LITEON DG-16D4S - SLIM Slim 0401 Open tray after winbound

amtz86

Mar 27, 2010
FW wrote fine, tray ejects, spi status says locked so i don't know why i'm getting the open tray error. Looking at the lens and it doesnt have that blue tint, how could this be if i've never played a day on this xbox? Or could the winbound hack have anything to do with this?

Jun 4, 2010
Easiest way to test is get another untouched or unlocked PCB and test the drive with it. If it works then means your kamikazie has killed the PCB if still doesn't work then probably a bad laser.

Reactions: amtz86

amtz86

Mar 27, 2010
Okay so i found this guy who followed the exact steps as me and had this issue, i tried out what he mentioned and still open tray, the drive just buzzes once and doesnt even spin the disc, the lens doesn't even turn red so thats a fact the laser is dead right? I'll order a new one and hope this is my problem

-----"This was the first time this has happened when I posted this but it's actually happened a bunch more times since but since the same thing works to fix it every time I don't worry about it too much. All I do when this happens is connect the drive again and use the alcohol swab to unlock it. Then I lock the drive again and this seems to be the part that fixes it. I hit the "Outro" button like 3 or 4 times. Once I do that it works in the Xbox just fine. Also, it doesn't have to be done again. If I work on the drive again I just do what I would normally do and just hit the "Outro" button once and it always works. This has happened to me on quite a few 0401 drives I have done, like 20 or so, and all with the same result and fix. The weird thing is even trying to hit the "Outro" button several times after the initial unlock and relock still doesn't fix the issue. It seems to be fixed by running it through JF again and going through the whole unlock/relock process and then hitting "Outro" several times in a row.

I don't know if this will work for you, but I have done quite a few and every time I run into this problem, the "Outro" button hits works every time and it's been way too many times for me to just be a fluke and, honestly, I don't care too much into looking into what causes it or why it happens as long as it keeps working. "---

Jun 4, 2010
If the drive doesn't spin then it means you drilled too deep and you've killed the MT chip. Time for a replacement PCB and probably an unlocked TX one for you.

amtz86

Mar 27, 2010
if that was the case then the tray wouldn't eject either correct? Doesn't necessarily mean i killed the drive. I hand drilled very slowly until it unlocked, i can even unlock it with the alcohol. write, read. Just trying to stay positive and not jump to any conclusions but ill try out a new laser today brb

Jun 4, 2010
Just from experience, you can still have an ejecting drive but still doesn't spin. Like I said, test a different PCB in your drive or test the PCB in a different drive and if you get the same result then you got your answer.

Jun 4, 2010
Go for the first one with MXIC chip as it also has the sputnik switch installed. Or spend few more bucks and get TX unlocked pcb v1.1.

Reactions: amtz86

Martin C

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2004
Scotland, UK
www.team-xecuter.com
Drilling too deep can not only kill the chip, but the laser too. Even if the eject still works, the part of the IC which controls power to the laser can get fizzed too.

amtz86

Mar 27, 2010
Thanks just bought the mxic chip'd pcb. Do i need the sputnik probe to unlock it or will the TX-probe work?

Jun 4, 2010
You'll need the sputnik probe. Of course you can make your own as well.

amtz86

Mar 27, 2010
i just remembered i already have a sputniks unlock switch lying around, i can do without the probe. Well thanks for all the help, this cut and solder method for the new pcb should be quick from what i'm reading. last question because ill be replacing pcbs it doesn't matter if the one i had was the winbound 05, because ill be replacing with the mxic 03.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2010
It doesn't matter, so long PCB has got stock or LT3.0 on it and locked you will be ok.

amtz86

Mar 27, 2010
Slim 0401 swapped for 0272 FW pcb

I installed the new pcb and it read on JF. Hit intro and went into status 0x72, hit clear spi status because it reads as locked and the dots just continue to spill out on JF, so i switch to Normal on the sputnik switch and nothing. Keep in mind the sputnik switch on this pcb i bought looks different then a separate sputnik switch i bought some time ago(has adjustable ohms). I also do not have a sputnik probe but i do have a TX probe v.3

Can anyone help please