LITEON DG-16D4S - SLIM Soldered New DVD PCB, Now Only Plays DVD Movies

420istoday

Noob Account
Apr 20, 2015
Hello All, we originally had a Lite-On DG-16D4S A9504 A0A0 that would not read DVD games or movies. I ordered a same Lite-On DG-16D4S A9504 A0A0 from Amazon and simply put in the new DVD drive. Now the Xbox was able to play DVD movies, though when a DVD game is inserted games were not recognized at all and did not say "Play". I found out that the old pcb from the original drive needed to be swapped into the new drive assembly. I soldered in the original DVD pcb into the new DVD drive, and now when a DVD game is inserted, the "Play" appears and when we hit enter to play the game, we now get this error message:

" To play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console. "

with the error message repeated in about 8 other foreign languages below the english error message.

The dashboard was originally and still is 13599 and when I use JungleFlasher with x360USB PRO 2 it says the drive is Rev 0272. I was able to extract the drive key with JF.

What is the next step to get this to play games again? Did I lock up the Xbox when originally just swapped in the new drive without soldering the original pcb?

420istoday

Noob Account
Apr 20, 2015
Hello Turny and thanks for the reply; I failed to mention originally the box was full of dust and some animal hair was wrapped around the original DVD drive spindle; it wasn't able to play DVD movies or games. I blew out the dust and debris with a ESD compliant vacuum but them the box was only able to play DVD movies. I then swapped the drive with the replacement from Amazon without swapping the pcb; that's when I think I locked up the box.

keil423

VIP Member
Hmm. It plays movies but also recognizes games as a DVD. Sounds to me like it's got the wrong drive key. Perhaps the previous owner had already tried a drive swap.
If this is the case you have to rgh the console to retrieve the keys and compar against the key on the drive.

Reactions: 420istoday

420istoday

Noob Account
Apr 20, 2015
Hello keil and thanks for the insight, I now remember what happened originally:

1. We originally ordered and installed a wrong drive for the slim, a Hitachi LG DL10N.

2. We then ordered the correct Lite-On DG-16D4S 9504 and installed it without swapping the DVD pcb.

3. We then soldered in the original pcb into the new drive assembly and are left with the unit
playing movies and recognizing games as a game though when hitting play, we get the error:
" To play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console. "

Do these boxes trigger a lockdown if a wrong drive is installed? Do you think the only way to remedy this is to do the
rgh?

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
don't think wrong drive key will recognize game as game.. it will just say "play dvd"
wrong,on newer dashes,sometime round 14719 i think,itll say play game but loop back to dash.the pic of the game will never display. to orig poster,your sure you now have the correct dvd drive pcb that came in the box,in it now?