SAMSUNG MS28 Samsung MS28 LT2.01 XGD3 games disc unreadable

jollygreen999

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
I have tried many different things to no avail.
Phat Xbox
(brand new) Samsung MS28 w/ lt2.01
Dashboard 13604
Memorex DL 8x 8.5 DvD+R

I have tried to burn XGD3 games with ImgBurn and CloneCD - Overburn and Truncate. Both programs are updated to the newest versions. My xbox will play all original and burned non-XGD3 games. It will not play original or burned XGD3 games. I have tried burning the XGD3 games with 2.4x, 4x, and 8x. I thought perhaps the issue was my Memorex DLs but the system will not even play original XGD3 discs. They always show up in the dash menu like the game is playable and will successfully install to the HDD, but still will not play. I constantly get the disc unreadable error even with the orignal XGD3 disc. I have tried to clear all system cache and HDD cache. I don't think it could be the lazer because the drive is brand new (1 week). Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should try next?

talby71

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2010
Near Melbourne , Australia
just curious does it play older ap2.5 games like black ops etc

xboxhack11

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2011
I would flash the drive back to stock and see if it will play original xdg3 games. If it does, then you will know that it is not a hardware problem and is therefore a firmware problem. If xdg3 original works on stock firmware then I would re-download the lt+2.01 firmware from a reliable source and reflash drive. After you flash try an origanal XDG3 disk first and see if it works. If so, then try your XDG3 backups.

I would also check for AP2.5 flags with xval. If you have one remove it with Nanfx before you go back on live.

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
I stopped reading when I saw Memorex.

Get yourself some decent discs, you know what ones... (Thats your Solution)

ahmedss79

Sep 3, 2011
Jeddah
I'm having the same problem and it's with with verbatim discs and a new drive ,it just wont play xgd3 games originals or backups

[Death]

VIP Member
Mar 8, 2005
South West UK
try a reflash , stock then 2.01, if thats a npo go. is it a completey new drive? if so u may need to tweak the laser, they are not always set optimum, gram yaself a meter and check the pots

DrunkenNinja

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2011
RGH
I'm having the same problem and it's with with verbatim discs and a new drive ,it just wont play xgd3 games originals or backups
Start your own thread, then we can help you.

Oh and post as much info as possible, a Jungle flash log would be a good start.

Last edited:

jollygreen999

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
With the LT2.01 my system plays everything but the XGD3 games. I flashed my system back to original firmware and still the same thing. I thought it might have been my old drive. That is the reason I bought the new one.

jollygreen999

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
Ok so I tried the POT tweak calibration. Still will not read the original XGD3 disc. I went both clockwise and counter-clockwise fractions at a time testing each setting until the drive would no longer pull up the game in the dash menu (would not read any discs), then back. I think my xbox is 3 years old. It has a Gears of War 2 case, but I forget if I had pulled it from another system. Any other options?

Haized

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
this was happening to me as well with gow3 retail.
Tried everything inc flashing back to stock and in the end I cleared the system cache and then it started giving dirty disk error but on third attempt booted up with stock fw. Then flashed back to 2.01 but now it is happening again so I do think there maybe issues with the laser/drive perhaps. Suppose I will just have to go back to stock until I can get a new drive to test but op has already done this so now I am confused.

- worked on about fifth attempt!!!!!
try clearing system cache.
drive is making a hell of a lot of noise though dont think they like xgd3 and this is a retail disk!

Last edited:

jollygreen999

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
Also as for the Memorex discs I have never had a problem with them until XGD3. And the game shows up in the dash menu, and installs to the HDD without errors, just won't play the game. I would look to buy new ones if the system would play the original XGD3 disc. The discs works because it will play fine in a different system.

jollygreen999

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
OK so re-flashed the drive to OFW post 2.0.13146.0 dashboard update. Still didn't work. Put LT2.01 back on and no dice. I read a few places that old systems were known to Microsoft that would not play XGD3 games and that they would replace them? It was hard to find solid information on it. My systems MFD is in 2006, so it could just be the system. I might call MS tomorrow to see what they say, but I don't think they would replace it because it has been opened. Also sometime this fall MS is pushing another dashboard update. Maybe this would somehow fix the issue. Can anyone think of anything that I might try that hasn't been done yet? If the next update doesn't work I will have to buy a new system which would suck.

Haized

Noob Account
Nov 1, 2011
Don't mean to argue but I had exactly the same problem as I explained and read on another forum didn't think it would but i tried it and it worked.
I have ms25 drive. Had to eject drive a couple of times but it did pick it up