Soldering Equipment & Advice

Xecuter

Staff member
Top TX Brass
Dec 6, 2002
Asia
team-xecuter.com
We get asked a lot by beginners what is the best equipment and methods to use when soldering electronics such as the NAND-X kit.

Treat the following simply as a guide. You don't have to stick to the exact parts - but I have used these personally and do the job just fine.

Soldering Iron: For beginners the best advice is to get a 15 Watt soldering iron with a fine tip. You can use up to 30 Watt but you risk overheating your board / components if you are not experienced.
USA - Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062728
UK - Maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4052

Solder:
60/40 Rosin-Core Solder 0.032" Diameter is our preferred solder. It doesn't have to be EXACTLY this - but it's the one we recommend.
USA - Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062715
UK - Maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2819

Flux: The most important part of soldering is adding flux. it will make the solder process smooth, clean, fast and easy. Those who don't use flux are always the ones posting about problems they are having. Always use flux when soldering. Let me repeat this again ALWAYS USE FLUX WHEN SOLDERING !!! I personally use a Chemtronics No-Clean Flux Dispensing Pen - but its not cheap and is used mainly by pro's. You can use most kinds of Flux paste too.
USA - Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049774
UK - Maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33849

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I thought that silver bearing solder was better because, technically, it has better conductivity and a higher melting point...

Reactions: blackops696

BraveH43

VIP Member
Sep 13, 2008
Somewhere in the 'verse
Hey, I thought that silver bearing solder was better because, technically, it has better conductivity and a higher melting point...
Follow the link that Xecuter posted for the solder! the small tube one actually has "Lead Free Silver Solder" written on it lol!

TheNeck69

Jun 20, 2006
Beaumont, CA
Xecuter is totally correct about using FLUX. Ive never had to use flux with my other projects and never had a problem but with the nand-x i was getting the E79 error, so i decided to go out and get some flux, and right away it worked on the 1st try.

BTW AWESOME PRODUCT AGAIN TEAM XECUTER! TOTALLY WORTH THE WAIT

Follow the link that Xecuter posted for the solder! the small tube one actually has "Lead Free Silver Solder" written on it lol!
Really...don't know how I missed it :p Anyway, I still think I am gonna use the silver one...Because I just like silver more than other solder metals...Because it is, you know, after all, Silver :D.

gavster

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
Northampton, UK
Also, if you buy a flux pen, make sure that you get the no clean version as some are corrosive and your board will need to be cleaned with alcohol after install. no clean version is non corrosive so no need for cleanup.

It may be obvious to some but I can see the noob painting the whole area with corrosive flux and then wonder why the xbox packs up in a few weeks!

Mikey 64

Noob Account
Oct 31, 2005
Birmingham
After looking At some Of The Nand-x instal Pictures I,ve seen On here. I,d Be ashamed To Even photograph Such work. I,d Suggest If your A Newbie at Soldering, And You can,t get a Nice clean solder Joint. Take it To a professional. If You Value your Console. Don,t Complain About A product, If It looks like you,ve used A Hot-Knife on a stove, To do The Job :)

bouma

Noob Account
Apr 14, 2010
For beginners...
The whole soldering process gets way easier if you put some solder in/on those tiny soldering points before you put the adhesive QSBs on the motherboard.
You understand what I mean?

btw. I used an 8W iron - worked fine.
First time I did a JTAG hack, but I had no problems.
Great product! :)

jfelding

VIP Member
Feb 9, 2010
Denmark
So is it okay to use solder containing lead? I didn't think so..

So is it okay to use solder containing lead? I didn't think so..
Ofcourse it is. Before...like 5-6 years, everybody used it. But since then, some new studies came about the effects of lead on health etc...After that, silver bearing solder and lead free solder was introduced. Its still debated whether you should use lead containing solder or not, but in my opinion, if you don't have a lot of soldering to do, and just some little ones, and not very frequently, there's no harm in using lead containing solder.

But if you are into the technical specs of these things like melting point etc, then you would probably go for a lead free solder. Otherwise, its fine. Although if you have a choice, you should probably go with lead free, silver bearing solder.

Last edited:

Xmods

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2002
lead free melts @ 217 C
lead melts @ 186 C
silver melts @ 215 C

i prefer silver bearing over lead free or any rosin core

lead free melts @ 217 C
lead melts @ 186 C
silver melts @ 215 C

i prefer silver bearing over lead free or any rosin core
I too personally prefer silver bearing solder. But since I never had any major problem with lead solder, I don't see any harm in anyone using it for a little bit of soldering ;)

Last edited:

johnsondabeaut

Noob Account
Jun 11, 2010
in need of some flux, does it matter if it isn't no clean flux? not even if i just damp a litle bit on? ive been up and down every shop and can not find the no clean flux, and nearest maplin will cost me 8 quid to get there and back

johnsondabeaut

Noob Account
Jun 11, 2010
sorry noobie question but alcohol? like? hmm i'm just tempted to try with out flux :( im sure i can wait one more day lol just trying to get my soldering up to standards,, lol been taking things apart all day, so isn't there a subatute instead of flux? was speakin to someone they used to just use wd40 on everythin they soldered but i'm going back a good 15 year(this CB/Rig radio days)

modmonster

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2009
Cheshire, UK
xboxmods.wordpress.com
wd40 conducts electricity, so not a good idea. But it's sh*t hot on squeaking doors.
If you want to do a good job, get the right tools, wether it be flux or alcohol.
For alcohol you want isopropanol. I get mine from fleabay.

Last edited: