REQUEST: gpu/cpu/mem overclocking

stewacide

Sep 25, 2018
Over on GBAtemp people are getting dramatic results overclocking in handheld mode with patches to Atmosphere:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gpu-handheld-mode-overclock-soon-available.529123/

Just a small memory overclock (back to what it's actually rated) gives crazy results in some places: Particularly since so many games use dynamic resolutions, even going half way to the normal docked GPU frequency results in a much clearer image in stuff like Doom/Wolfenstein while handheld.

Hopefully TX can integrate this into SXOS, since it'll be a big incentive to switch to Atmosphere / bypass SX otherwise.

Undervolting would be another nice option to have in conjunction.

Attachments

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
lol. SX OS already outperforms all other CFWs. None of them have xci loading \ cheat engine yet... not to mention the general ease of setup and use.

anyway...

yes, I agree this is a nice feature that would be a great option for sx os users. I personally believe it would be good to put all OC options in the hands of the users.

gavin_darkglide

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2012
lol. SX OS already outperforms all other CFWs. None of them have xci loading \ cheat engine yet... not to mention the general ease of setup and use.

anyway...

yes, I agree this is a nice feature that would be a great option for sx os users. I personally believe it would be good to put all OC options in the hands of the users.
While I think the option to overclock should be there, there should be some protection, and some serious warnings attached to this. If you overclock, you could potentially cause damage to the console, even with the hardware protections in place. Just my thoughts, after seeing many burnt out video cards due to overclocking.

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Top Poster Of Month
Dec 2, 2010
Oh for sure.
The screens begin to get discolored and in some cases the console will warp if it gets too hot with little/no ventilation.

Overclocking is surely dangerous if done improperly or carelessly. I think that's really the reason why it's not currently available as an option.

stewacide

Sep 25, 2018
While I think the option to overclock should be there, there should be some protection, and some serious warnings attached to this. If you overclock, you could potentially cause damage to the console, even with the hardware protections in place. Just my thoughts, after seeing many burnt out video cards due to overclocking.
"Overclocking" in this case is really just returning it to the native/rated (docked) clockspeed.

Nintendo underclocks in handheld both to keep the system cool in the hand and (I would think primarily) to extend battery life, but if you're willing to give up some battery life (or have it plugged in) this is a really nice thing to have considering how poorly many games run stock in handheld mode.

RX-78

Noob Account
Jan 8, 2019
Poland
Native OC in SX OS will be great option. There can be few behavior like: GPU oc when plugged to charger in handheld mode, or lower oc in handheld mode when unplugged from AC and higher oc when plugged :)

イーブイ

Jan 30, 2019
Japan
I dunno. While I would like this I fear for the common end user. Most people have no knowledge of how pc-gaming and overclocking works. I feel like most people will just see an online article about this and immediately try to OC to maximal settings. Next thing you know their board is fried, their switch warps, or the screen has permanent damage. I fee like if this was a native feature it should be put behind many warning pages and feature a “basic” and advance settings menu to protect less tech-savvy users.

Best example for non-experienced users would be comparing it to a car. Even if your car is capable of going 300km, it doesn’t mean you should run it at 300km all the damn time. You’ll just burn out the engine or all the components that let it reach that maximal output.

TessellatedGuy

Noob Account
Nov 25, 2018
I would love this too (Specifically for xenoblade 2 lol), but it should come with multiple warnings and liability info when you go on to OC it. It should stave off people who don't know what it means and just go about enabling everything they see.

DeeX

Noob Account
Dec 7, 2002
Its pretty insane what overclocking is doing to res / sharpness.
I would love to have something like Freebird in SX OS.
This is literally the first time I have thought about loading another CFW.
Im going to wait it out just to see but if I feel this way than Im sure others do too.
I highly suggest looking into getting something that functions like freenbird.
Regarding safety it seems theres ways to ensure that. For one at first you could only allow to run at docked clocks while in handheld if plugged into to official charger. Same goes for higher clocks.
I dunno but seeing the difference sure is exciting. :)

Here is what sys-clk did for safety:
GPU (capped at 460MHz without a charger, clocks up to 768MHz require a charger, clocks higher than 768MHz require the official charger )

If you stick to something similar I cant see how anyone can screw it up. :p

Reactions: Game_Over

sixtynine

Dec 4, 2018
This is a dangerous feature request, which could end with a lot of SX OS users having warped or otherwise damaged switches. Whether through careless usage by the end-user, or a bug that activates overclocking when the user did not intend for it to be activated so the user doesn't notice it, or a bug causes the system to incorrectly gauge system temp and fries or warps the console.

The best way to add this feature would be as a module (add-on much like SX-Installer) that accomplishes this without it being directly part of SXOS. You could then force the people downloading and using the feature to read through as many warnings as you want in order to remove all responsibility from TX for damaged consoles.

Last edited:

as905

Mar 19, 2019
united kingdom
come one TX team give us these features,your SX OS is out of date & as soon as Atmosphere has Emunand no one will be using SX OS,i'm just been honest

Farma

Noob Account
Jun 12, 2019
Chile
hi.
Sysclk has shown spectacular results in other CFW. Please give native support to the OC in games or support an external developer in getting it.

Chnaps

Noob Account
Aug 15, 2019
Paris
Hello guyz,
Will we ever see OC for SX OS ? This post (Link Here) suggests that this is really not a problem for the switch and that it can definitely sustain to be tweaked to 100% of its capacity. I really hope we get an answer on this one day, it's so weird to me that SX OS doesn't support this, it has been available to other CFWs for a while now !

kuyah

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2018
since OC already on Atmosphere, every day i checked sxos page just to make sure they release this update. still waiting...