RGH & R-JTAG Hardware Suggestion Guide

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
The purpose of this guide is to help you identify what hardware is required for your console and which hardware to purchase when you have multiple options. This is not a “How To…” thread.

Warning
USE YOUR BRAIN AND DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Warning

BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW THE EXPLOITS WORK AND EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING FROM BEGINNING TO END BEFORE YOU BEGIN!

ONLY purchase Xecuter products from the recommended resellers listed here -> http://team-xecuter.com/where-to-buy/

1. Basic Tools

• Soldering equipment
Before you even think about performing a JTAG / RGH/ or R-JTAG hack on your console you MUST be able to effectively use a soldering iron and have experience with soldering small electrical components. If you jump right into soldering stuff into your console with no experience, you are taking the risk of permanently breaking the device. Installing equipment into an XBOX 360 (Or any console for that matter) is not for beginners. Don't forget... ALWAYS use flux while soldering.
You will need the following:
- A soldering Iron (15-30 Watt with a fine tip)​
- 60/40 Rosin-Core Solder 0.032” Diameter (Or similar)​
- De-soldering braid (In case you mess up…. Which happens to the best of us)​
- Flux (DON’T FORGET TO USE FLUX)​
- Multi-meter (To check continuity, voltage, resistance, etc...)​
- Wire strippers

• Nand R/W device
You will need to have a device that can read and write to your NAND. In most cases you can use a NAND-X or a JR Programmer. (I recommend using the JR Programmer v2 because of the features it offers that the NAND-X does not.) If you have a 4GB NAND you will need to use a 4GB R/W Kit. You must identify your motherboard first before you make the purchase to be sure you get the correct type of reader for your motherboard.

• Hack Specific Hardware
Each hack has their own required hardware and will be covered later in this guide. Sometimes there are multiple options for those who want the best possible boot times and for those who may have a tighter budget and don't mind spending more time tweaking wire lengths and/or waiting for a few more cycles for the console boot.

• Thermal Compound
Chances are pretty high that you will need to remove a heat sink at some point during the installation. When you do this, you must clean the heat sink as well as the processor it was sitting on thoroughly then replace the thermal compound. I recommend using Arctic MX-4 thermal compound. There are other options out there, just do your research and find what is best for you.

2. Identify your Motherboard / Dashboard / CB Version

• Motherboard
This image is a good place to start to determine which motherboard you have.

There are a few different versions of the Corona motherboard. If you have a Corona, you MUST determine whether or not your motherboard has the POST_OUT, or if it is missing. You can find out by reading THIS THREAD. You also need to check for resistors at R2C7, R2C6, and R2C10

• Dashboard / CB Version (For Phats)
Dashboard and CB version is most important with phat consoles, as all slims will use the RGH no matter which dash and CB they are on.
You can find out what your dashboard version is by booting your console up and go to System / Console Settings / System info. Now that you have the dashboard version, you NEED to find the CB version. This will determine which hack you will need to use on your console. To find your CB version you must dump your nand and load it into J-Runner to check.

Now that you know which motherboard you have, and what CB you have, you can take a look at Martin C's RGH roadmap for n00bies to discover which hack you need to use.

3. Hardware Options

THE FOLLOWING IS BASED ON MY OWN OPINION AND EXPERIENCE! I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR CONSOLE WHILE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL ONE OF THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW. QSBS ARE NOT REQUIRED, BUT I RECOMMEND THEM AS THEY MAKE THE INSTALL MUCH CLEANER.

SUGGESTED HARDWARE CHECK LISTS

HardwareSuggestion.PNG
* CORONA INSTALLS REQURE A 48.000 MHz CRYSTAL OSCILLATOR. YOU MAY USE THE RECOMMENDED CORONA QSB UPGRADE WHEN USING COOLRUNNER REV A, B, or C OR INSTALL ONE YOURSELF. THE CR3 LITE, TX SLIM PROTO, AND CR3 PRO HAVE THIS CRYSTAL INCLUDED IN THEIR DESIGN.

This thread will be updated regularly. If you spot Errors or have suggestions, please IM me and let me know so I can update.

Thanks to the entire Team-Xecuter staff and forum members for designing, creating, testing, and supporting the hardware that makes these exploits easy for all of us to enjoy.

Thank you: wullie64, AllyNerd, BL4K3Y, Oggy, carendell for your feedback/suggestions.

Last edited:

AllyNerd

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2013
Philadelphia
As suggested change the v3 on to fake post. Full post won't work. Also if using cr rev a thru c use the qsb with the crystal on it. You should have thrown rgx on trinity for the hell of it ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Game_Over

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Image has been Updated for the fake post mistake. -> Was missed with some copy/pasting.

Also if using cr rev a thru c use the qsb with the crystal on it. You should have thrown rgx on trinity for the hell of it ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
I have suggested to use the V3 QSBs anyway, but I will add a note that they are required for Coolrunner rev A-C installs . As far as RGX I will add that as a third option when I get back to the PC that I have build that table on. I don't really recommend RGX, but it IS an option, so I don't see any reason to NOT add it to the guide. Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

edit: As pointed out by BL4K3Y below.... the V3 QSBs don't have the 48MHz crystal on them as I was thinking (oops). The guide has been updated with correct information.

Last edited:

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
The Corona QSB v3 doesn't have a crystal oscillator on it.

If anyone is using a CoolRunner Rev. A/B/C, a Corona QSB Upgrade is required (you can also use an external 48MHz crystal oscillator).
Thank you. Updated.

Last edited:

Oggy

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
Mar 1, 2010
Jrp isn't exclusive to proto installs. There's no rater.

Reactions: Game_Over

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Update: removed unnecessary mentions of Nand-x or JR-Programmer when they aren't needed for installs. Also added Slim Proto v2 and moved the Proto to "Option 1" as it's the best option.

Jor-El

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2013
Is there another option that uses the Demon for Trinity motherboards? I didn't see one in the table chart.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
This guide does not cover the use of the DemoN.

The DemoN will serve as your nand r/w device, so you can replace that item in the chart with it (make sure whatever console you are modding is compatible with the DemoN - You CAN use the DemoN on a Trinity).

Last edited:

Jor-El

Noob Account
Dec 15, 2013
This guide does not cover the use of the DemoN.

The DemoN will serve as your nand r/w device, so you can replace that item in the chart with it (make sure whatever console you are modding is compatible with the DemoN - You CAN use the DemoN on a Trinity).
OK thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jackdao

Noob Account
Dec 11, 2013
Very useful. But I could not find out a soldering iron that has a small tip to solder tiny circuit board in Melbourne.

moasa

Noob Account
Feb 17, 2014
Hi im new to xbox 360 i was wondering can i modd my flashed dvd-rm xbox360 for playing homebrew games its a falcon liteon 3.0 dash 2.0.16537.0 can anyone help me

Game_Over

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 2, 2010
Hi im new to xbox 360 i was wondering can i modd my flashed dvd-rm xbox360 for playing homebrew games its a falcon liteon 3.0 dash 2.0.16537.0 can anyone help me
To run unsigned code you will need to have JTAG, R-JTAG, or RGH. Flashing the DVD Rom only allows you to play backup copies of games you already own.

Support Our Sponsors