Removing CFW and Starting Over w SXOS

Trenton

Noob Account
Aug 16, 2018
There is a youtube video which claims to show how to revert a Switch with CFW (and games on it) to fully stock condition. He claims that after doing this sequence you can go online and won't be banned - at least until you reinstall your CFW.

Here's the link:

I would like to do this as I didn't do a nand save before using SXOS and don't have a emunand set up. Now that I know more about what I'm doing, I'd like to go back and redo all this the right way. So my questions are:

1. Does this look possible? I already did the first part to get my keys, but that's always worked.

2. Any reason not to try it? I have a recent nand backup. A couple reviewers say their Switch didn't boot after this, but others say it works fine.

I really don't care if I get banned, but if by some miracle I can have a clean OFW and emunand based CFW I'd be happy. Mostly, I just don't want to do this and make my working switch into a brick.

Anyone try it?

Trenton

Noob Account
Aug 16, 2018
I can now report that I did this and it worked fine. I booted OFW and spent an hour on the Nintendo eshop and everything was perfectly normal. I now have a Clean Backup and Emunand. A few things I learned:

I updated to OFW 8.1 offline and used SXOS 2.8 before doing the steps in the video.

The early steps to get your keys requires a driver that was not on my computer. You can just search for a download of TegraRcmGui version 2.6 and download and unzip. It has a folder called driver. Just run "install driver" and you will have it.

You will get a LOT of keys - save them all, but the ones needed to do this are labeled Bis Key 2 . He says this in the video, but doesn't show it.

DO NOT forget to turn off AutoRCM in the SXOS settings before starting.

Everything else is pretty much exactly as shown.

elanorh295

Jan 4, 2019
US
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you did not restore a clean nand (pre-CFW) then you are at risk of a ban. Your nand is still dirty. Hope you get lucky though.

Read the video comments too. Someone reported a ban after following the video. =/

Reactions: imprezgc8

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Really it comes down to knowing that if you modify your console you risk a ban.

That's all you need to know. This goes for ANY video game console that connects to the internet from any generation of gaming. Nothing new here.

The only known way to protect your self is by means of preventative measures before you begin your mod. As stated above you would have had to do a full nand dump prior to modding your console, then keep it offline 100% of the time from that point forward. Then if you want to go back online you would restore your nand dump.... that's not all though, as you also have to keep track of your efuses. If you have updated the firmware on your device then booted up without efuse patching, now your original backup isn't going to work either.

Keeping a console clean, and modded at the same time can be difficult. This is why emunand exists. I would much prefer a hardware dual-nand solution.... but for now emunand is what is available to allow people to keep a clean sysnand, and also enjoy modding with their emunand.

Reactions: imprezgc8