LITEON DG-16D2S Replacing DG-16D2S with TS-H943: Bad idea?

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
I have an "older" phat 360 that shipped with a LiteOn DG-16D2S 74850C (November 2008). It is still an unmodded virgin. I acquired a chrome faced TS-H943 ms28 (August 2006), also an unmodded virgin. Which is the better "modders" model? Does one offer benefits over the other? I've spent weeks reading through all kinds of threads on this forum. There is an immense amount of knowledge here. I have gotten the impression that to replace a drive with another model, you have to spoof the original drives firmware. If that's the case, I guess I'll just keep the LiteOn.

I ordered the XECUTER X360USB PRO, XECUTER CK3i, and XECUTER PROBE V3 bundle (should get here by Monday), so I'm getting ready to flash firmware on one (or both) of the drives.

gazcoigne

BANNED
Jan 31, 2005
Belfast, UK
you cant spoof in a sammy, XGD3 games will not boot.

stick with the liteon and swap the chrome bezel if you want it they are interchangeable

Reactions: Dameon

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
you cant spoof in a sammy, XGD3 games will not boot.

stick with the liteon and swap the chrome bezel if you want it they are interchangeable
Thanks for the super fast response. That's the exact kind of information I was looking for... why NOT to do it. Wasn't sure if an older drive would be better or worse.

I found a couple threads that were somewhat related, but weren't much help:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49155

The bezel isn't much of a concern. I prefer the consistent putty color of my 360 (as in my avatar).

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
for better stuff U should order X360USB PRO 2 less hasel and don't need XECUTER CK3i
Too late. I thought I had done adequate research (over a couple months), but I missed that one. I'll have to make what I ordered work. I'm not dropping another $80+ if I can make the V1 work.

Thanks.

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
Further investigation indicates that my 74850C is most likely a 02510C now...

"IF YOUR DASHBOARD IS 2.0.13599 OR HIGHER THEN YOUR DRIVE IS NO LONGER A 74850C - IT HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO A 02510C."

I am currently running dashboard 2.0.16203.0... I hope that doesn't hose my efforts up. I'll be following the excellent guide here:

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66257

I seem to meet all the requirements:

Xecuter X360USB Pro -
En Route Now

Xecuter CK3 Pro or Xecuter CK3 Lite to power/control the DVD drive - CK3i En Route Now

Xecuter CK3 Probe 3 (To extract your DVD Key) - En Route Now

Latest version of Jungle Flasher (Must be v0.1.84 (250) and above) - I have version 0.1.96.Beta(323)

Latest version of X360USB PRO firmware (must be at least v18) - I assume since I just ordered it, it will have newest F/W

X360USB PRO Windows Drivers - Not needed for USB model

Windows XP / Vista / 7 - 32bit or 64bit - Windows 7 64bit

Yes the firmware will have been upgraded on your liteon but makes no difference to the procedure. Plug in liteon, press phat key, follow instructions, probe point, save key. It will auto load the firmware and input key. Hit liteon erase to intro the drive and then write.

Obviously read jungle flasher tut for more detail but it looks like you are already. You seem to have everything you need for the drives you have.

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
I had some concern that my X360USB wouldn't have the newest firmware, so I went to http://team-xecuter.com/downloads/ to obtain the newest firmware. Their site isn't very comprehensive though. They seem to have no related files. But, while I was poking around on the forums, I discovered a second download location, http://team-xecuter.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10, that does have firmware updates. Unfortunately, the person maintaining the links hosed something up and I can only seem to get updater version .12 instead of the reported version .14. I guess it isn't a show-stopper though as it appears .12 will update the device to version 20.1 firmware.

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
Your X360USB should have the correct firmware for the drives you have but will need to be updated for the newer slim liteon and hitachi drives where you use an ltu2 pcb.
So as long as the X360USB comes with at least version 18 firmware, I won't really gain anything going beyond that with my model DVD drives. That's good to know. I will make the assumption that it won't hurt to update to 20 anyway just so i don't fall behind in the event I ever want to work with LTU2 boards.

