GENERAL SD Reader for 4GB R/W Kit

happimeal

Nov 16, 2015
Can anyone post a few sd card readers that are known to always work. I have bought 2 different card readers from amazon, as well as the built in one on 2 laptops trying to read the Nand in J-Runner. I have a Corona V2 motherboard, the Nand R/W kit soldered in place, as well as the CR4XL soldered in place as well. I plug power into the xbox, the light on the CR4 is lighting up, however I cannot get any of the pc's to detect the nand. I have tested with an ohm meter, the points between the end of the sd card adapter and the points on the other end of that ribbon cable where it attaches to the QSB soldered onto the xbox.

Is there any points I can test on the motherboard, to make sure my solder is good, as it doesn't do much good to put the multimeter on the solder joints on the QSB. Is there any pictures of the other end of any of those points I can test. I am really just trying to figure out if it's my installation, or if I just need to keep trying different SD card readers. All my PC's are Win 10 64-Bit, however I have read plenty of posts of Win10 pc's that work fine.

If you need pictures, I will post them when I get home, however I have been soldering for many years, and am confident it is not the soldering.

Thanks in advance.

Running4Hippos

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Make sure the oscillator is grounded properly and you have it set to Read/Write
Also on of the pads on the qsb could have been damaged
You can also try converting a regular Sd to read the 4gb nand

Last edited:

happimeal

Nov 16, 2015
Just curious, it wasn't until yesterday that I found some posts that state not to turn on your xbox with the 4gb nand qsb installed. What happens if you do? I have noticed their are a lot of great guides on how to install and wire these different devices up, but the ones I have found, don't usually have a lot to say once you have everything wired up, like next steps. Am I wrong, did I just not look enough?

happimeal

Nov 16, 2015
Make sure the oscillator is grounded properly and you have it set to Read/Write
Also on of the pads on the qsb could have been damaged
You can also try converting a regular Sd to read the 4gb nand

Converting regular SD to read the nand. Like soldering wires to the inside of a usb drive? Any links or pics (I did search, just not sure what i found was correct.)

Also, will this work with the CR4XL installed. The red light on the CR4 is on while im trying to read the nand.

happimeal

Nov 16, 2015
I finally got my pc to recognize the nand. Here is my j-runner log

J:\
Reading from J:\ to D:\J-Runner\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\output\nanddump1.bin
System.IO.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.FileStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at JRunner.Panels.LDrivesInfo.read(String filename)1
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
System.NullReferenceException

I end up with a 64KB file. Im guessing that's not all of it?

Last edited:

happimeal

Nov 16, 2015
After I read the Nand with j-runner, create the ECC and write it back, I know I have to boot the console once to get the cpu key, how together does the xbox have to be to boot. Can I just put the motherboard back in the cage, make sure the cpu fan is connected and it will boot, or does it need to be mostly together.

Also, does it matter that the CR4XL is already installed?

Thanks

Last edited: