RGH Question: Can I replace the DVD drive with a 2.5 HDD

iwantslimflashed

Dec 24, 2010
Hi guys.

As the title says, i just want to know if its possible to replace the DVD drive with a laptop HDD on an xbox 360 slim.
I' ve readed that is possible with a 3.5", but you need to get more power from the motherboard. What about a laptop HDD? I think the power consumption is lower on these, so this mod shouldn't be neccesary, but i dont really know.

Thanks in advance!

iwantslimflashed

Dec 24, 2010
Thanks for your response!

Because im already have a 1tb disk there, and since i have a 500gb hdd around that i dont use, i wanted to use the dvd drive slot.

And do i need to do any mod in order to provide more power? Or is not neccesary because is a laptop drive?

Thanks.

GeekHeat

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2013
lancashire
There are tuts on how to replace the DVD drive with a 3.5 sata HDD. I wud of though it would be the same procedure but u won't need the 12v. U cud always put the 2.5 in a USB enclosure and connect to USB. Is your 1tb HDD full then. Also removing the DVD drive u loose the easy function to rip your games to your HDD.

iwantslimflashed

Dec 24, 2010
@geek: yes, im aware of that but i already copied all my dvd games to the hdd.

if your thinking that you can use the sata port of the dvd drive for the hdd you cannot.
Why not?

edit: just to clarify, i basically want to have two internal hdds, one on the standard hdd port and the other one by taking off the dvd drive.

Last edited:

iwantslimflashed

Dec 24, 2010
so, how some guys installed a 3.5 drive using the sata port of the dvd drive?

btw yea, id love one of those adapters that you posted :)

ObeyNation

VIP Member
Jul 9, 2013
Ohio
so, how some guys installed a 3.5 drive using the sata port of the dvd drive?

btw yea, id love one of those adapters that you posted :)
You could get a USB inclosure and strip the USB part and solder it to the back of the USB port that's in the back and it would work fine , but you can't use the back usb when the Harddrive is connected but the front ones would work fine

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
There are usb ports on the motherboard that arent used on a phat xbox, I dont know about a slim though, that you could solder the wires to.

ObeyNation

VIP Member
Jul 9, 2013
Ohio
I don't think so because when your using a 2.5 with a enclosure you don't need any extra power normally the USB is all it needs? So I think your good , I would personally use a 2.5 enclosure strip the USB wires solder it to a in used USB port or a existing one.

CptKlink

May 2, 2014
Its pretty straight forward and simple you can't use the DVD drive sata port for anything other then the dvd drive thats it no if's and's or but's about it DVD drive SATA port is for DVD Drive only.

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Top Poster Of Month
Jul 7, 2010
At Home
since its a 2.5, do i still need extra power? Or the extra power is only needed for a 3.5 drive?
Laptop hard drives (2.5") only need 5V which USB can provide.

You could make your own internal USB > SATA adapter if you found the correct pinout.