R-JTAG Zephyr v2.0 will not boot

AlessandroAU

Nov 30, 2013
Console Type: Zephyr (Halo 3 edition green Xbox)
NAND size: 16mb
Dashboard version: e.g 2.0.16537
CB version: 4569

Screenshot of NAND details from J-Runner:
See Attached

Was the console working before you started: Yes

J-Runner log:
- I don't have a JR programmer, I am using LPT flash method. (is possible to sniff a RS232 output somewhere on the board?)

Description of problem:
I cannot boot into Xell, Steps I have taken:

-Dumped Nand x3 and checked for errors (using nandpro with LPT method)
-Generated Xell for Zephyr @ 16537 with aud_clamp
-Flashed onto xbox using nandpro with command (nandpro.exe lpt: -w16 zephyr_hack_aud_clamp.bin)
-Attached AV cable
-aud_clamp resistor set to 470ohms.
-Voltage tuning set to 1.2v

Powered on Xbox, all jumpers set to off. (As ver v1.1 7-8 > Off-Off)
Tried jumpers 1-6 in binary fashion, Xbox either did nothing and I pulled power after 10+ cycles, or RROD was seen.

I tried the following combinations of jumpers:
6 5 4 3 2 1
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 1 1
0 0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 1
0 0 0 1 1 0
0 0 0 1 1 1 etc.... up to 1 1 1 1 1 1 ie, 2^6 combinations

Found some settings that gave an RROD more or else after a cycle, so then I then tried the tuning options as well as the aud_clamp settings these did nothing.

Flash back to original NAND, xbox booted fine.
After reading on forums that a falcon Xell could be used I tried falcon_hack_aud_clamp.bin This did not work either so I flashed back to a zephyr xell.

Then checked for continuity on all soldered connections, everything seemed ok. Changed CPU reset point as well still not boot.

What is the next trouble shooting step?

Attachments

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
No offence but your soldering is a little messy and u still have flux all over the place, clean up with iso-alcohol. I can see u'r a jtag old skooler :smile:. U only need to use one dip at a time. Ie

Any other combinations u are just wasting your time. Try with no voltage jumper first then try with 1.2, then with 1.8v. Also, u really need to be using postout/rater for troubleshooting glitch chips.

AlessandroAU

Nov 30, 2013
No offence but your soldering is a little messy and u still have flux all over the place, clean up with iso-alcohol. I can see u'r a jtag old skooler :smile:. U only need to use one dip at a time
I followed an old school nand dumping guide for LPT which had the diodes in place, I didn't realise it was for old school jtag at the time hah, do you know if having them in place prevents r-jtag from working? I found a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5M0DYbg68 where the guy has them in place and has a successful boot.

I did more reading and the Xbox itself has a serial rx/tx on connector J2B1 if I probe here is the output useful? http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/images/d/d5/J2B1_SCON.png

Can someone explain to me the differences in the nandpro command line options

"Flash a xell.bin compiler output (no SPARE) to block 40, adding SPARE while flashing:"
nandpro lpt: +W16 xell.bin 40
or
NandPro lpt: -w16 xell.bin
or
NandPro lpt: -W16 xell.bin
or
NandPro lpt: +W16 xell.bin

Which would be the appropriate command line option to flash a xell output from jrunner?

One last question, If I want to try without aud_clamp, is setting the QSB switch to off sufficient to do so? or do I need to desolder the board?

Last edited:

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
First off use j-runner. It will work with a home made lpt flasher..... also i would suggest ordering a jr-programmer v2 it makes this install much more easier with the Rater feature. If we knew what you box was actually doing we could help you, but as it is we are about as blind as you as far as troublshooting this. In other news based upon the info given i would assume since it isnt getting past the glitch cycle, i would reflow/reball the cpu. If it were getting stuck with e79 then it would be a jtag error, and i would tell you to look at the jtag wirinig/ possibly reflow/reballing of gpu also.The southbridge coud also need reflowed, as e and f wires go there. as it is we cant give a definitive answer because all of the info needed isnt here.

