SAMSUNG MS25 Samsung and OLD dash

playfortoday

Noob Account
Aug 30, 2017
Hi there. Noob here.
I've got an old x360 with samsung drive (can't remember if ms25 or 28) and the ancient 2.0.2858.0 dashboard.
I want to mod the samsung firmware to play backups. No online required AT ALL and since they are quite few, burning them to discs is ok.
My questions are:
1)Dashboard, what to do? should i update? To which version? I'll do that BEFORE flashing the drive, right?
2)Do i use DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL? I found opposite informations.
3)Since i want to play region locked imports, will this be possible?
thanks!

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
The dashboard is low enough to Jtag the xbox although based on the information supplied you probably have a Xenon that wont last long. If you don't want to Jtag and merely flash the drive to play backups you will need to first update to the latest dashboard or your later games (XGD3) will not run. The DVD+R DL discs are the most popular although I haven't personally tried -R. Your console will only play region locked discs once you JTag it - flashing the drive will not help in this case.

playfortoday

Noob Account
Aug 30, 2017
Hi there! Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a xenon, but it is bran new so i'll hope it won't die on me SO soon.
I will exclude the jtag since it will be too much troubles and time consuming, just to preserve some of my discs. I have another x360 (latest revision, updated an all) in which i play those games but as a collector point of view i would like to keep'em minty.
So, back to the point: You suggest the LATEST dash? Any disvantage? And really no way to patch the ISOs for multi region?

Joo C

VIP Member
Dec 2, 2011
South Africa
The only disadvantage here is that you will lose the ability to ever jtag the Xenon again. As far as I know there is no way of patching the ISO and recompiling the disc so that it becomes region-free (I may be wrong although I doubt it)

BrockThunderjam

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2013
Just to add to what Joo C said, it would be a shame to update it and lose jtag'ability when jtagging it gives you everything you're after.

playfortoday

Noob Account
Aug 30, 2017
Well, to be honest i have TWO xenon with that dashboard. The other one is brand new, so i might keep it that way to jtag it in the future. Or maybe i'll sell it (is there market for that???).
Thanks guys