I've been reading a LOT of information on swapping my "internal" 20GB drive with a WD 1TB drive. I took apart the caddy and prepared it for the new drive (which I haven't received yet), but am unclear on how to prepare the new drive. I have a more suitable thread for that issue here.

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
Okay, so I *finally* received my X360 USB Pro and CK3i. Took almost 2 weeks due to the vendor not telling me they were waiting on a shipment of CK3 Probe's from the manufacturer. When I checked on my order a week after placing it, they suggested an alternate probe, the Maximus Scorpion 2, which they could ship ASAP. They had no date on the CK3 Probe's, so I told them to send the Scorpion.

So far I've managed to install the Windows 7 drivers for the X360, plug everything in (without any smoke released), updated the firmware on my X360, and am ready to read my drive key with Jungleflasher (it recognizes my X360 and LiteOn). All I have to do is figure out where to hook this probe...

Last edited:

cj_goalie31

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Go to maximus's site. Their should be diagrams. The hooks connect to the pcb board. Also the probe is different from the probe v3. To extract the key you simply.

1. probe the point
2. Power off then on the drive quickly
3. After status 0x52 turn off the drive wait 5 seconds then power on the drive.
4. Press ok

I had the same issue with probe v3 being out of stock. I needed to replace my old as it didnt seem to be working properly so i had to go with the scorpion also. Took me awhile figure out the scorpion but those steps will work.

Last edited:

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
I was able to get a PDF showing the correct hookups for the Scorpion probe, unfortunately no logical insight though. I was able to figure it out after many trial and errors.

As far as I can tell, my LiteOn is flashed and ready to go. I was able to generate my drive key and flash LTPlus-025v1.9. I put it back together and put it back in the Xbox360, but I haven't attempted to test it in any way.

The next task is to figure out how to get my WD 1TB drive working. I did ask suggested by several members, which was to simply put it in the clamshell, boot the Xbox360, and format it within System Settings. It doesn't see the drive at all. Only choice in Settings is the Internal Memory. I'm going to try creating a USB boot device (using 360 Modification USB Drive v1.6 Revision 4) and go through that method.

Well before you test anything and get flagged and banned from xbox live I suggest getting an up to date firmware pack and writing "LTPlus-0251-v3.0" since thats the latest version for a liteon drive. Youve got an old firmware pack there if youre flashing 1.9.

gazcoigne

BANNED
Jan 31, 2005
Belfast, UK
You can't use a 1tb hdd drive in a retail console only signed official hdds or hddhackr formatted drives will work.

If it's a rgh system you can use a 1tb drive just format it fat32 and hook into caddy and the console will format it.

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
Op states that console is Virgin unmoved so unlikely to be rgh I was just stating fact for anyone else reading
It is unmodified. I, for some stupid reason, assumed that once I modified the DVD firmware, I would be able to run Freestyle and load my own homebrew apps. Besides maybe running burned DVD's, I'm not sure why I wasted my time and money buying hardware to flash the drive.

Even after reading (several times) the excellent RGH n00b guide by Martin C, I wasn't able to determine which route to take. Apparently I should have read the guide a few more times.

I guess it's back to square one. Sounds like I'll have to buy MORE hardware to take advantage of the reset glitch hatch. All this just so I can run an 8 bit NES emulator.

Last edited:

Dameon

Nov 7, 2013
Well before you test anything and get flagged and banned from xbox live I suggest getting an up to date firmware pack and writing "LTPlus-0251-v3.0" since thats the latest version for a liteon drive. Youve got an old firmware pack there if youre flashing 1.9.
Although I don't use Live, or ever intend to, I'll go ahead and update to the newest version. I'll look again, but 1.9 seemed to be the "newest" on XBIN. Sometimes things aren't so easy to find there.

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
You just need to download the latest firmware pack.

If the RGH roadmap chart is too confusing, you might want to think twice about RGHing it yourself. It's a cross reference chart.