Last edited:

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
Ok, as DArkglide said, use jrunner to create and write files. Lpt isn't supported anymore so get a Jrp v2 so u can use postout to troubleshoot your issues. U need to remove the topside jtag wiring if u are using the jtag qsb. Dopsoner used wires after having trouble with qsb. Clean all points with Iso-alcohol. Not sure where u got u'r xell file, u need to download jrunner and create and flash xell with that then post your jrunner log and screenshot of jrunner before we can help u more. Good luck.

TX_F1ERCE_TX

Sep 30, 2013
What always works best for me on any console is the old school JTAG wiring. But even then you still have to mess with the dips and voltage settings a bit. Hope this helps :)

TX_F1ERCE_TX

Sep 30, 2013
What always works best for me on any console is the old school JTAG wiring. But even then you still have to mess with the dips and voltage settings a bit. Hope this helps :)
Oh and also it's best and wise to invest in a Nand x or JRP V2.Also they don't support DIY here, strictly TX Products. Good luck!

AlessandroAU

Nov 30, 2013
[COLOR=#4D5153 said:
Ok, as DArkglide said, use jrunner to create and write files. Lpt isn't supported anymore so get a Jrp v2 so u can use postout to troubleshoot your issues. U need to remove the topside jtag wiring if u are using the jtag qsb. Dopsoner used wires after having trouble with qsb. Clean all points with Iso-alcohol. Not sure where u got u'r xell file, u need to download jrunner and create and flash xell with that then post your jrunner log and screenshot of jrunner before we can help u more. Good luck.[/COLOR]
I don't have a topside QSB, I have the starter r-jtag kit, I bought this locally and they did not have any of the ultimate kits in stock so I don't have a jrp, or a top side QSB. It should be possible to do all the NAND related operations with an LPT interface from what I can tell. UserXJonnyGunsX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXcT2caDMNk preforms the starter kit install and has a successful boot without a Post-Output so why can't I :confused: Xell was generated using j-runner then flashed using nandpro

[COLOR=#4D5153 said:
First off use j-runner. It will work with a home made lpt flasher..... also i would suggest ordering a jr-programmer v2 it makes this install much more easier with the Rater feature. If we knew what you box was actually doing we could help you, but as it is we are about as blind as you as far as troublshooting this. In other news based upon the info given i would assume since it isnt getting past the glitch cycle, i would reflow/reball the cpu. If it were getting stuck with e79 then it would be a jtag error, and i would tell you to look at the jtag wirinig/ possibly reflow/reballing of gpu also.The southbridge coud also need reflowed, as e and f wires go there. as it is we cant give a definitive answer because all of the info needed isnt here.[/COLOR]
Console doesn't need a reball right now, This console has seen very very light use during its time and boots fine with stock NAND. LPT is only supported for programming a cool-runner as far as I know, not for nand flashing.

I cleaned the soldering and installed the topside wiring using through hole breadboard jumpers so there is solder contact on both sides of the board. I also checked that there was continuity between the pads 0-7 on the r-jtag board and the topside vias near the CPU. I also checked for aud_clamp continuity specifically the small pad. At this point I do not think there is a soldering issue.

Attachments

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
I don't have a topside QSB, I have the starter r-jtag kit, I bought this locally and they did not have any of the ultimate kits in stock so I don't have a jrp, or a top side QSB. It should be possible to do all the NAND related operations with an LPT interface from what I can tell. UserXJonnyGunsX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXcT2caDMNk preforms the starter kit install and has a successful boot without a Post-Output so why can't I :confused: Xell was generated using j-runner then flashed using nandpro

Console doesn't need a reball right now, This console has seen very very light use during its time and boots fine with stock NAND. LPT is only supported for programming a cool-runner as far as I know, not for nand flashing.

