RROD with v2 kit, does the extreme version make the difference?

CLMT420

Jan 5, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I installed the v2 on my friends over a year falcon and it worked for a little bit (maybe a week) then got the rrod again. I told him the baking trick and it worked each time he did it (at least 10) but still rrod's. I noticed that the extreme edition has quite a few more parts than the v2. I fried my falcon and my friend gave me this xbox so I would like to get it working. I know nothing's 100% but from what I read it seems to be the best solution.

Antalpromille

VIP Member
Aug 4, 2011
Borås, sweden
The best solution is to get someone to reflow/reball it for you. The repair kits are just a temporary fix wich you already have noticed, i have a hard time beliving it would work more than a few weeks/months max.

CLMT420

Jan 5, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I have a heat gun and have found a decent tutorial on reflowing, I was planning on just buying a new mobo on ebay so its not going to be a loss and good experience. Any suggestions or tips for the reflow?

BL4K3Y

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2010
Colne, Lancashire (UK)
I have a heat gun and have found a decent tutorial on reflowing, I was planning on just buying a new mobo on ebay so its not going to be a loss and good experience. Any suggestions or tips for the reflow?
If you must do a reflow, do it properly using proper equipment.

A heat gun is generally used for stripping paint and will probably do more harm than good :eek2:!

Last edited:

piromaniac

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Molex tower
My dear friend with each repair kit TX have released they have tried there utmost to perfect the result with adding extra support and kit to the packs, yes they do work 9/10 times however as mentioned above they are usually only a temporary fix. Heat guns are the Achilles heal for any motherboard as without you knowing can warp the boards and other components you can just google that fir some hard proof, so my overall suggestion would be the same as above reflow/reballl using correct gear, it will most likely be cheaper and beneficial for prolonging the life of any console.

Last edited:
Reactions: djbroake

WNYConsoles

Staff member
Troll Eating Dogs
I can confirm that without a doubt heatguns do more damage to boards than any other repair method. This is usually how it goes...

0102/E74 > heatgun > 0020/0022 > proper reball > repaired > fails down the road for something else like 0110 or a power issue. Basically IMO a heatgun does nothing but damage smaller components on the board and eventually they just give out.

Additionally, I find heatgunned boards that were 0102 and are 0102 after the heatgun usually end up having burnt/dead components on the bottom of the board under the GPU so even after a proper reball you are left with 0102. Basically a "false positive 0102".

Reactions: djbroake

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
the word temporary should be clarified

ive got boxes working over a year later with the extreme kit installed. it really depends on how bad the damage is - but the extreme kit is THE best on the market for sure