Soldering Advice for CR4 XL?

Modded X Name

Noob Account
May 20, 2015
Hi, first off I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

I'm planning on installing a CR4 XL on my Jasper console.

I have done RF board ring of light mods, controller ROL and controller rapid fire installs. However some of points on the back of the Xbox 360 motherboard that need to be soldered for the CR4 XL are tiny.

I was hoping that some experts on these forums could recommend what kind of soldering iron I should be using for such tiny points and what Wattage it should be at.

Maybe even link me to one on ebay/amazon that would be fit for the job.

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate the advice.

Orangeprofessor

VIP Member
Oct 27, 2013
The Third Dimension
Use flux, take your time. Recommend iron: Hakko FX-888. If you feel like you been on a point for more then 15 seconds, let it cool and come back to it.

Last edited:

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
i would def get some decent flux,and learn how you can make solder flow onto smaller points on a practice pcb off of something.once ya get a feel for how you can make it flow in diff situations,ya got it made.

Krafter

VIP Member
Apr 17, 2011
Indiana
Use the right tip for the job. Don't use a wide tip for small points. Small points also require a lower temperature.

As nofel suggested. Learn how to "flow" solder. You don't place solder on a point. You flow it on. What ever you're solder should melt the solder and not the iron. The iron just provides the heat.

Modded X Name

Noob Account
May 20, 2015
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have ordered the iron Orangeprofessor recommended and will make sure to flow the solder. I have also got solder with a flux core. Thanks again guys its much appreciated.

Orangeprofessor

VIP Member
Oct 27, 2013
The Third Dimension
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have ordered the iron Orangeprofessor recommended and will make sure to flow the solder. I have also got solder with a flux core. Thanks again guys its much appreciated.
Cool, glad to hear:biggrin:

ablegepu

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2014
Alabama U.S
most solder has flux core but you still really need a container of extra flux or a flux pen. A lot of the times the flux inside the core of the solder is not enough and if you are touching the iron to the solder the flux burns off before it can deoxidize the pads you are soldering to.

If you hold your iron on one of those tiny pads for 15 seconds, the pad is most likely going to detach from the board. Like john said just a few seconds at the right temp and you should have it done, if not then wait let it cool 15 or 20 seconds and try again.

Something you will learn that helps is to flux and tin all the points you will be soldering before you solder anything to them, Especially header points like J2C1 and J2C3. The flux will deoxidize the pads (clean them) and help the solder flow onto the pad. The flux also helps transfer heat more efficiently from your iron to The pad you are soldering. FLUX IS A MUST...

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
most solder has flux core but you still really need a container of extra flux or a flux pen. A lot of the times the flux inside the core of the solder is not enough and if you are touching the iron to the solder the flux burns off before it can deoxidize the pads you are soldering to.

If you hold your iron on one of those tiny pads for 15 seconds, the pad is most likely going to detach from the board. Like john said just a few seconds at the right temp and you should have it done, if not then wait let it cool 15 or 20 seconds and try again.

Something you will learn that helps is to flux and tin all the points you will be soldering before you solder anything to them, Especially header points like J2C1 and J2C3. The flux will deoxidize the pads (clean them) and help the solder flow onto the pad. The flux also helps transfer heat more efficiently from your iron to The pad you are soldering. FLUX IS A MUST...
kingbo rma-218 is awesome.just have to make sure your getting legitimate kingbo.

Ian H

Feb 16, 2013
U.K.
What flux would you guys recommend (uk based).
To the op, deffo practice especially if your getting a new iron, they all are a bit (nice pun) different. Old pc motherboards are good or old TV's etc.....

Cheers
Ian

nofeloniesyet

VIP Member
Jan 16, 2011
Nowhere
What flux would you guys recommend (uk based).
To the op, deffo practice especially if your getting a new iron, they all are a bit (nice pun) different. Old pc motherboards are good or old TV's etc.....

Cheers
Ian
the only flux i know of (off hand) uk based is insat international super flux,and i only use it for reattatch on bga reball myself,everything else i use kingbo-rma-218.worked with alooooooot of diff sh*t in my years perfecting sh*t,and this is what i have stayed with.