have some plexiglass lying around to use just going to be a bit of a hassle fitting it in.

Again this is prob really obvious but if I leave the thin metal plate thing out but put the plexi in will that be fine?
Just because I don't think I can fit LEDs, metal and plexi in there.

supersymm3try

Feb 11, 2010
Newcastle Like!
yeah i thought so thanks for clarifying

Im kinda regretting doing it so far, but only because i havent started painting it so it all seems messy at the mo.

It was quite a while back when I modded my other box, so i'd forgotten how much effort is required to do it well!
Put back together for today to game while I recoup my creative energy for now! hehe

furiouswayne

Feb 2, 2011
I have just started one myself, its the filing down after the shape is cut out the is getting on my nerves. Hey it will be worth it in the end

supersymm3try

Feb 11, 2010
Newcastle Like!
Yeah man thats exactly what takes so much time!

I underestimated how thick the plastic is!

I was also annoyed that instead of cutting through it like butter, my dremel just seemed to melt the plastic, which then hardened in balls.

I ended up using the kind of grinder attatchment then spent 8 hours+ filing it down

Out of interest what design did you decide on?

Indestructable

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2011
Gateshead Uk
hi all

I hope this isn't too much of a pointless question!

I'm modding my 360 case today (cutting a shape out and backlighting with LEDs if anyone's interested) and I wonder if I chop out the design from the case, will the xbox suffer if I don't block the hole off with clear plastic?
I'm just wondering if having the insides open to the world carries a significant risk of dust/particle damage etc?

Thanks in advance
i have about a metre square if you want it:biggrin:FREE to good home

furiouswayne

Feb 2, 2011
I actually went for my gamertag as it is for my proper console(non-modded). I will post up some pics when i have finished the filing.

What did you end up doing?

supersymm3try

Feb 11, 2010
Newcastle Like!
i have about a metre square if you want it:biggrin:FREE to good home
I actually already have some I bought a while ago, but thank you kindly for the offer :D

Well im probably gunna get SLATED for this lol, but Ive cut out the kind of Dragon emblem from skyrim, and im gunna backlight it
with either red or green LEDS, paint the box purple with metallic Blue detailing on drive tray, buttons etc.

Im not even a massive skyrim fan, I just like that motif

Yeah im doing my non-modded box this time round, wanted to make the one I know wont be getting banned etc at least look decent

blueskull85

Noob Account
Jan 30, 2012
It will run you about $2 for a chunk of plexy so just save yourself the headach and get some.
Alot of people that have sh*tty xboxs that overheat or just run hot will take their covers off all together to allow it to breath more. Me I have a 4 year old son so that just sounds like a bad idea to me!

ya, It really dont sound safe to have open like that with kids.. and I think it looks tacky without plexi