I cleaned the soldering and installed the topside wiring using through hole breadboard jumpers so there is solder contact on both sides of the board. I also checked that there was continuity between the pads 0-7 on the r-jtag board and the topside vias near the CPU. I also checked for aud_clamp continuity specifically the small pad. At this point I do not think there is a soldering issue.
I never said anything about a 'topside qsb', i said remove the topside jtag wiring because u are using the bottomside qsb. That's fine if you are using jrunner to create the xell file, though why not also use lpt function in jrunner, it is not supported, doesnt mean you cant do it. How do u know johnnyguns didnt use postout? He has done many consoles so he knows what he is doing. At this point you would need to provide a postout log to show a better picture of what is going on as per the required support template for help on this site.

AlessandroAU

Nov 30, 2013
I never said anything about a 'topside qsb', i said remove the topside jtag wiring because u are using the bottomside qsb. That's fine if you are using jrunner to create the xell file, though why not also use lpt function in jrunner, it is not supported, doesnt mean you cant do it. How do u know johnnyguns didnt use postout? He has done many consoles so he knows what he is doing. At this point you would need to provide a postout log to show a better picture of what is going on as per the required support template for help on this site.
I have tried with the topside wiring removed, it still didn't work :( I'll try again. J-runner will not work with lpt, after entering the port and selecting LPT it simply says device not found. I believe this is is only used to program a coolrunner. I know johnnyguns didn't use postout because he does not have anything attached to the post_ttl connector while he's tweaking the dips.

Do you know what happens if you try to boot with r-jtag while on stock rom? I think I might have a issue flashing the xell nand correctly.

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
I have tried with the topside wiring removed, it still didn't work :( I'll try again. J-runner will not work with lpt, after entering the port and selecting LPT it simply says device not found. I believe this is is only used to program a coolrunner. I know johnnyguns didn't use postout because he does not have anything attached to the post_ttl connector while he's tweaking the dips.

Do you know what happens if you try to boot with r-jtag while on stock rom? I think I might have a issue flashing the xell nand correctly.
Fair enough. Remove the topside wiring and that solder on the underside which is crossing your aud_clamp wire. U don't need it with the jtag qsb in place. Do u know if u'r xell file flashed properly, Do u have a nandpro log?

U can flash back to stock and boot with the jtag qsb set to 'off' and the 5v wire desoldered from Rjtag board. U really need a way to get a postout log to further diagnose your issues.

AlessandroAU

Nov 30, 2013
Fair enough. Remove the topside wiring and that solder on the underside which is crossing your aud_clamp wire. U don't need it with the jtag qsb in place. Do u know if u'r xell file flashed properly, Do u have a nandpro log?

U can flash back to stock and boot with the jtag qsb set to 'off' and the 5v wire desoldered from Rjtag board. U really need a way to get a postout log to further diagnose your issues.
The wire jumper on the underside doesn't actually touch anything, I found a diagram http://team-xecuter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17928&d=1371788805 thinking that I needed to bridge the pins but the second connection is not needed. I've removed it and cleaned the connections on the underside abit. Nandpro just completes without any specific console output :\

I ordered a JRP v2, not sure when that will arrive so I'll keep playing with the LPT method for now.

AlessandroAU

Nov 30, 2013
So I built an SPI nand flasher today (based on PIC18F2550) today and spent some time playing with the console. LPT sucks balls :p I managed to get xell boot ONCE and only once have not managed to get it to glitch again :\ No idea what the issue is, this console seems very fussy.

Attachments

Taijigamer2

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2013
England
Nice work. If u managed to boot xell then your post qsb and jtag qsb must be ok, try playing with dip settings and voltages to find the sweet spot. A Jrp v2 will still be invaluable in fine tuning your setup. Good luck.

[email protected]

VIP Member
Jun 21, 2012
You can't really troubleshoot your install without post log. Go get JRP v.2 or build post monitoring device yourself :)
From my experience Zephyrs are unstable with R-JTAG, successful boot depends on CPU temperature. If you block the airflow from the fan with the piece of paper and heat the CPU up to 80 degrees it boots instantly, otherwise it fails on 2E.